• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Results August Topstraps Longrange Rimfire Match

Topstrap

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2009
East side of Ohio
Augusts Longrange Rimfire match is in the books. Getting quite a few shooters traveling a ways to come give this a try. Lots of local longrange rimfire matches here locally so that gives some of the locals other places to shoot which is cool and gives them the opportunity to shoot higher end ammo and equipment for the challenge.

Had 30 entries this month with three trying the course with metallic sights. All of us were limited on the size targets we could see since quite a few of mine are really small. Even though my score was a bit higher Ted Kernik shot at targets so small I couldn't even see them thru my peeps and was still hitting them. Incredible display of skill and marksmanship by Ted and also Cuda Gatten with shooting his CZ with old fashioned open notch/post sights and nearly cleaning the shoot thru rack and the 162 yard ascending circle rack. I let the metallic sight shooters shoot what they could see no matter the size with all their shots. Difficult enough without shooting at ones you can't see. Great job Guys, I was impressed.

Barry Pike tried this game for the first time with a new gun and did very well, think we have him hooked. Butches grandson Joshua showed us it runs in the family by doing very well first time out with his old school Remington 512. Another new shooter to my match was Vince Ciriveuo and he also did very well, the farther targets and the slight wind switches messed with him but he's getting it figured out. Joe Updyke and Mason Grady from Accurate Rifle Systems came down with a couple of their guns in their killer aluminum chassis and did well also. Think Joe mentioned he may leave a couple of them next month so shooters can try them out.

I'm presently working on having a separate set of targets at each distance for metallic sight shooters similiar to Butches. Peeps are quite challenging and fun, expecially at these longer distances. I've always told others that if I can see a target I can hit it with peeps but we're also limited by what our eyes can see. Most of mine are very small but surprising a lot of them are being hit with peep sights.

We got dumped on Saturday afternoon, think it put down around 3 inches of rain and from my 137 yard target to the 175 yard rack it was one big river after overflowing the creek banks. For a while targets past 137 yards were hidden by the rain but it finally cleared up but was dark and overcast.

I added some extra racks but didn't seem to stop shooters from hitting them. Skills and equipment are getting better and the scores keep going up. Lots of fun and good practice for our longrange CF matches.

I tried some new Geco Match shooting thru the match with no sighters, it shot decent in the 40X and wifes Anschutz but both guns can shoot groups at 200 yards well over twice as tight with Wolf and even better with higher cost ammo. Tried it in Ugly Beddy and it didn't like it at all, my peep sighted Vostok likes it but the scoped one hated it. Had a few others try some and it's maybe on par with CCI std. Like any ammo, some guns do OK with it but others no so much. I got some really nice 5 shot groups around 2 1/2 inches in my 40X on the 197 yard plate but still had the occasional flier. Split a lot of bullets at 50 yards on the axe, will have to play some more with it and see which guns accept it.

First place was based on reverse count on the most targets hit farthest away and it was close. Mike Moore and Bob Merillat tied but Mike edged Bob out by cleaning the Horseshoes. Great shooting by both of them. Bobs new gun seems to agree with him. Carl Duvall and Dave Calipare won the two $25.00 drawings. Kenny Boyert noticed his score sheet was missing, I found it in the weeds by the range, the wind during the storm must have blown it out so I had to redraw the $25.00 winners. I'll have it for you next month unless I need a new scope, ammo, gun or something else to help me shoot better.

Good job to all the shooters, I keep trying to make it more challenging but they just keep getting better.

93 Mike Moore (2) Savage Bushnell Wolf MT
93 Bob Merillat Anschutz 1907 March SK rifle match
91 Randy Wise Anschutz Exemplar Vortex Federal
89 Mike Moore (3) Savage Bushnell Wolf MT
88 Mike Moore (1) Savage Bushnell Wolf MT
84 Chris Kirkpatrick Ugly Beddy SWFA Wolf MT
82 Dennis Kirkpatrick Remington SWFA Geco ($2.99)
81 Matt Shatto CZ 455 SWFA SK std.
81 Barry Pike CZ 455 SWFA Eley target
81 Bill Nesbitt Anschutz MPR SWFA SK rifle match
80 Jim Lochary Anschutz MPR Leupold Eley
79 Jerry Shaw H&R mod 12 SWFA SK std plus
79 Carl Duvall (2) CZ 455 Bushnell Wolf MT
79 Kenny Boyert CZ 455 Weaver Tactical Wolf MT
79 Joshua Moodispaw Remington 512 SWFA CCI std
78 Carl Duvall (1) Savage Bushnell Wolf MT
78 Carl Duvall (3) CZ 455 Bushnell Wolf MT
76 Charlene Kirkpatrick Anschutz SWFA Geco ($2.99)
75 Bob Brown Remington 540-X Sightron Federal
75 Bob Ellwood Remington 40-X Lucid Wolf (Eley)
75 Dave Calipare (1) Remington 40-X SWFA CCI std
74 Dave Calipare (2) Kidd 10/22 SWFA Wolf (Eley)
72 Vince Cirivello Savage MK II Athalon SK std plus
71 Mason Grady Savage Vortex CCI std
70 Karen Marsh CZ Ultra Lux SWFA CCI std
67 Butch McCort Remington 40-X SWFA CCI std
64 Dennis Kirkpatrick Vostok CM-2 Peep Sights Geco ($2.99)
62 Joe Updike
56 Ted Kernik CZ Peeps CCI std
40 Cuda Gatten CZ Blade/Post metallic sights SK

Yup, that is an overflowing creek after a 3 inch rainfall. Nearly to the bottom of my 162 yard target rack.

august2018floodshoot.jpg

Topstrap

Last edited:
Reactions: ShortShooter1908