• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Repurpose a Weatherby Vanguard

leclairk

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2019
I’ve got a 5ish year old Weatherby Vanguard chambered in .270. I haven’t shot it in years, have no ammo for it, and it has never grouped well. I’d like to repurpose it and put a 30-06 cf proof barrel on it. Do they make prefits for that action? Is it considered a Rem LA footprint?

Weatherby is the same as a howa 1500 footprint which is NOT a Remington footprint.

I believe .270 is short action while 30-06 is long action. So not interchangeable unless you want to single feed.

Vanguards are based on a Howa action. There are many companies making Savage style replacements with barrel nuts. And no, the Howa action is not Rem 700 based.

I found this doing an internet search.

I have no experience with this company however.

270 Win, correct. Like stated above OR Mountain rifles makes a prefit but not in 30-06. Guess I’m forced to buy a new rifle if I want a 30-06.

Mcgowan will make you a howage barrel in 30-06. I’m sure others will too.
I’m sure you could find a local smith that will rebarrel it for you in 30-06 just like having a remington 700 rebarrelled.

Shaw Custom Barrels does not get much love here, but they might can rebarrel your rifle for not a lot of money. My experience is that they do excellent work. I have a .35 Whelen barrel they installed on a ruger 77 and I have a friend who had them install a 7-08 barrel on a Remington. Both rifles shoot exceptionally well. (Of course, I have had great luck with my Vanguard.)

Shaw Custom Barrels