• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Required accuracy of powder charge when developing loads.

RetiredChief

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2021
Newport News Va
When you are working up a load to find the most accurate powder charge, What accuracy do you require? Also what delta do you use between loads. I use 0.2 grains (ie 40.0, 40.2, ect).

Listed accuracy for many of the digital powder scales is ± 0.1 grains so my powder charge could be as low as 39.96 grains, or as high as 40.04 grains. Is this accurate enough for load development?

Hove two digital scales, a Frankford Arsenal Platinum (± 0.1 grains) and a Gempro 250 (± 0.02 grains).

Both of these I have to what out for temperate drift. I normally leave on for 15-.30 min before use, maybe I should leave on longer.

I also have a 45 year old Beam Balance (Brand name “Texan” – LOL). Time consuming, but I can measure down to the .05 grains.

Last edited:
ladder test : std cartridge .02-.04 increments mag cartridge .04-.06 increments // in some special situations .08 increments

scale deviation .. My OLD school digital scale reads ( 00.00 grains ) / example 42.09 grains

Im completely happy with a variation of :

target charge : 43.2

high : 43.29

low : 42.29

but im just a truck driver... use my advise cautiously

Why are you staring two separate threads on the exact same topic?

Have one of these threads deleted.