• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reputable Gunsmith/gunshop in Michigan needed

NovaHunter

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2011
Virginia
I have a friend who lives in East Lansing, Michigan. He bought himself a Seekins Havak PH2, Burris XTR3 scope, and Seekins Precision Matched rings for a hunting setup and occasional range use. This is his first rifle in the semi-custom quality range, and best scope he's bought thus far.

He'd like to make sure the scope is mounted correctly. I live in Virginia, and don't know Michigan area smiths or gunshops at all.

Anyone have a recommendation for a gunsmith or gunshop that can correctly mount the scope in the East Lansing area?

I would really try to steer him to doing it himself. Great learning process and rather than paying a smith to do it he can use that money to buy the tools he gets to keep after. Also I would worry about having eye relief not being correct etc. Is he going to sit there and play with it to get it set right with a smith sitting there?

Arisaka Optic Leveler (Although I just use automotive feeler gauges) - $28 (or feeler gauge set for $8)
Wheeler Fat Wrench - $47
You can buy both of these on amazon and have to your door in 2 days with prime. He can just set the rifle up on the kitchen table with bipod and rear bag to get level-ish to work on it.

As long as he follows the torque specs from the manufacturer on the rings which is usually on the packaging or a card with them I would struggle to see how he could screw this up?

I can hop on a zoom call / phone call with him to walk him through process if he is that nervous about it.

I would really try to steer him to doing it himself. Great learning process and rather than paying a smith to do it he can use that money to buy the tools he gets to keep after. Also I would worry about having eye relief not being correct etc. Is he going to sit there and play with it to get it set right with a smith sitting there?

Arisaka Optic Leveler (Although I just use automotive feeler gauges) - $28 (or feeler gauge set for $8)
Wheeler Fat Wrench - $47
You can buy both of these on amazon and have to your door in 2 days with prime. He can just set the rifle up on the kitchen table with bipod and rear bag to get level-ish to work on it.

As long as he follows the torque specs from the manufacturer on the rings which is usually on the packaging or a card with them I would struggle to see how he could screw this up?

I can hop on a zoom call / phone call with him to walk him through process if he is that nervous about it.

^ This dude nailed it

There’s a place called Bachelder in GR that’s supposed to be good. Only an hour away.

I'm a RO at Tulip City Rod & Gun Club in Holland, MI. Our club has a 100 yard indoor Rifle Range, and this time of year it's heated! Send me a PM, and I'll give you my number if interested? I can walk him through how to mount the scope and the different types of bore sights. I have a guest pass waiting so...

I appreciate the offers to walk him through mounting the scope on his own. I could do that myself. He asked for shop where he could have someone mount it correctly for him.

I'll have him check out Bachelder.

Reactions: Bluedog82
People pay gunsmiths for that?

Our LGS has a fat wrench and levels off to the side. They pull you over there, make sure the eye relief is right and get it setup before it even leaves the store.

I haven't met a gunsmith that wouldn't tell you to quit wasting his time unless he had to build a mount for something off the wall.