• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Resizing 6.5 cm brass

kmontang

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2014
Dallas, TX
I have a PILE of Hornady 6.5cm brass that Im trying to decide what to do with. what I need is 6mm cm brass, which I'll hand load, so here is my question. Is it easier to trade 6.5 brass for 6mm brass, or should I just get whatever equipment I need to resize the brass I already have? Ive never necked-down brass before, so If someone wanted to educate me on that process, it might make the decision clear for me. Thanks!

this forum had a thread about this matter a few years back, there might be more recent information out there but perhaps this might be a start?

my gut feeling is that nowadays there are so many brands of 6mm brass out there that it might be worth just selling your 6.5 brass and purchasing or trade for some new 6mm brass.

Last edited:
I was in the same boat at the beginning of the year and ran about 500 pieces of Sellier & Bellot 6.5 Creedmoor through a 6mm bushing die. It worked fine. That was what people originally did to make 6 Creedmoor.

Reactions: kmontang
I was in the same boat at the beginning of the year and ran about 500 pieces of Sellier & Bellot 6.5 Creedmoor through a 6mm bushing die. It worked fine. That was what people originally did to make 6 Creedmoor.

Did you have excess material that needed to be trimmed of the neck? and did you fireform your brass after necking it down? sorry if that a silly question, I've never resized casings before, just relaoded already correct ones

Did you have excess material that needed to be trimmed of the neck? and did you fireform your brass after necking it down? sorry if that a silly question, I've never resized casings before, just relaoded already correct ones
It was only once fired so it didn’t grow too much. I didn’t trim it. And I guess I fireformed it in the sense that I shot each case, but I didn’t do that as a separate step or anything.

Reactions: kmontang