• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Results August Topstraps Rimfire Challenge

Topstrap

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2009
East side of Ohio
I want to thank everyone that came this weekend, was wondering if some thought it would be next weekend due to Sunday being the first but still had 26 competitors. Some had it really really calm and slightly overcast and a few others had a good bit of wind that was really switching around which made it really tough to stay on a target rack. Scores don't always show everything and everyone shot very well with the conditions they were delt. We would all like calm or steady winds with great scores but not a single competitor complained other than to shake their head watching the crazy wind flags showiing 4 different winds at times or switching directions shot to shot.

Had three more shooters make the ceiling of fame by hitting all 10 targets (10 inch down to 1 inch in one inch increments) in a row at 197 yards. Great shooting Randy Warren, Dan Bartok and Eric Lochary. Might sound easy but to get them all is quite a challenge. Nearly everyone split at least one bullet on the axe at 50 yards and a couple even got two. Scores just keep improving as equipment and skills are refined. I posted on a thread that was discussing shooting a mile with a 22 on Accurate Shooter and had someone comment 100 yards is the limit for any accuracy for a 22 rimfire.

They really need to attend a longrange rimfire match, I think they'd be really surprised what is attainable. My match is considered midrange now with the latest fad pushing them out to 350, 500 and even farther at some matches. Wonder what the future will bring if we can continue to develop and refine?

I tried my FA 22 revolver, it really shot good but I shot it in one of the windy times and trying Eley Target for the first time. I think it likes it but shooter error guessing a few elevation settings and wrong wind holds made it look poorly score wise. It has potential but won't be on the same level as Big Green (Anschutz Exemplar). I was able to let quite a few shooters get behind it and nearly all ran the top row of plates (10 inch to 6 inch) at 197 yards first time they tried. Pretty cool to see that being done, especially since it is kinda picky as to how it likes to be held.

On to the scores: Maximum score possible with all bonuses including splitting the bullet 3 times is a 93. I'm still allowing any ammo due to availability. All ties are broken with reverse count. A number (2) means second entry.

1. 87 Dan Bartok Anschutz MPR NF RWS 50
2. 97 Dave Calipare V-Gun NF SK Biathlon
3. 86 Eric Lochary V-Gun Vortex SK Biathlon
4. 86 Bob Brown Remington 540X Weaver Lapua Biathlon
5. 84 Derick Warren Remington 513T Peep Sights SK Longrange
6. 84 Dennis Kirkpatrick Ural Peep Sights SK Biathlon
7. 83 Dan Bartok (2) CZ Vortex RWS 50
8. 83 Jerry Galbraith CZ 547 NF SK Biathlon
9. 83 Jim Lochary (2) March RWS Special Match
10. 82 Bill Nesbitt V-Gun NF SK Biathlon
11. 82 Mike Moore Anschutz Bushnell SK Biathlon
12. 81 Cuda Gatten Schultz & Larsen Peep Sights SK Biathlon
13. 80 Jim Lochary V-Gun March SK Biathlon
14. 79 Jason Grubb CZ 457 Athlon DTR SK Std.
15. 78 Carl Duvall CZ MTR Vortex SK Biathlon
16. 77 Charles Wright Ruger Precision Vortex SE SK Std.
17. 77 Bob Merillat Anschutz March SK Red
18. 77 Rube Perkins Kidd 10/22 NF SK Biathlon
19. 76 Kurt Yoder Sako Quad SWFA SK Biathlon
20. 76 Karen Marsh CS Ultra Lux SWFA SK Biathlon
21. 76 Randy Warren CZ Vortex SK Std. +
22. 75 Chris Kirkpatrick Izhmash SWFA Eley Target
23. 71 Matt Shotte CZ SWFA Tac-22
24. 69 Dennis Kirkpatrick Freedom Arms Revolver SWFA Eley Target
25. 63 Dakota Wright Savage Vortex SK Longrange
26. DNF Butch McCort Remington 40X Bushnell CCI Std.

Topstrap

That looks like fun. I see lots of shooters are using SK Biathlon with good results. I recently tried it at 300 and it gave me my best average over all the other types of ammo I’ve tried which is pretty much everything.

Reactions: Topstrap