• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Restoring 1943 Remington Rand

mtm87tx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2006
Texas
Been awhile but Ive come back for some advice.

I have a 1943 Remington rand handed down to me and over the years someone in all their wisdom decided to chrome plate it and do the controls in gold. Its far from original.

Would it be the end of the world to refinish the "property of US government" lower with some after mark parts and put a new slide and barrel on it?

I would love for it to be original but its just to far gone, If it had a good slide I could use it for 3 gun heavy class.

who has recommendations for parts?

Re: Restoring 1943 Remington Rand

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtm87tx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I would love for it to be original but its just to far gone, </div></div>

Don't be so sure. What has been done can be undone.

You might start by contacting a plating shop to see about stripping the finish. Get it back to bare metal and refinish it with what you want. If nothing has been altered like sights or safeties, then there is no reason it couldn't be restored to original condition.

PM me if you need further assistance.

I put a Kart barrel in mine a few years ago, it shoots wonderful. They aren't a real
rare piece so refinishing it or it having been refinished isn't the worst thing in the
world. Why would it need a new slide?

http://www.turnbullmfg.com/

they are a restoration co in NY that is actually building several historic copies of the 100th year of the 1911. They are recommended on the 1911 forum for full restorations. .

Thats what I have been thinking, Its not the rarest of the WWII 1911s so why not make it a shooter? Its in original condition I just need to have the chrome stripped.

The reason I want a new slide is so I dont have to cut this one for new sights.

Just think it would be cool to use that lower pending good shape