• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Results July 2020 Topstraps Longrange (midrange) Rimfire Challenge

Topstrap

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2009
East side of Ohio
Another fun filled weekend match at Topstraps Rimfire Challenge for July. Scores just keep getting better, shooters upgrading, trying new ammo and just plain getting better at figuring out what Mother Nature is telling them. I've been combining the scoped shooters and the Peep Sight competitors together since I feel they are on pretty equal ground. Scoped guys have bonus/gamble targets and this month they had to deal with the last 5 targets on my 50 yard humbler rack and the last 5 targets at 197 being KYL (Know Your Limit) targets. Peep sight shooters had to shoot the same target (4moa) as many times as there were targets at each stage for the scoped shooters.

4moa might sound pretty big to a scoped competitor but give it a try especially in varying light conditions, targets getting grayed out, eye fatigue after 85 shots and they can't use a reticle to hold off in windy conditions. They earn every point they get and it gives everyone a chance to be competitive and use the various guns they may have.

Another shooter, Derrick Warren earned his spot on my roof of fame by hitting all 10 of the 197 yard targets without a miss although he did stop at number 9 for his KYL score but shot his 10th shot just to see if he could hit all of them. Excellent shooting with his CZ 457 rifle. The targets are 10" down to 6" on the top row and 5" down to 1" on the bottom row in one inch decreasing size going across.

My bonus stage this month was 3 shots at 50 yards on my split the bullet on the axe. Quite a few shooters did it and a couple split two. Splitting playing cards is tough but you have the full width of the bullet to do it, splitting a bullet has to be exactly centered or it will veer off and down the edge of the axe. It usually makes this really distinctive SMACK sound when done properly. Not as easy as it sounds and NO, I don't let them shoot flat nosed bullets at it since it does slightly raise the advantage level.

Had a good turnout, especially since there are now other rimfire shoots going on the same weekend. Good to have a variety, some are a lot longer in distance but I think I have a pretty challenging course of fire for the distance I have. It hasn't been cleaned yet for the scoped targets but has been with the peep sights. Cuda almost had it this month, he slipped off a small board he was sitting on for the close 25 yards targets and missed one. I dialed up twice for one distance and went over the first one on a stage and wind bit me on the other. Saturday was pretty windy but the shooters are getting it figured out.

Cuda Gatten and Bill Nesbitt tied for 1st place and will get free entries next month. The Random Number Generator picked number 4 and 30 which I believe is Mike Moore and Butch McCort this month. Each will get a freshly printed $20.00 bill.

Lots of matches going on now and I want to thank everyone that came and competed, hope you all had fun. I really enjoy spotting and scoring for each of you and I learn a lot from watching others.

Scores, ties are decided by reverse count of last target hit which this month included splitting the bullet on the axe. Scores are really close and each target or decision a shooter makes impacts their score. Like Clint Eastwood said, a man has to know his limits, the KYL portions of some stages cost some points for some but added to the shooter having imput on what they wanted to shoot.

1. 84 Cuda Gatten H&R mod 12 Peep Sights Aguila
1. 84 Bill Nesbitt V-Gun NF SK Pistol Match
2. 83 Dennis Kirkpatrick Ural Peep Sights SK Biathlon
3. 83 Mike Moore Anschutz Bushnell SK Biathlon
4. 81 Jim Lochary (3) V-Gun SK Biathlon
5. 81 Chris Kirkpatrick Izhmash 7-2 SWFA SK Biathlon
6. 81 Mike Moore (2) Anschutz Bushnell SK Biathlon
7. 79 Bob Merillat Anschutz 1907 March SK Rifle Match
8. 78 Rube Perkins 10/22 NF SK Biathlon
9. 78 Bob Brown Remington 40-X Weaver SK Standard
10. 75 Karen Marsh CZ Ultralux SWFA SK Biathlon
11. 75 Dave Callipare (1) V-Gun NF SK Biathlon
12. 75 Bob Ellwood Remington 40-X Athalon Eley Team
13. 75 Derrick Warren (1) CZ 457 Vortex SK Rifle
14. 73 Dave Patton (2) CZ 455 SWFA SK Biathlon
15. 73 Jim Lochary (2) March SK Biathlon
16. 73 Derrick Warren (2) CZ 457 Vortex SK Biathlon
17. 73 Chuck Wagner Remington 40-X NF SK Biathlon
18. 72 Keith Phillips Tikka Vortex SK Biathlon
19. 72 Heath Patton Ruger Precision SWFA SK Biathlon
20. 71 Eric Lochary V-Gun March SK Biathlon
21. 71 Jim Lochary (1) Kimber Vortex SK Biathlon
22. 71 Celia Callahan V-Gun NF SK Biathlon
23. 70 Colton Lenman CZ 457 Leupold SK plus
24. 70 Dave Callipare (2) V-Gun NF SK Biathlon
25. 70 Dave Patton (1) CZ 455 SWFA SK Biathlon
26. 70 Dan Piatt Springfield 1922 Peep Sights SK Rifle
27. 68 Carl Duvall (1) Savage Bushnell Wolf (old)
28. 67 Kurt Yoder Sako Quad SWFA SK Pistol Match
29. 67 Butch McCort Remington 40-X SWFA SK Biathlon
30. 66 Dan Piatt Anschutz MPR SWFA Geco
31. 65 Jerry Gailraith CZ 457 Leupold Geco
32. 65 Dennis Lawrence Begara Bushnell SK Biathlon
33. 65 Carl Duvall (2) CZ 457 Vortex SK Biathlon

Topstrap

Reactions: BillOH