• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

resizing the bmg

dferg77

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2008
berryville, AR
Why can I full length resize my brass and it still be a pretty "snug" fit, but after firing brass seems to be right. I know the brass is fireforming to the chamber, but shouldn't the resizing die bump it back even more. I'm using lee dies which I haven't really been happy with but got to use what I got for now. Thanks for any help.

Re: resizing the bmg

I don't use the Lee press and die for my 50 BMG. I use the RCBS system, which works out real well. But my friend has a similar problem with the die after FL resize it. He called Lee and described the problem to them. I think he ended up sending the die back with a fired case from the gun. He told me that everything works out after that. Sorry for the long answer. Short version is to give Lee a call. They will fix it.

Thats what I suspected. Due to variations in chamber specs, brass
and dies makes this a whole 'nother animal compared to all of my other reloading. Thanks for the help
Dusty Ferguson

How are you setting the die? What lube are you using to size the brass. I usually size it back .003 below the fired case. I have also run into a problem with the press not lined up correctly with the shell holder. Check to see if that is working ok with you. Check the fired case with a dial indicator to see what the run out is.

kn

I set the die like my other fl dies run up the case holder kiss it with the die and then back it off just a little. Using dillon spray lube. I'll check the run out thanks

I use the RCBS case lube 2 and a felt pad. That is where your problem lies I tried the spray case lube before and has sticking case problems. I find that that you do not get a the proper amount of lube when you full length size the case. Water soluble and easy to clean up. I roll 6 cases at a time on the felt pad. use a little on the case neck but very little so as not get pressure dents on the shoulders. Try that to see if that solves your problem.

Not meant to be a pun... But I'll bet your wrist and elbow know it after F/L sizing a few hundred of the 50s.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Koganinja</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the RCBS case lube 2 and a felt pad. That is where your problem lies I tried the spray case lube before and has sticking case problems. I find that that you do not get a the proper amount of lube when you full length size the case. Water soluble and easy to clean up. I roll 6 cases at a time on the felt pad. use a little on the case neck but very little so as not get pressure dents on the shoulders. Try that to see if that solves your problem.
</div></div>

That was what I used to do, until I discover Hornady Unique case lube. It makes FL resize of anything easier. Also, it helps with the RCBS long arm lever on the press.

I used the rcbs lube before to the same effect. I lubed the necks also, inside and out. where can one find a shoulder bump gage for the fifty?

victor- yeah tends to where on you

FWIW this is a very common problem. Understand there is no SAAMI spec for the .50 BMG. Each mfg uses their own chambering reamer. The closest thing there is to a standardization is the military drawing for the cartridge.

Try some Imperial Sizing Die Wax to f/l size 50 cases.
Redding produces Imperial w/ green dye in the mix currently.

What diameter are these Lee 50BMG dies that you mentioned, 1-1/4" diameter??????

dan - the lee dies are 1-1/4"

lrs50bmg- I figured that the lee dies are more for milspec chambers and my windrunner has a pretty tight chamber. Most factory loaded ammo(summit,barret,hsm etc) is a tight fit. Do you know what dies would be suitable for this chamber. I was going to get a hornady neck size die for the once fired in my chamber brass but I dont want to by the bmg kit if I am going to have the same problem with the dies.