• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Resizing 338 Lapua for bolt, not semi, rifle?

JimGnitecki

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2011
Austin, TX
I am used to sizing my 308 semi auto cases in a full length sizing die, because you don't want any hangup in chambering a round in a semi auto 308 (slam fire danger). I've been using the Redding Match Type S dies, which gives me a micrometer adjustable sizing die for good control of headspace, and a micrometer adjusted seating die for good control of COAL. I am sure each time that the cartage will properly feed and chamber, but there IS a little "play" (.002 to .003) as a result of the FL sizing.

But, now I will be loading 338 Lapua for a TRG 42 bolt action rifle. Redding offers a "Competition Necksizing die set" that includes a micrometer NECH sizing die, a micrometer seating die, and a "body" die for both full length sizing and shoulder bumping, without any neck sizing. Reedding's description implies that you neck size only until the cartridge becomes harder to chamber and close the bolt on. I think the idea is to let the case and shoulder "conform" to the chamber on your individual rifle, until after "x" firings, it needs to be full length sized and should bumped again.

Is this latter approach what most precision 338 Lapua loaders do, or should I stay with full-length sizing and shoulder bumping each time the case is sized?

Are there any DISadvantages to neck sizing only?

Jim G

Re: Resizing 338 Lapua for bolt, not semi, rifle?

most people who shoot bolt guns use a body die and neck die.

if there are disadvantages in neck sizing would be , the ammo will only work for that particular chamber ,gota buy/own more dies , sometimes ammo gets tough to chamber.

but , you can bump the shoulder back on a loaded round with a body die if you ever have a problem with tough to chamber ammo.

but the good thing about neck sizing is you dont need any lube ( well , some guys lube the necks of their cases)! which means you can't get a case stuck in a reloading die.

Re: Resizing 338 Lapua for bolt, not semi, rifle?

I've got the Redding body die, the Redding neck bushing die and the Redding FL bushing die.

I can go about 2-3 cycles before I need to bump the shoulders back.

I mostly use the body die/neck bushing die combo. Redding TiNi bushings don't require the lubbing of the necks.

I use the .365" TiNi bushing for my Norma and Lapua brass for ~.002" of neck tension through a TRG-42 1:12" twist.

I don't use the expander ball, but I have the carbide sizer button for when...I don't know when I'd use it but I have one!

Chris