• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

resizing LC 556 to 300 acc

High H2o

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2013
Thought I'd give it a shot (pun). I got a sizing jig, cut, then chamfered and debured the brass. Next, waxed them up and put them in my resizing die, and it just squishes them. Any hints on what i'm doing wrong?!?

Thanks in advance for any help!

It sounds like your cut-down cases are still too long. Have you cut and sized any of those before? The cut-down jig I use is adjustable, and I imagine if it was mis-adjusted it could leave cases too long and cause the problem you're having.

hey, thanks for the response.
I cut them to 1.366-1.368 Too long?
To what size should I cut them?

Thanks!

Your die isn't set correctly. Specifically, the expander ball is too far in the die. The brass isn't getting past the expander ball before it is getting to the neck sizing part of the die.
Thanks Ryan07, I bet ur right, it takes ALOT of effort to size the case. I'll adjust!

hey, thanks for the response.
I cut them to 1.366-1.368 Too long?
To what size should I cut them?

Thanks!
That length should be fine. It is probably gonna be your decapper adjustment like Ryan07 said. I usually set my decapping pin about 1/4"-5/16" out of the bottom of the die. I am using RCBS dies. Not sure if other brands are different.

You can resize a 223 without cutting it so it’s not length messing you up. Check your due setup like others have said

Thanks Ryan07, I bet ur right, it takes ALOT of effort to size the case. I'll adjust!
Progress?
I adjusted the expander ball, and things seemed to get better except not sure why it's all Catywampus
Didn't even know this could happen...

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• 300 blk.jpg
    300 blk.jpg
    430.1 KB · Views: 21
It looks like you are not using enough/any case lube in the neck. The ball is catching on its way out and pulling up on the shoulder unevenly. I would trash any brass that has had this happen. I have seen necks/shoulders tear off cases due to insufficient lube inside the neck.
thanks for the help. I'll double up on the lube in the neck!

What lube are you using? Have you checked your die to make sure nothing is stuck in it causing this? Too much lube will lead to problems as well so don’t go wild on the lube

^^^^ I'm using the same set-up as you, but I haven't encountered the issue you're having. I spray lube my cases before resizing, and whatever lube happens to get inside the neck is what I run with. I also think you need to dis-assemble the die to check for an obstruction, make sure the vent hole in the die is clear, and make sure your decapping stem is not bent.

Just to see it happen, this is a full length 223 case ran through one of my 300bo forming dies. It can and will resize one. Granted I don’t have a decapping pin on this, just the expander ball. I used a small amount of imperial sizing wax on this example
9E28F5A1-FE6C-403B-854C-C603C09FC787.jpeg