• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Residue in barrel promote corrosion when damp?

JimGnitecki

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2011
Austin, TX
I know that modern powders are not like black powder, in that they don't aggressively promote corrosion if residue is left in the barrel after firing.

But . . .

If you were to fire 30 to 70 rounds through a barrel at a rnage session, store it uncleaned,and the weather got damp, would the presence in the barrel of residue that can hold moisture promote corrosion of a non-chrome barrel?

I have always cleaned my rifles and handguns as soon after a range sessino as possible, with this being one of my concerns. Am I being concerned about something that is not really likely to happen?

Jim G

Re: Residue in barrel promote corrosion when damp?

Sure it could. The cheaper the barrel the worse it would be. Best bet is if you are in a moisture high area maybe shoot a little "Wipeout" down the tube before you head home.

Re: Residue in barrel promote corrosion when damp?

I have had repeated problems reported and personal experience with Wipeout causing rust. Shooting moly bullets mixed with moisture from condensation alone will etch stainless barrel steel and severely eat a steel barrel.

Even if you can't clean it thoroughly a oil wetted patch will go a long ways to protecting your bore.