• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Restoration of a vintage 1962 Springfield Armory National Match M14 - the first year of NM M14s

Random Guy

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2012
Not a vintage sniper rifle project per se, but perhaps others will find this vintage M1A/M14 restoration project interesting...and I'll get to the sniper rifle aspect in a minute.

First, here's pics of my favorite retro project of 2023. I visited a local FFL this summer that I used to frequent years ago, and the manager recalled my collection interests asked me of I was interested in an old M14 parts kits that they had sitting in a box at the back of the shop.
IMG_0744.jpeg

I discerned that the parts kits was actually based on an original 1962 Springfield Armory National Match M14. The FFL had acquired it in an estate purchase from a deceased collector (in good faith) - but the FFL destroyed/severed the receiver into four pieces in accordance w/ BATF guidance. The FFL had deemed it a non-transferrable item, even though technically it was made as semi-automatic weapon from the get-go, and was not an NFA item....but what was done was done. I was just happy to have stumbled upon an all original deactivated 1962 NM that had never been re-built or re-barreled, and I even got the scrap metal pieces to show it's historical provenance.

Quick history: This 348k serial number corresponds to the spring/summer of 1962 - note the factory "NM" stamp on the heel. 1962 was the first year of the NM M14s, with Springfield Armory to deliver the first 3,000 NM M14s by August 1, 1962 for that year's National Match. They were used for 'orientation purposes' that year, and beginning in 1963 were formally used in competition "for score."

NM_heel_v4.jpg

I sent a check for $25 to CMP asking to see if this serial number was in their records, and to also let them know the original rifle has been de-activated, but they wrote me back saying that this serial number does not show up "under any rifle nomenclature." So its origins remain an enigma.
It's unfortunate that this historically interesting, first year National Match semi-auto M14 could not have been displayed in a museum...

...but at least the FFL saved all the DNA/original parts and the stock too. Months later I was offered this parts kit by that store, given my collection interest in the old M1 and M14 platform. I wasn't planning on buy anything at that store that day other than perhaps primers, but we worked out a fair price, and they even threw-in the scrap metal that had not yet been placed into the dumpster...thus providing historical provenance.
NM_parts_left_profile_os_v2.jpg

...using an early SAI M1A commercial receiver from 1977, this rifle was restored (or resurrected) as a historically accurate replica of the first year National Match M14s. Note: The only parts I didn't use from the parts kit was 1) the worn recoil spring, and 2) the gas piston was pitted, so I used a nicer USGI gas piston. The WWI era leather sling seen here was replaced with a more correct vintage M1907 sling with an MRT date of 4-63. Everything else used was original to serial number 348985. (It's shown here with the old WWI era sling that came on this stock).
1962 SA NM replica_right_profile1_v2.jpg

The commercial Springfield Armory Inc M1A receiver that I used is an early one (4-digit serial #). (The faux selector lock parts are for aesthetics only)
1962 SA NM replica_action_and_stock_w_heel_v2.jpg

After I cleaned the carbon fouling out of the stock channel, the original serial number written in the stock back in 1962 became visible (it's just behind the sling swivel):
1962 SA NM replica_stock_channel_v2.jpg

Spot-weld added to the faux selector lock to mimic the aesthetics of the original NM M14s.
1962 NM spot welded selector lock_v2.png

Original SA NM M14 barrel, dated April 1962. Throat erosion is 2.5, so its used, but still good enough for an occasional Sunday range trip.
SA 1962 NM barrel stamping_v2.jpg

...and here's the glamor picture with some period accessories.

1962_NM_replica_rt_profile1_v2.jpg

1962_NM_replica_lt_profile1_v2.jpg

Lastly, and to be respectful of this thread which is supposed to be about vintage sniper rifles, I will point out that the accurized 1962 NM M14 rifle, along with the then brand new 1963 XM118 Match ammo - provided the foundation for the US Army Marksmanship Training Unit (USAMU) to develop in the 1968-69 era the XM21 sniper rifle, which was fielded in quantity in Vietnam in 1969-70. The use of M118 match ammo in Vietnam was the first time that the US Army actually issued match-grade ammo to US Army snipers. So the history of the National Match M14 program directly lead to the US Army’s development of what today qualifies as a vintage sniper rifle, the XM21/M21 fielded from 1968/69 until the early 1990s.

1962 NM and 1969 XM21 rifles compared1_v2.jpg

1962 NM and 1969 XM21 rifle booklets_v2.jpg

Happy Friday.

Attachments

• IMG_1089.jpeg
    IMG_1089.jpeg
    581.8 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
What a wonderful find!

Kudos on a restoration/resurrection done well!

longebow

That stock is beautiful.

Did you consider having the heel welded on to a commercial receiver?

I think Bula or one of the forged M1A receiver peeps was doing those conversions with heel scraps and it is legal - probably have to notify ATF of SN on “new” rifle.

Three or four years ago with BATF approval, Bula and JRA were briefly welding-on USGI heels to blank commercial receivers. However, the quality of the welding job varied greatly, some customers were unhappy, and the relationship ended on reportedly poor terms. I think about 60 or 70 were ultimately done, but it’s no longer an option. Regardless, the deactivated heel I have would not be a suitable candidate, given where it was cut, as the receiver’s rear sight serration markings would be obliterated by the welding seam. Anyhow, I’m happy with the way the build came out. It’s a keeper.

Last edited:
I can't believe I missed this thread.

I find myself strangely aroused. No homo.

Nez R. in Texas is selling another genuine Gen 1 Vietnam-era ART telescope for Art L. that would match your other for the Vintage Sniper Rifle (1946-1975 class) at Camp Perry National Matches.

• Haha
Reactions: Random Guy
Nez R. in Texas is selling another genuine Gen 1 Vietnam-era ART telescope for Art L. that would match your other for the Vintage Sniper Rifle (1946-1975 class) at Camp Perry National Matches.
I saw that scope, but I can't justify another AR TEL at this time, as I still have 4 replica M1A projects in various stages of completion...(including an M39 replica that still needs a pricey S&B scope).

What I am going to do in 2024 is add a second stock for my XM21 replica as seen in the above post - but painted in a Vietnam era pattern.

You might appreciate the two stocks that I recently acquired from another collector, which appear to have been prepped by either the US Army AMTU, or Rock Island Arsenal (RIA). They have been prepped for either a NM M14 or possibly an XM21/M1. What is unique is the modified M14 stock liner, which was 'notched' by the AMTU/RIA guys and bedding was placed there to ensure the receiver legs were properly bedded to the stock. (See white arrows below). The 'notched' liner is first seen in the 1968 and 1970 US Army AMTU build manual for the National Match M14s, which was also used as the basis for building the then-new XM21 sniper rifles circa 1969 at RIA.

Modified_stock_liner_USAMTU_guide_1971_v2.jpg

The 2nd stock from top is a so-called "Big Red" birch NM stock, and it will be the stock I paint this spring to resemble the camo-painted XM21 rifle seen at the West Point museum. It's grain is really plain and a repair was done at the buttplate, but it's an original stock that was never mounted/never oiled, and thus it is a good candidate for hand-painting with oil paints. (The 3rd stock from the top also appears to be an AMTU prepped stock, but it's a skinnier walnut TRW stock, and too nice looking to paint over, IMO). These match stocks with modified liners are pretty scarce. I think I have seen 6 or 7 in total, including the two that I have as shown here.

AMU_modified_liners_v2.png

...So, here's the famous XM21 sniper rifle at the West Point museum, and my goal this spring is to paint a stock and handguard that resembles this rifle.

IMG_0240_zpscmjighe0.jpg

WestPtMuseum_XM21_plate2.jpg

As for the new CMP vintage sniper match for 1954-76 era rifles, I will use my M40 replica this year, but if they create a separate class for semi-auto rifles similar to the current vintage match (for M1C/M1Ds), then I will likely try my XM21 replica at some point - at least that is my current thought process.

Last edited:
Why not petition to have the m21 added? Seems the SSG69 was added, or is in the process and these have nowhere near the providence the M21 has.

The precedent is set with the M1s. I don’t see how they could deny the M21s.

BTW, some of you guys have ridiculous contacts to find all of these historic treasures. So glad to see them saved and reused instead of chopped up and tossed away.

• Love
Reactions: Uhlan and sinister
Why not petition to have the m21 added? Seems the SSG69 was added, or is in the process and these have nowhere near the providence the M21 has.
Umm, the XM21/M21 has been there from the get-go. It's allowed in the new match:

See page 66:

United States:
U. S. Army XM21 (wooden stock) and M21 (fiberglass stock) both with USAMTU accurizing modifications

Optic: Redfield 3-9X Accu-Range Telescope or Leatherwood ART Telescope
Non-issue: Commercial 3-9X with 40 mm max. objective lens diameter.

Technically speaking, US Army M21s were likely never glass-bedded in flimsy USGI fiberglass stocks (per the M21 build manual they were to be bedded in wood stocks), but CMP is allowing that "incorrect" fiberglass stock nonetheless.

In addition, what is missing from the CMP rule book is the so-called "pre-XM21" sniper rifle, or what some call an "improvised M14 sniper rifle." In 1967 the little 2.2x M84 scope was used with an M14 mount made by Army Weapons Command (AWC), along with the old G&H M1C scope rings. Hundreds of these were used in Vietnam from 1967 until the conflict ended in 1975. (The US Army had a National Stock Number (NSN) for it: NSN: 1005-937-8777, 'M14 NM Rifle with M84 scope').

Would I would want to compete at 600 yards with this primitive configuration (against other Vietnam era rifles with nicer/brighter 3-9x scopes)? Not really, but CMP should probably include this configuration for historical reasons, as some of those AWC scope mounts, both original and reproduction, are out there:

IMG_1045.jpg

Between these two, I definitely prefer the optic system (and ergonomics) on the top rifle, but both replicas are "historically correct" Vietnam era configurations circa 1969-1970.
Mr Camo M14 AWC and XM21 sniper_left_profile3.jpg

Last edited:
I'm deciding now whether to build an M 40 or an M14 for those competitions. My M1-A won't work as it's lugged so I'll have to do either from scratch. It seems in the rules that the Redfield 3x9 will be legal, actually any 3x9-40. Just for these comps, KD is an ART scope that much better?

Agreed Sinister!

We should all note how the ArTel (Adjustable Ranging Telescope) was the first "first focal plane" rifle scope put into military service.

Thank you LT Leatherwood!

longebow

The CMP vintage sniper matches are at known distances, 300 and 600 yards, so one just needs to zero at 300 yards and know their "clicks" up for 600 yards. The disadvantage of the AR TEL is the range changes with magnification level (its a single concentric ring/adjustment). This was an issue that was fixed on the later ART II scopes which had dual/independent rings: one for magnification and another for distance/scope cant.

That stock is beautiful.

Did you consider having the heel welded on to a commercial receiver?

I think Bula or one of the forged M1A receiver peeps was doing those conversions with heel scraps and it is legal - probably have to notify ATF of SN on “new” rifle.
Correct and to add they’re marked per ATF under the stock line Bula as the original forging and James River Armory doing the conversion. Other than the heal, there are zero M14 features .

Three or four years ago with BATF approval, Bula and JRA were briefly welding-on USGI heels to blank commercial receivers. However, the quality of the welding job varied greatly, some customers were unhappy, and the relationship ended on reportedly poor terms. I think about 60 or 70 were ultimately done, but it’s no longer an option. Regardless, the deactivated heel I have would not be a suitable candidate, given where it was cut, as the receiver’s rear sight serration markings would be obliterated by the welding seam. Anyhow, I’m happy with the way the build came out. It’s a keeper.

Mine is a wonderful NM spec build that hovers near 1 MOA with good loads, however Bula and James River had the falling out.