• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Resizing advice needed

danatkins

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2017
So just recently started using a mandrel to resize case necks. I universal decap, resize without expander then use a Sinclair mandrel die with a .262 mandrel to give me consistent neck tension. My issue is how does everyone keep the mandrel from coming out of the die? I've taken to dipping the case into my sizing wax but seems like at least 3 out of 50 I pull the mandrel out with the case. Also it's hard to shove them up onto the mandrel any advice would be appreciated.

Not saying this is right but here ya go.

Depending on how you tumble or clean chamfer the inside and outside of the case.

First I use 1 shot in a bag. And I try to get it everywhere so I don't have to lube neck insides.
I have also moved to using 2 mandrels for the most part. I now size most on my 650...
So after chamfer and lube
Deprime
Undersized mandrel
Case size
Correct size mandrel

I have the same mandrel die, so something doesnt sound right. When case is pressed onto the mandrel, there is not much resistance. And even less when the case is removed. When the die is assembled, you take off the cap, insert the mandrel into the die ands then replace the cap. The shoulder is pretty beefy, so there is no way you could pull it out of the die.

I too am confused at how it’s pulling the mandrel out of die body.

Apparently Sinclair made an old school version before the current where the mandrel is screwed into the cap instead of with a shoulder like the pma/21stcentury style they currently use.
A pic would be helpful.

Reactions: Holliday
Yup, sounds like you have the V1 type. They updated the die awhile back.

Ah yeah it's my dad's old equipment it slides in from the bottom. I just bought a new mandrel for 6.5. Wonder how hard it would be to drill a little indentation into the mandrel to give the set screw something to bite into

Not saying this is right but here ya go.

Depending on how you tumble or clean chamfer the inside and outside of the case.

First I use 1 shot in a bag. And I try to get it everywhere so I don't have to lube neck insides.
I have also moved to using 2 mandrels for the most part. I now size most on my 650...
So after chamfer and lube
Deprime
Undersized mandrel
Case size
Correct size mandrel

I do mt deprime , size and mandrel then the cases get chucked into a wet tumbler with lemishine and dawn then tossed in the over for about 20 minutes

Wet tumbling with or without pins will or can round case mouth... check them next time and decide if you need to chamfer

From my research yes but I’m also running the 21st black nitride mandrels so haven’t checked myself.

I dry tumble with walnut media and I do not lube the necks, haven’t stuck one yet.