• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Resizing .308 brass to .260

superde

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2003
Bryan, Texas
I've got over 2,000 pieces of once fired Black Hills .308 brass that i would like to turn into .260 Remington brass. Do I need/have to anneal it? What all am I going to need to do to get this done?

Re: Resizing .308 brass to .260

Lube it, FL size it in a 260 die, Measure OAL (probably okay), might need to trim a bit to square up neck, chamfer and shoot. Have done 100s, no sweat.

This is safe, however necking UP 308 to 338 Federal or 358 WRA COULD lead to a big boom if someone just read the headstamp and managed to stuff it in a 308.
(I neck up 308s too but put red paint across the case end as a reminder)

Depending on your chamber you might need to turn and/or ream the necks too. I found that when I necked a 30-06 down to a 6.5-06 the neck diamter that resulted was too tight.

Otherwise, what he said...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depending on your chamber you might need to turn and/or ream the necks too. I found that when I necked a 30-06 down to a 6.5-06 the neck diamter that resulted was too tight. </div></div>

+1. I would also look at getting a 7mm-08 sizing die. I would size it to 7mm, then to 260. You typically want to reduce in size about .020" in each step of sizing down.

10-4 on what Chad said. This is the process I use. If you go straight to 260 from 308 you will get crooked necks. With a 7-08 die you won't have this problem.

The Rem260 Douglas long chambered 98 Mauser barrel is .299" rear of the neck and .298" forward.
The stock Forster size die is .284"

Seating a 140 gr at 2.925", there is some lands engagement.
The neck measures .297" with the LC97 brass

What does it all mean?
1) .001 to .002" clearance, which is ideal, on the brass I tried.
2) Buy some pin gauges

Is that a 7-08 full lenght die from 308 and then 260 FL?

What is going to be a more lasting case when formed properly, 243 up or 308 down?

Been there done that, not really going there again. .308 to 7-08, then 7-08 to .260, then neck turning, then fireforming. Too much work. Buy 7-08 or .243 brass and neck up/down, whatever. Rem .260 brass is more than adequate, and Win 7-08 and .243 make excellent .260 brass. If you really feel a need for the 'high priced spread', Lapua makes excellent .243 brass.

Message ends...

Greg

Got a question. Just bought reddings comp three die set. The sizing die requires bushings to size the neck. I bought the .307 and .308 bushing thinking that I would not need to size to a .309. I have tried to size four shells and all four crumpled at the neck. i know I'm not over lubing them and have adjusted the bushing to be loser. I'm kinda stumped. Anyone ever had a similar problem? Am I using the wrong bushing? HELP!!!

Wow. Well, for a 308 caliber, the bushing you need should be around .334" (depending on your brass neck thickness). The bullet diameter is .308, plus the thickness of the wall of the case. So, say your case neck thickness is .014" on each side, and bullet diameter is .308. .014 + .014 + .308 = .336". .336" would be your loaded neck diameter. So, if you want .002" neck tension, you need a .334" bushing. What you are trying to do is size the case down about .028", which is a lot!! So, you have the wrong bushing for your application. I can not tell you which bushing you will need, but it will be around .331 to about .334.

That makes sense! I guess being new into this I should not be listening to the tech's at midway. ha ha. I am thinking that die set is a bit to complicated for me at this time and I should go with something basic for the time being. Any suggestions on what I should be looking for? Crimping or non crimping?

those are good dies...get a 333 and 334 tungston bushing and start loading. if the OAL is too long screw the top ot the die cloclwise. after you get the proper length you can zero the die with the tiny allen wrench.

I decided I'm not into turning necks. I broke down and bought 200 rounds of Black Hills with Lapua 139's.

Still waiting on the smith.......was supposed to be shooting by now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been there done that, not really going there again. .308 to 7-08, then 7-08 to .260, then neck turning, then fireforming. Too much work. Buy 7-08 or .243 brass and neck up/down, whatever. Rem .260 brass is more than adequate, and Win 7-08 and .243 make excellent .260 brass. If you really feel a need for the 'high priced spread', Lapua makes excellent .243 brass.

Message ends...

Greg </div></div>

Greg,

I've got a 5 gallon bucket of .308 brass looking at me, that is why I was going to do this.

David

To size 308 to 260 is relatively simple. Make sure the brass is clean, this helps out quite a bit I promise. De-burr the neck inside and out. I personally use Lee white lube paste that comes in a tube, for me it works about the best of anything out there for several reasons. Feel free to use what ever lube you have that has worked for you in the past. Lube the outside of the case, and the inside of the neck. The inside neck lube is super critical! Make sure it gets lubed properly! The outside of the casing should not be Over Lubed as this can cause "dents" to form in the case, usually most notable in the shoulder area. They are not a deal breaker, but they are rather annoying.

My honest advice on the actual die to use: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=143145 is this one. Well it is a set, but the sizer die from this set. At all costs *AVOID* bushing type resizing die's for this operation!!!! Trust me, they can too easily kick you right in the ....
smile.gif
Now for every day resizing of 260 brass The Redding S die or the Lee Collet die's are the cats meow. But for turning a 308 case into a 260 *KISS*, trust me on this. Fancy = a bad headache
smile.gif

In closing, Use a basic cheap resizing die, and lube your nice clean cases both inside and out.

Have fun.
P.S. if you fail to properly clean and lube, especially the inside of the neck you will get your casing stuck in your die. That sucks ass. The fancy S type die's will have a penchant of crushing the necks.

Gary

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gotrotary</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That makes sense! I guess being new into this I should not be listening to the tech's at midway. ha ha. I am thinking that die set is a bit to complicated for me at this time and I should go with something basic for the time being. Any suggestions on what I should be looking for? Crimping or non crimping? </div></div>

I would use a standard Full Length die to size the brass, and you'll be fine. This will avoid most problems that can come up when neck sizing. If you want to neck size, get you a .332 bushing, and you'll be fine for almost any brass you have. You just need to know what to look for and be able to diagnose any issues when they come up when neck sizing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superde</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I've got a 5 gallon bucket of .308 brass looking at me, that is why I was going to do this.

David

</div></div>

Every 5 gallon bucket of brass, I ever saw at a gun show, followed me home.

I cannot process that much brass in the reloading room, with just a radio to preserve my sanity.
I set up in the living room in front of the TV.
Reloading, instead of eating, while watching TV is good for me.

David; I appreciate your predicament. I just think that with the work ahead of you staring you in the face, about 2K of once fired BH .308 brass has got to have more than enough value as a trade or sales/purchase to buy you a ton of either Rem .260 or Win .243 brass, and be worth more as that than as as raw materials for conversion to .260. I guess it's all a question of what price you value your time at. Heck, If I had 2k BH once fired .308, I'd buy a .308 rifle and save the brass for that gun. You'd likely wear out the gun before you wore out the brass.

Greg

I use the Hornady new Dimension two-die set, because it was given as a gift. I don't like the collet clamping approach for retaining the decapper stem, but the elliptical resizer ball is flatly ideal for necking Win .243 brass up to .260 spec. Although I don't usually lube the neck interiors, it's really not such a bad idea to do so.

Simply running the .243 or 7-08 brass through the .260 Rem F/L resizer die gets the job done in a single pass. I've never needed to neck turn the brass that's made from 7-08 (or .243), and I've never seen any problems with the brass that could be attributed to donuts. I'd not be so sure about being able to skip the neck turning of brass made from .308.

Greg