• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Repro M82/M84 Copies

Pinecone

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2013
School me on the available repro M82 and M84 scopes.

I just purchased a Garand M1D from CMP.

I have a GI mount on the way from eBay.

I have heard that the M82 repros are pretty decent. But that the M84s are not so good. Any details? Any good M84 repros?

I can't swing a real M84 right now, as not only is the M1D coming home, but a Service Select Garand is coming as company. :)

Thanks

Everyone I talked too ref: the repo M84s were not happy with them. The same for the early M82s.

But the latest M82s are of excellent quality. To the point the CMP started selling them. The CMP M82s are later model HiLux and come with mounts for the 'A4.

The M-82s were used on M1C/Ds, therefore are legal in CMP Vintage Sniper Matches. Rule 4.2.3, Table 2, "Legal Vintage Sniper Rifles and Scopes"

I don't have a M1C/D, but I've used several in running National Guard Sniper Schools using the C/D's. The M84 (originals) work but they have a rather thick post sight (as does my Weaver K 2.5). The M82s also have a post sight with horizontal wire, the difference is the post is much thinner on the M82.

With the M84 and the K 2.5 I had to use a 6 o'clock hold where as with the thinner post on the M82, I can use it as one would use a cross hair. Just the top of the cross hair (post) doesn't go all the way to the top but you have enough you can center it like a cross hair.

As I said, I have the Weaver K 2.5, but I got a CMP repo M82 and put it on my 'A4. I haven't shot a match with it, but from what I've seen shooting it so far, I can do much better with the M82.

PLUS and this is a big plus, the Repo M82 is sealed, the original's weren't.

Both the M82 & 84 have half min clicks, so there is no difference there.

Anyway, I'm registered to shoot the Vintage Rifle Match in the CMP OK City games in Aprils, I'll use the M82 and compare the scores with the matches where I used my K 2.5 and see which one stays on the rifle.

Back to the M1D: Everyone has his/her opinions, based on experience and how they use the rifle so take my opinion for what it is, "my opinion"

If I was to build a M1D, (which I will this year) I'll go with a CMP service grade D, and use the CMPs repo M82. I would go with the original mount, though more expensive. I've heard too many bad stories about the repo mounts.

Since I'm into shooting as opposed to collecting, I do with an after market check peace. I wouldn't put on a muzzle brake/flash hider. In my sniper schools we found out the detracted from accuracy. I'm not trying to hide from anyone and matches are in the daylight so I see no need.

The main thing, after glass, is to get the cheek piece property set up. It isn't designed to get your head higher on the stock, its designed to push your head away from (to the left) of the stock so your eye lines up with the offset scope, allowing you to keep your head straight.

Good luck on you M1D, and take it to a CMP VSR match, let her show you what she is capable of.

Thanks. I will go with the M82.

My club shoots vintage sniper matches, so it will get used. :)

I am also in it for a shooter, so I am getting the Service Grade M1D. I do have to fix the rear sight, the cover is bent (too flat) and the aperture wiggles around. One of the CMP people looked it over, and while it is a Springfield receiver, there are some bastard parts. The safety is either Winchester or H&R (I forget what he said), and a couple of other parts.

I will not pay the price for an original cheekpiece ($250 versus $30). I did pick up the GI scope mount.

So it sounds like I am on the right track.

I am not a fan of the M84 and have not tried the repro. The optics and adjustments are OK, but as Kraig says, the pointed reticule is way too fat for me to use it well. The M81 and M82 scopes/Alaskans are easier to use IMO, especially an M81 or Alaskan with crosshairs. A post reticule is not my thing. The M73b1 is also hard for me to use and the optics are worse.

I feel sure that folks are having an uphill battle using an M1C or D in VSM. Semiautos are much harder to make accurate. That is why the majority of semi-auto snipers service fielded have been less than ideal. The SVT was replaced by the PU. The G43 never came close to keeping up with the K98 snipers and the shooters rarely had anything good to say about it in comparing the two rifles. The M1ds were replaced by a bolt action, the M40 and later Remingtons. The M14 was tried inbetween but it less than satisfactory. Although some semi autos remain in US and worldwide as snipers, the bolt action continues to be the primary sniper of most nations. The M1 flyer thing has always seemed true in my experience because I get a flyer about every 5 shots no matter what I do.

First time ever shooting an M1C, I was getting near zero in 3 or 4 shoots. I decided to go ahead and shoot a 5 shot group at 100 yds with M72 match. A friend was spotting and a serviceman with his German friends(he had been recently assigned to Germany), who were visiting he had brought them to the range, also had a couple spotting scopes. I had no idea that three folks were watching me shoot, I was too busy trying to see the target with a dirty Alaskan scope. Little known to me but my first 4 shots made a ragged hole. The range was totally silent and I had no idea where I was hitting. The fifth shot was 1.5 inches from the other 4 and I had no feeling I had messed up but a big sigh came from the Germans and an Oh sh came from my spotter. I seconded my spotter's comments when I looked through my spotter scope, especially when they told me the flyer was shot number 5.

When I shoot an M1, I get 10-20% flyers period. Sometimes a bit less than this example, but I get them.