• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Report on the SKB 50 Caliber case 2SKB-6019

secondofangle

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2008
Utah
I saw this advertised in FCSA magazie High Power, and having just gotten rid of my Pelican 1770 for being a bit unwieldy, I got this one from Field Supply.

It arrived today in just a cardboard outer box and it was obviously damaged in transit. The ends are bent and don't line up to close on the corners, one worse than another.

This case is also ridiculously large and unwieldy and if filled to its capacity is not going to make weight with a 50# limit on most airlines.

Moreover, how can I trust it to protect a 50 BMG when it can't handle being shipped empty?

Also, I'm doubtful of the "strap it in" rather than "cut out the foam" design. The lack of foam in there is one way they reduced the weight so much....

SKB 50 Cal Case

IMG_20131216_185820390_zps3beaf661.jpg

IMG_20131216_185748429_zps1da00e26.jpg

I have 2 SKB cases and they have been on many flights with me one hunting trips and never had a problem with them. The pelican cases are much stronger I think but they also add so much more weight real quick.

I have 2 SKB cases and they have been on many flights with me one hunting trips and never had a problem with them. The pelican cases are much stronger I think but they also add so much more weight real quick.

Have you had issues like in the photos above?

+1 on SKB cases. Mine has had a lot of air miles on it and still in great shape.

+1 on SKB cases. Mine has had a lot of air miles on it and still in great shape.

My observation is: that the SKB cases have a durable shell, but that it is more flexible than the Pelican/Starlight/Storm thicker plastic. Thus, as the case dimensions increase, there is more flex making the case more susceptible to misalignment with the metal rim. Maybe the 50 cal case is too big and flexes too much.

The ultimate question is: if you paid $375 for this case, would you be satisfied with what I received? For me, the answer is definately NO. I should have kept the Pelican 1770.

For my long rifle, I just ordered the new Starlight 54" ID case. I will report on it after I receive it. I think it may turn out to be the ultimate compromise, knowing that my other Starlight 52" case does not align and close as well as Pelican and Storm cases I have owned.

Pelican 1770's sure are heavy but damn, those things are tough as nails.

if you paid $375 for this case, would you be satisfied with what I received?

Absolutely not.

DAMN!!!!
I would not have even ordered it at that price.
I have had mine for 12 years and it cost me $125.
I have a couple of Pelican/Storm cases and they do seem to be a better deal now.

I have never had this problem. Yes my case has some scratches and dents but never had a problem with the guns inside. I also like the fact that I can keep it under 50 pounds with 2 rifles and some ammo in it.

I have never had this problem. Yes my case has some scratches and dents but never had a problem with the guns inside. I also like the fact that I can keep it under 50 pounds with 2 rifles and some ammo in it.

This is not the standard case. It is the new 50 Cal case