• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Resigning myself to the poor man's approach: lefty TC Dimension

dmike

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2012
Northern VA
So I have a bunch of wish list rifles in my brain but somehow this girl that won't get out of my house got pregnant. Reality is on it's way and I'm trying to figure out how to be responsible and still enjoy my hobby. Plus I'm a lefty and I've been wanting to try a left hander like the T3 in .260 but it's always more expensive (really want the stiller left bolt/right port because shooting right handers I like being able to see what's going on...yeah I know about having my face right there).

Anyway I saw this lefty dimension on sale for $500. for those of you that don't know, you can get a change barrel for less than $200 and you can even change bolts for LA. Their own dbm and cheapo 3-rd mags, Tupperware stock but good float clearance. Seems like a market flop but given my circumstances it might be the only way I'm going to be able to play around with other calibers. Not much about them on the hide I don't think but I don't have a lot of google fu and trying to search "dimension" gets a lot of saami type stuff.

Mixed reviews on the trigger with no apparent aftermarket options, but TC guarantees 3-shot MOA so that's not too bad. I went ahead and got the 308 along with a 243 and 7-08, that's 3 left hand rifles with guaranteed moa for about $900. Not ideal but like I said, I'm trying to negotiate with reality. We'll see how she (they) shoot!

So I have a bunch of wish list rifles in my brain but somehow this girl that won't get out of my house got pregnant. Reality is on it's way and I'm trying to figure out how to be responsible and still enjoy my hobby. Plus I'm a lefty and I've been wanting to try a left hander like the T3 in .260 but it's always more expensive (really want the stiller left bolt/right port because shooting right handers I like being able to see what's going on...yeah I know about having my face right there).

Anyway I saw this lefty dimension on sale for $500. for those of you that don't know, you can get a change barrel for less than $200 and you can even change bolts for LA. Their own dbm and cheapo 3-rd mags, Tupperware stock but good float clearance. Seems like a market flop but given my circumstances it might be the only way I'm going to be able to play around with other calibers. Not much about them on the hide I don't think but I don't have a lot of google fu and trying to search "dimension" gets a lot of saami type stuff.

Mixed reviews on the trigger with no apparent aftermarket options, but TC guarantees 3-shot MOA so that's not too bad. I went ahead and got the 308 along with a 243 and 7-08, that's 3 left hand rifles with guaranteed moa for about $900. Not ideal but like I said, I'm trying to negotiate with reality. We'll see how she (they) shoot!

I ran into the same thing, with the pregnant other. Having 9 months to prepare, I went balls to the wall and finished my precision rifle over the course of two months (It had been "in the works" for two years prior). The way I saw it, once that baby arrives, I'm sure to be piss poor, so figured I had better finish the things I wanted while I still could.

Kudos for making sacrifices for the family. Those feel like tough decisions but once the family is here I think you find that a decision between an individual want and a family need (or even want) is no real decision at all.

I hear u man, glad u got ur priorities right. We just had a little girl 2 mo ago, they don't leave u much time for shooting/reloading,lol. I sold to custom savages i built, model 10 6 br in aics and a brux barreled model 12 in a pdc with older mk4 loopy. They covered a new AI AE mk3 6.5 cm and a little bit of optic. The ai arrived at my ffl May1, same day as the stork brought my girl.

The ai arrived at my ffl May1, same day as the stork brought my girl.
Nice! That's a day to remember...

Congrats on the new addition to your family. Hope everyone is happy and well. Have you had a chance to shoot the rifle yet?

Haha, lifes not over. Wait until your 6th shows up! :) It's not all that expensive until they start shooting. I now have a whole load of shooting buddies. Always someone to go shooting with.

Congrats, I think.

If it's a little girl don't forget to save enough for a pistol, and every year on her birthday put another round in the mag so you're fully loaded and ready to meet her first boyfriend when she turns 16 (I'd recommend a Glock 17 with 33 round mag for this application though).

As others have said, it's great your priorities are straight. Kids, wife and family are wonderful and will brighten your life. If you can afford it go with the cheapo you have been looking at, so at least you can continue to shoot. If you are worried about more kids (I know they can show up from time to time) discuss with your wife about getting yourself "fixed" and you won't wind up kid poor for the next 40 years. Hope it's not a girl or you'll be toast. Even with one girl weddings can get very expensive. If it's a boy, you can start him shooting about 8 or 9 and you'll have many enjoyable years of shooting together. Congratulations and good luck!

Everyone is good and i've had a chance to put about 400 rds down it. I'm a farmer so i can walk out of the shop and shoot steel to 1325 yds at any time that i'm not in a tractor,lol. It's a hammer, best group at 100 is .117" and at 1k is 4 1/2".

Great shooting. Sounds like you have it made. I want to thank you farmers for your hard mostly unappreciated work, which allows us all to feed our families well at a reasonable price. The whole world benefits from your efforts.

Ok got the rifle. Observations:
looks and feels like something out of the toy aisle at kmart. very light.

Trigger is mushy for about 1mm then crisp. Maybe 3 lbs?

Trigger adjustment screw seems to be loctited in, cant get it to budge either way and allen is bending.

As weird as the stock is, I kind of like it.

Bolt removal and replacement is a pita, I've already scuffed up the stock a bunch.

3 rd mag feels cheap and not totally secure.

No recoil lug. ?

The included torque wrench is kind of cool (action screws, barrel nut)

More to follow...

Attachments

• 20140722_211547.jpg
    20140722_211547.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2