• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Repurposing a full length body die

va_connoisseur

Private
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2018
I have a set of Hornady Match Grade dies for .308 that I know longer use. If I remove the pin/innards from the FL sizer, will be still bump the shoulders without effecting the neck? (I have a collet die for neck sizing).

I speak from experience having tried the same thing. Your die will still squeeze the neck down and, at least in my case, the mandrel from the Lee collet neck die wouldn’t fit into the neck. Unfortunately, it doesn’t function the same as a body die.

Either cut the neck completely off or buy a Redding Body die. A body die and Lee Collet neck die will produce extremely straight ammo.
This is how I size my 6AI brass, my bullet run out is less than .0015" av .

Thanks for the info. I had a spare set sitting around and wanted to use it. I'll just use it for the AR-10

Removing the expander ball from a FL sizing die will result in the neck being sized down smaller than with the expander ball. The opposite of what you're trying to accomplish.

Reactions: Yote Klr
The match grade dies are bushing dies....

Op yes you can do this. I have the same dies and have done this very thing before. Just remove your bushing and the neck will not be touched.