• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Results August Topstraps Rimfire Challenge

Topstrap

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2009
East side of Ohio
I want to thank everyone for taking the time to come shoot the match, it's really hard to get to each one with so many around now and overlapping each other on the weekends. The extra help spotting/scoring and painting targets really helps a lot and is appreciated. We had a really nice weekend overall with a bit of rain on Saturday although it started off a bit breezy and got steadily worse as the day went on. Dan and I tried to get our match in right before the storm and Tornado warnings started going off on the phone and made us both wish we had stopped or just thrown our ammo over the hill into the creek. Sunday was a great day.

I still have two classes based on ammo costs with anothing above $10.00/50 in A and under in B. I think we're all seeing the difference which may only be 3 or 4 targets hit with the higher end ammo but from spotting for most of the shooters I can see how much more consistent it is. Is it worth chasing that rabbit down the hole deeper and deeper striving for the extra few points? Each of us has to determine what our goal is shooting these rimfires at those distances. I will probably get some higher end ammo to try, will I shoot it at all the matches? Probably not but for certain matches I think it'll take it to be a contender.

I don't remember how long I've been having my matches but I think it's probably 10 years or more and we finally had a perfect score shot which has to include all the smaller bonus targets. There have been 4 or 5 miss only one and I knew it was going to happen sooner or later. Brien Murray shooting a Vudoo with Lapua Super Longrange ammo accomplished it Saturday morning only missing one lollypop on the bonus stage but that stage don't count for shooting a perfect score on my regular match targets. His wife Michelle won last months match here and they both tied for first place at Rayners Range rimfire match last month. The whole family are great competitors including Abigail who got to add her name to my shelter ceiling for cleaning all 10 targets at 197 (10" down to 1" in 1" increments. Michelle has nearly done it the last two matches but Abigail beat her to it. Maybe next month. Bill Moran also joined that elite group and got to pencil in his name. A couple others also cleaned it but have done it before.

I still have it divided into two groups, $10.00 and above ammo cost for 50 rounds or any Benchrest type equipment such as a tuner is A class, everything else goes into B class. A decent gun with good ammo can be very competitive but I didn't want everyone to feel they had to have an expensive gun/scope/ammo to come have fun. A good midrange ammo such as one of the SK variants will work and a decent scope with enough travel to shoot to 200 yards. A good bipod solid bipod/sandbag combo makes a world of difference which many are discovering now. Come have fun, you're really competing against yourself and trying to improve and learning to pay attention to what Mother Nature is telling you each shot.

Great shooting by everyone, it isn't easy but spending quality time behind the trigger learning to be friends with Mother Nature eventually pays off. I don't think the wait was really too bad and I appreciate when we're allowed to help new shooters instead of pushing them thru and not helping them. I really enjoy watching everyone shoot and hit targets, especially newer shooters that start doing well. I hate having to mark zeros down or a bad round causing a miss early on in a rack but that's part of it. I do get to claim any guns tossed into the woods or creek when heavy frustration overcomes the fun factor.

The bonus target was Dum Dum suckers at 93 yards. After making the rack and setting it up I realized it would be nearly impossible to see where any miss went. I added a 4" sighter plate under the rack and they could save one of their 5 sighters to shoot. They had to make their adjustment based on that shot and start on the first left lollypop, if they missed both shots they were allowed another sighter (usually aiming at their previous sighter shot) and they could make a correction and get two more shots. Two shooters hit 4 which was amazing, they make a really nice "poof" and dissappear when hit. A hit on the stem did not count as a hit. They seemed to be enjoyed so I may do this again.

Marc Wright mainly came to test accuracy on his upgraded barrel on his Rim-X. He switched over to a 12 twist barrel and was curious how it would do past 100 yards. Not sure he wants the results shown but from spotting and watching his groupings at the various distances it sure wasn't on par with his previous barrel. I've heard others takking about trying faster twists but not very impressed watching it shoot at this match. Marc is a Top Shelf shooter and the ammo he used is what has always done well for him and Dakota. Maybe it'll like something different but it sure didn't like Eley Black Box Match that day. I really like watching and seeing what everyone is using and testing, some surprises you and others makes you just shake your head. I'm sure he'll get it figured out and be back with a killer gun.

Daily conditions don't make this game fair for everyone, scores don't always indicate how well everyone shot. Targets are always up and everyone is welcome to get in touch with me if they'd like to stop by to check/get settings for their gun or just plain practice. I'd enjoy having you.

On to the scores, Brien Murray wins "A" class and Tim Humphrey wins "B" class so they get free entries next month. Sorry, I gave away the free Hang Glider at another match. This is two matches in a row they both won their class.

All scores in order based on reverse count including the bonus stage.

Score Class Name Gun Scope/sights Ammo

1. 93 A Brien Murray Vudoo NF Lapua Super Longrange
2. 89 B Tim Humphrey Vudoo NF SK Bia.
3. 88 A Bill Moran (1) Anschuts 1710 Arken RWS R-50
4. 87 A Abigail Murray Bergara Vortex Midas
5. 87 A Dan Bartok Anschutz MPR NF RWS R-50
6. 87 B Chris Kirkpatrick BSA Martini Int. Peep Sights SK Bia.
7. 86 A Bill Moran (4) Anschutz 1710 Arken Lapua Polar Bia.
8. 86 A Jeff Valentine Bergara Kahles Lapua Super Longrange
9. 86 A Bill Nesbitt Vudoo Vortex Lapua
10. 86 B Phil Palmisano Vudoo Arken SK Bia.
11. 86 A Marc Wright (2) Anschutz 1710 Vortex SE Eley Match
12. 86 A Shawn Bishop Vudoo Leupold Eley Match
13. 86 A Michelle Murray Bergara Vortex Lapua Super Longrange
14. 85 B Matt Gallagher CZ 457 Vortex SE SK Bia.
15. 85 A Bob Brown Remington 40-X Athlon Lapua Polar Bia.
16. 85 A Bill Moran (2) Anschutz 1710 Arken RWS R-50
17. 85 B Dave Callipare Vudoo NF SK Bia.
18. 84 A Marc Wright Rim-X Kahles Eley Match
19. 84 A Dustin Fletcher CZ 457 Athlon Eley Match
20. 83 B Mark Hall Vudoo Vortex Razor SK Longrange
21. 83 B Bob Merillat Anschutz 1907 March SK Bia.
22. 83 B Jerry Shaw H&R 12 Arken SK Bia.
23. 82 B Scott St. Clair Savage Vortex SK Bia.
24. 81 A Bill Moran (3) Anschutz 1710 Arken Lapua Super Longrange
25. 80 B Karen Marsh CZ Ultra Lux Vortex SK Bia.
26. 80 B Matt Shatto Savage TR Arken Eley Club
27. 80 A Dave Unkefer 2500XR NF SK Longrange
28. 80 B Dennis Kirkpatrick BSA Martini Int. Peep Sights SK Bia.
29. 79 A Dave Poske CZ 457 NF Center-X
30. 78 B Kenny Arnold CZ Varmit Vortex SK Bia.
31. 77 A Josh Tyler Vudoo Tract Eley Match
32. 77 B Rick Sells Savage MK II Vortex Eley Club
33. 74 B Steve Wilson CZ 457 Vortex Eley Target
34. 73 B Herman Crooks Rim-X NF SK Bia.
35. 73 B Rob Jackson Savage MK II SWFA Eley Target
36. 72 B Bruce Kasnik CZ 457 Athlon Morma Tac-22
37. 72 B Jim Lochary CZ 457 Arken SK Bia.
38. 72 B Chuck Wagner H&R 12 SWFA RWS Rifle
39. 71 B Kenneth Triplett CZ 457 Vortex Tac-22
40. 71 A Dan Bartok CZ 457 Vortex RWS R-50
41. 70 B Tom Rayner Remington 513T NF SK Longrange
42. 68 B Anthony Oldfield CZ Vortex Norma Tac-22
43. 67 B Frank Rose H&R 12 SWFA WOlf MT (old)
44. 66 B Matt Dillon Vudoo Athlon SK Bia.
45. 66 A Dan Bartok (3) CZ 457 Vortex RWS R-50
46. 66 B Cork Hall Remington 513T SWFA Tac-22

Last edited:
Reactions: BrienM and BillOH
Great turnout too for the weather in the area on Saturday! Great fun!

Reactions: Topstrap