• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Results July 2023 Topstraps Rimfire Challenge

Topstrap

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2009
East side of Ohio
Another great match is in the books. Thank You to everyone that came. Without a doubt the busiest one I've ever had. My range is just a small 2 bench setup with a lot of rimfire swinger racks so it's not possible to run more than two thru at a time. Takes just under an hour to do two shooters and slightly less if I can get help spotting to run two at the same time instead of alternating. There were 51 entries, I do appreciate those that stayed to shoot but know a couple that left due to the wait time.

Usually a lot of BS and lies shared on the benches while waiting, sometimes we do spend a bit more time than usual with a newer shooter or one having issues but to me that is part of sharing the sport and keeps them wanting to keep coming back to shoot rather than getting frustrated and feeling it'll never get any better. If interested go to a local match, sit, watch and ask questions about what equipment is needed. You don't have to dive into a Vudoo or Rim-X with $20.00 ammo to compete.

Weather was was pretty nice all weekend but did have some rain on Sunday. Most shooters all three days were shooting high all the way out, sure wish I could get a handle on what weather condition causes this since I've seen it before on certain days and be back to normal the next. Crazy rimfire.

I have two classes with ammo cost being the dividing factor, anything above $10.00/50 is A class and under is B class. I still feel ammo is the biggest factor over the gun/scope used. There isn't any difference other than I give away a free entry for each class unless a B class shooter is highest score then the A class will have to try harder next month.

Ted Kernik brought his old H&R model 12 with peep sights, I had planned on shooting an old Remington 37 with an Arken but when Ted showed up with his H&R I shot the Rem 540-X again just to keep him on his toes. He amazed all of us when he shot two small bowling pins as bonus point targets at 100 yards that I couldn't even see to easily jump ahead of me. He had one bad round at 197 yards on the KYL stage and lost 5 points. He had me up till then. I love seeing him hit those targets with a old school peep sighted gun, wish more would give it a try.

Thanks to those that helped me paint/spot/score to keep things moving, it's very much appreciated. I didn't keep track of which days everyone shot but I may start doing that.

All scores are decided by reverse count, this month I gave a bonus point for each of the unused sighter shots that weren't used. They had up to 4 shots this month and most everyone took the bonuses instead of a sighter shot. Had to go back 3 or 4 places sometimes to find placement. Congratulations to Michelle Murrey for being top scorer in A class and getting a free entry next month, Derrick Warren showed us he still has it when needed to take the win for B class using SK Longrange. The two KYL racks really knocked a lot of good scores down, so the placement on the scoresheet doesn't always show how well a shooter shot. Next month those racks will be back to normal again so I'll be expecting to see those high scores again.

Score Class Name Gun Scope Ammo

1. 91 A Michelle Murrey Bergara Vortex Lapua Super Longrange
2. 88 B Dennis Kirkpatrick Rem 540-X Peep Sights SK Bia.
3. 86 B Derrick Warren CZ 457 Athlon SK Longrange
4. 86 B Bob Merillat Anschutz 1907 March SK Bia.
5. 85 A Bill Moran (2) Anschutz Arken R-50
6. 85 B Ted Kernik H&R 12 Peep Sights SK Bia.
7. 85 B Dave Callipare (2) Vudoo NF SK Bia.
8. 84 B Tim Humphrey Vudoo NF SK Bia.
9. 83 A Bill Nesbitt Vudoo Arken Eley SA BR
10. 83 A Keith Phillips Vudoo NF Center-X
11. 83 B Phil Palmisano Vudoo Arken SK Bia.
12 82 A Bill Moran Anschutz Arken R-50
13. 82 B Kenny Arnold CZ Varmit Vortex SK Bia.
14. 82 B Bob Brown Rem 40-X Athlon SK Bia.
15. 81 A Josh Tyler Vudoo Tract Eley Match Black Box
16. 81 B Dave Callipare Vudoo NF SK Bia.
17. 80 B Matt Dillon Vudoo Athlon SK Bia.
18. 80 B Scott St. Clair Savage Vortex SK Bia.
19. 79 B Chris Kirkpatrick Izhmash Arken SK Bia.
20. 88 B Jacob Cain CZ 457 SWFA 20X SK Pistol Match
21. 78 A Bill Moran (1) Anschutz Arken R-50
22. 78 A Justin Hoon Bergara Vortex Lapua Center-X
23. 78 B Dustin Fletcher CZ 457 Athlon ELey Club
24. 78 A Brian Murrey Vudoo NF Lapua Super Longrange
25. 77 A Shawn Bishop Vudoo Leupold MK 5 HD Eley 10-X
26. 77 B Jim Lochary CZ 457 Arken SK Bia.
27. 77 B Joe Strizak CZ 455 Arken SK Bia.
28. 76 B Steve Wilson CZ 457 Vortex Eley Target
29. 76 A Dan Bartok Anschutz NF R-50
30. 76 B Cuda Gatten Savage MK II Arken SK Bia.
31. 76 A Jason Lumbatis CZ 457 Vortex Viper Lapua Longrange
32. 76 B Tom Triplett CZ 457 MTR Vortex Diamondback Eley Club
33. 76 B Kurt Yoder Sako Quad SWFA 20X SK Bia.
34. 76 A Abigail Murrey Bergara Vortex Lapua Super Longrange
35. 75 B Matt Gallagher CZ 457 Vortex SE SK Bia.
36. 75 A Jeff Valentine Bergara Kahles Lapua Super Longrange
37. 75 B Matt Shatto Savage TR Arken Eley Club
38. 73 B Jerry Shaw H&R 12 Arken SK Bia.
39. 73 B Rick Sells Savage MK II Vortex PST Eley Club
40. 72 B Kenneth Triplett (1) CZ 457 Vortex Venum Tac-22
41. 72 B Chuck Wagner H&R 12 SWFA 20X RWS Target
42. 72 A Casey Crooks Rim-X NF Lapua Super Longrange
43. 72 B Dan Steyaert Savage MK II Arken Eley Club
44. 70 B Cork Hall Rem 513 SWFA Tac-22
45. 70 B Jason Corpeal 541-X NF SK Bia.
46. 69 B Kenneth Triplett (2) CZ 457 Vortex Venum Tac-22
47. 67 B Tom Rayner Rem 513-T NF SK Bia.
48. 65 B Boone Rayner CZ 457 Sightron SK Bia.
49. 65 B Celia Callahart Vudoo NF SK Bia.
50. 63 B Rich Harris Ruger RPR Vortex SK Bia.
51. 62 B Dennis Morrison Savage MK II Arken SK Bia.

Never seen sk biathlon shot at a match, good to know that it’s another option out there to try out.

I wish your "Topstraps Rimfire Challenge" was closer than 5 hours away, love seeing the posts about it though. Keep up the good work!
That's a one day trip. ;) Leave home at 5 AM. You'll get there around 10 AM when the backlog starts to clear out. Shoot the match, BS for a few hours and you still get home before dark. :)

Reactions: Topstrap