• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reprogramming RCBS chargemaster- settings

ChadTRG42

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2007
Dallas, Texas
www.dallasreloads.com
I know this has been covered before, but I wanted to pass on some settings to enter into your chargemaster that make it fly, and still provide accurate throws. You can go to this website to see how to get into the programming. Once in the programming mode, on the 4th setting:

(MSP_A2 39.20), change that to 20
(MSP_B2 8.55), change that to 6
(MSP_C2 2.25), change that to 1.75

If you go much lower on the settings, you get a lot of over throws. If you find this is too fast, then increase the 6 and 1.75 setting slightly. These settings are for charges in the 308 Win charge weight range. This made my chargemaster much faster. I still finish the final weight on an Acculab VIC-123 for precise charge amounts to .02 grains, though.
Hope this helps!

Chad

Re: Reprogramming RCBS chargemaster- settings

Adding a reducer and changing those settings will make the CM incredibly accurate.

P1040486.jpg

P1040485.jpg

A McDonald's straw alone is useless... roll a piece of paper around a 3/16" rod and insert it. I haven't gotten around to machining a permanent one yet. The tube restricts the flow of the powder so that you don't get a big clump of powder putting it over your weight. I've found that different diameter holes work better for different powders.

I only adjusted these software parameters:

HSP_A1 to 8.00
HSP_B1 to 3.00
HSP_C1 to 1.00

Its slower, but it doesn't overflow at all. You can see a single kernel or two put it on the desired weight each time. I get SD's in the singles without having to trickle up.

Other useful tips:

-When you remove the pan to dump it, always check that the readout is -(pan weight).

-Watch for static buildup between the housing and the plastic platform. It causes errors.

-Auto mode is not your friend if you're going for accuracy. It doesn't give the scale enough time to settle on zero.

Kris,

Gonna have to disagree with you slightly, based on my experience.

The McD's straw isn't there for constriction, its to provide a smooth surface that the powder kernels can't 'climb' like they do on the 'threads' on the inside of the dispenser tube - which leads to them coming out in a clump.

I have mine *sped up* (don't recall the exact settings right off hand) and I very rarely get any over-thrown charges. Quick enough to remove a few kernels w/ a plastic spoon, put the pan back on the scale to verify, and carry on.

I have weighed a fair number (few thousand) of charges from the Chargemaster to a milligram scale (Acculab VIC-123), almost all of which have been in 'auto' mode - and I can count on one hand, with fingers left over, how many times the charge dispensed by the Chargemaster was not within +/- 0.1gr of the indicated value.

Some of this may simply be due to variations between your unit and mine. Dunno.

Take care,

Monte

P.S. for the guys doing the 'tag' bit... here's a hint: go to the top of the page and right next to where it says 'New Reply', there is another link for 'Topic Options'. You can add this thread to your Watched Topics and get notifications of new posts, etc. without having to add useless 'tag' posts to a thread. Try it. You might like it
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memilanuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The McD's straw isn't there for constriction, its to provide a smooth surface that the powder kernels can't 'climb' like they do on the 'threads' on the inside of the dispenser tube - which leads to them coming out in a clump.</div></div>

This is my experience as well, the straw alone helps a ton to reduce the clumps of kernals falling in, no real restriction needed for me.

Chad, or anyone:

Do you have recommended params for the heavy weight charges like the 300 RUM, etc?

No, I just play with the higher end numbers (for the range of powder I'm throwing), and decrease them until I find a good spot I like. I changed mine for some 50BMG loads, and it sped that up. Basically, cut the numbers by half, and see what that does. If it doesn't stop in time, then increase the number some, and it will work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know this has been covered before, but I wanted to pass on some settings to enter into your chargemaster that make it fly, and still provide accurate throws. You can go to this website to see how to get into the programming. Once in the programming mode, on the 4th setting:

If you go much lower on the settings, you get a lot of over throws. If you find this is too fast, then increase the 6 and 1.75 setting slightly. These settings are for charges in the 308 Win charge weight range. This made my chargemaster much faster. I still finish the final weight on an Acculab VIC-123 for precise charge amounts to .02 grains, though.

Hope this helps!

Chad

</div></div>

changing to these setting along with a straw insert would work well with my charge of 43.5 to 44.5gr of varget for my 308 loads? and would this still work with a smaller charge of varget for my 5.56 loads of 24.4gr?
thanks.

Reactions: Cameron Mitchell

Changed to these setting + the McD straw trick with RE-15 works like a champ.
Throws the charge anywhere between 15-30 seconds.
Accuracy has been acceptional.
Out of 200 charges, 2 had to get tossed back for being .1 grain heavy.

These settings sped things up quite a bit for me, but for the first time now I'll get the occasional overthrow. I think I'll try the straw trick also.

I really like the auto dispense feature. The scale must be stable at 0 for the auto dispense to kick on. It saves me a bunch of time. I can usually dump, grab a bullet, seat the bullet and insert into the case and the next charge will almost be ready. Another thing is that I almost never turn off the machine. And of course I calibrate before and during every loading session.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These settings sped things up quite a bit for me, but for the first time now I'll get the occasional overthrow. I think I'll try the straw trick also.</div></div>

The straw trick will help a bunch with the overthrows.

This Straw Technique sucks, i can't ever get my charge master to come off zero.

ChargemasterStaw.jpg

Haha

Maybe its just cause its a Wendy's straw and not a Mcdonalds.
wink.gif

<span style="font-weight: bold">4Rail_Gunner
LOL Thanks, just spit my drink on my keyboard</span>

Been using these settings awhile, but noticed it would still take forever to trickle the final .5gr or so. I changed the C2 from 1.75 to 1.5 and it is extremely fast and lands right ont he money 19/20 times.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know this has been covered before, but I wanted to pass on some settings to enter into your chargemaster that make it fly, and still provide accurate throws. You can go to this website to see how to get into the programming. Once in the programming mode, on the 4th setting:

Hope this helps!

Chad

</div></div>

changing to these setting along with a straw insert would work well with my charge of 43.5 to 44.5gr of varget for my 308 loads? and would this still work with a smaller charge of varget for my 5.56 loads of 24.4gr?
thanks.
</div></div>
Yeah, I'd like to know this too. I load both .308 and .223 and would like to speed up the CM but want to make sure it will work for both load ranges.

I use Varget for the .308 and TAC for .223 if that makes a difference.

If TAC is anything like Xterminator, I find the straw screws it up more than it helps, so I remove it when using that powder.

Ill look at my settings tommorrow and see if they also help with 223 loads.

Its really not as scary as people make it sound, its quite easy to mess around with it and find what settings work best for you. As long as you write down the original settings you are fine, you cant destroy it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If TAC is anything like Xterminator, I find the straw screws it up more than it helps, so I remove it when using that powder.

Its really not as scary as people make it sound, its quite easy to mess around with it and find what settings work best for you. As long as you write down the original settings you are fine, you cant destroy it. </div></div>

Very true... and all of the original settings are listed on a few sites in case you do forget.

Do you guys that say "tag" know that you can click "Topic Options" at the top of the page, and then click "add to my watched topics", the "tag" posts add unnecessary length to threads.

Does anyone have an issue where if your scale is sitting at 0..

it will sit for a few seconds at 0... then go to .1, then .2, then to .1 again, then to 0.... and just keeps cycling like that if you dont touch it...

Mine always does this even with the plastic air blocker cover on it.

Are you leaving it turned on for a while? (I don't turn mine off)

Is the temp in the room stable? (Gear isn't fighting with temp shifts at same time)

Once it is stabilized and calibrated, I wouldn't expect more than maybe the ocassional .1 drift to and from zero in the absence of breezes.

temps are stable, i turn it on about an hour before i start using it, and i calibrate it. Usually varies .2 in a single direction only and back down to zero.

0...... .1......0..........1 ......2.........1........2......0

Thats a pattern you might see in a 30 second period

Been wanting to do some of these things just need to take the time to do it. Good info. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomekeuro85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">temps are stable, i turn it on about an hour before i start using it, and i calibrate it. Usually varies .2 in a single direction only and back down to zero.

Thats a pattern you might see in a 30 second period </div></div>

Sounds like static electricity. Wipe the platen and the dispenser nozzle down with a used dryer sheet and it might take care of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kelbro</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomekeuro85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">temps are stable, i turn it on about an hour before i start using it, and i calibrate it. Usually varies .2 in a single direction only and back down to zero.

Thats a pattern you might see in a 30 second period </div></div>

Sounds like static electricity. Wipe the platen and the dispenser nozzle down with a used dryer sheet and it might take care of it. </div></div>Baby wipes work well for getting rid of the static as well.

Just did this mod today, wished I had done it 200 rounds ago (when I got the chargemaster.)

It speeds things up a ton. I'm going to see if I can tweak it a bit and speed things up further, now that I understand how it works.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fisky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tag </div></div>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/W8hb_7YophY"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W8hb_7YophY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fisky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tag </div></div>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/W8hb_7YophY"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W8hb_7YophY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>
</div></div>

tag

had too!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If TAC is anything like Xterminator, I find the straw screws it up more than it helps, so I remove it when using that powder.

Its really not as scary as people make it sound, its quite easy to mess around with it and find what settings work best for you. As long as you write down the original settings you are fine, you cant destroy it. </div></div>

Did anyone ever find out a good setting that will work for both .223 and .308 load weights? I'm going to go home and reprogram my CM to go faster, but I'd rather have accuracy over speed. So hopefully the charges will still be as good as they are now. And yes, I'll write down the factory settings 1st.....