• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Resizing shoulder then neck sizing

SScott

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Guys I am shooting 7mmo8 and I am currently FL sizing and setting up my die to only bump the shoulder back about .004 but I am still resizing the neck too much.
I am considering getting a shoulder die and then using my Lee neck sizer to size the neck.
Midway is out of stock so I was considering using my .308 die, with the expander removed to push the shoulder back and then use my Lee Neck sizer.
Have any of you used parts and pieces of other caliber dies to size your brass?
I will try it tomorrow after I get through washing this round of spent brass.
SScott

Re: Resizing shoulder then neck sizing

You might find that the angle of the shoulder is different which may affect the resizing in that area and create issues. The 308 die will certainly size the length of the body ok. Personally I'd stick with full length until you can get hold of the right die.

I use the Redding body die followed by the Lee Collet on just about all my reloads (except .338LM) and this method works extremely well.

I use a redding body die to bump the shoulders on most of my cases about .002". This die doesn't touch the neck. I then use a Lee Collet neck die to size the neck. OP, are you referring to this die in your post?

I find this a good combo and that collett die is the best value for money around, I reckon. Some people seem to think because it's cheap, it doesn't do the job. YMMV.

I run a Redding FL bushing die to bump the shoulder and size the neck with a bushing at the same time. I really do enjoy reloading but doing it this way its only one operation, therefore speeding up my ammo production.
Link to the die in stock at Sinclair..

Thanks for the response guys, it looks like I am going to have to wait on my test, as the only .308 dies I have are Small base, and I don't want to use those on my bolt gun.
SScott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wfjames22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run a Redding FL bushing die to bump the shoulder and size the neck with a bushing at the same time. I really do enjoy reloading but doing it this way its only one operation, therefore speeding up my ammo production.
Link to the die in stock at Sinclair.. </div></div>

This is the method I have been using and it is working very well.

Some of you may appreciate this, I picked a new set of .308 dies, and took out the expanding ball and replaced it with a .223 expander, so I can knock the primer out of my spent 7mm08 brass as well as push the shoulder back and resize the body.
My brass is now ready to get washed in the stainless media, afterwards I will neck size with my Lee sizer and be ready to prime. My goal is to apply the least amount of stress on my brass in an attempt to get the most firings out of it as possible.
SScott

Scott,

Do you intentionaly skip expanding before neck-sizing your brass? I always made a habit of running my brass through some sort of mandrel (weather it be a stand alone mandrel die or an expander button in my FL, Body or Bushing-Neck Die) before necking it back down to ensure any bent mouths and for whatever reason out of round necks back to concentric before necking back down to what ever tension I want. Granted, they are usualy as concentric as can be... maybe .002" out, theres still that odd case.

If your trying to be easy on necks it is skip-able, but for uber-concentric ammo, I use a mandrel first. Also look into maybe sending your cases out to one of the ammo smiths here for annealing, if your lot is big enough that this won't mean missed out shooting time.