• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Results June 2023 Topstraps Rimfire Challenge

Topstrap

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2009
East side of Ohio
Another beautiful three days for my match, Friday and Saturday had a little bit of wind but not too bad and Sunday had a little rain but I like shooting in a light rain to help see hold off if needed. I still have two classes based on ammo costs with anothing above $10.00/50 in A and under in B.

Off Topic for a bit. A friend, Bob Brown brought down a Remington 540X single shot with Redfield Peep Sights for Chris and I to play with and see how it would do. I think he bought it years ago thru the CMP, he loaned it long ago to another friend who shot it at a 200 yard Palma match and got first place. It was then stuck back in the safe and Bob never shot it. Chris (my Son) saw it when he came down and when we got a break he was looking at it. Said he doubted he'd have enough travel to get to 197 yards as high as the sight was up, I mentioned it was probably still set at 200 yards from the previous outing. He tried turning the sight down and not sure if it was rust or many years of dirt on the threads but even after a soaking with WD40 (which is all I had down there) he had blisters and blood on his finger from trying to turn it down to get a 50 yard zero.

Looking thru the sights it was hard to see anything, a few good high velocity blows finally cleared out the cobwebs in the peeps which made things much better. I asked if he wanted to get settings for each distance since you have to count clicks between each distance. Nope, I'll try and use settings from the books H&R 12 with Redfields. Used SK Biathlon which had never been shot in the gun. Anyway he missed one on the second half of the 197 KYL rack being stubborn and not clicking down a couple since he had a nice group but up near the top of the plate. One went over and he lost the second half since it was a KYL stage. I figured what the heck, asked if settings were close and he said yeah but you'll have to tweak as you go. Long story short I cleaned the Peep Sight side of the course and got a couple bonus targets.

Just wanted to share this to show that you don't have to spend lots on a gun and scopes to be competitive, yeah some say the peep sight targets get a bit bigger as you you go out (4 MOA) but they stay pin pricks in the peep aperature and don't forget about having to compensate for wind with no reticle. Bob, thanks for letting us try your gun, it's a shooter and if it ever comes up for sale I'd like to be first in line. Just something so cool about hitting small targets looking thru a couple of holes in pieces of steel and putting groups on the targets that will rival the scoped guns.

OK, sorry about that. Back to the match, I also get to see a lot of various guns/ammo being used and still think ammo is the single biggest factor for high scores. Brien Murray has used the new Lapua Super Long Range two matches now and it is really impressive. He's a good shooter with good equipment but I could plan on where the impact would be on each target. Very very consistent, at least in his gun. I can see that the upper mid range stuff will do well but if you need those few extra hits to be at the top we're all gonna have to think about stepping up a tad on ammo. Randy Wise brought his tried and true SK Longrange and for some reason it just would not group, no idea why but it's usually spot on. I do believe weather plays havoc with this stuff too.

A couple more shooters hit all 10 targets with no miss at 197 (10" to 1") to earn a spot on my ceiling with no misses. Matt Shatto, Bob Merrillat and Tim Humphrey have been trying for a few years and finally accomplished it. Great shooting. Having two KYL target racks that have really been fun to watch the shooters squirm as they get 7, 8 or 9 in a row and have to think about taking that last shot and losing points or gaining that extra point with the last hit. Hitting that 1/4" wide bowling pin at 100 yards for 3 points can also be a game changer, give you a bigger lead or fall back a point with a miss. Think letting shooters have more input on how they want to shoot the stages adds a bit of fun to the course of fire.

Great shooting by everyone, it isn't easy but spending quality time behind the trigger learning to be friends with Mother Nature eventually pays off. I appreciate all the help I had with painting targets, spotting and scoring. It made the weekend go smooth and I don't think the wait was really too bad and I appreciate when we're allowed to help new shooters instead of pushing them thru and not helping them. I really enjoy watching everyone shoot and hit targets, especially newer shooters that start doing well. I hate having to mark zeros down or a bad round causing a miss early on in a KYL rack but that's part of it. I do get to claim any guns tossed into the woods or creek when heavy frustration overcomes the fun factor. A few shooters including Matt Gallagher could have won "B" class but that one more shot/miss on the KYL rack cost them points and the win. A mans "Gotta Know Your Limits" as Clint Eastwood always said.

This isn't easy and day to day weather conditions don't make this game fair for everyone, scores don't always indicate how well everyone shot. Targets are always up and everyone is welcome to get in touch with me if they'd like to stop by to check/get settings for their gun or just plain practice. I'd enjoy having you.

On to the scores, Brien Murray wins "A" class and Tim Humphrey wins "B" class so they get free entries next month. Sorry, I gave away the free pickup at another match.

All scores in order based on reverse count including the bonus stage.

Score Class Name Gun Scope/sights Ammo

1. 91 A Brien Murray Vudoo NF Lapua Super Longrange
2. 87 B Tim Humphrey Vudoo NF SK Bia.
3. 87 B Dennis Kirkpatrick Rem 540-X Peep Sights SK Bia.
4. 86 B Matt Gallagher(2) CZ 457 Vortex SE SK Bia.
5. 86 B Dave Callipare Vudoo NF SK Bia.
6. 85 A Bob Merillat Anschutz 1907 March Midas+
7. 84 A Dan Bartok Anschutz MPR NF RWS 50
8. 84 B Casey Crooks Rim-X NF SK Pistol Match SP
9. 84 B Matt Gallagher(1) CZ 457 Vortex SE SK Bia.
10. 82 B Bob Brown Rem 40-X Arken SK Bia.
11. 81 B Phil Palmisano Vudoo Arken SK Bia.
12. 81 B Bill Nesbitt Vudoo Vortex SK Bia.
13. 81 B Chris Kirkpatrick Rem 540-X Peep Sights SK Bia.
14. 80 B Randy Wise Anschutz Exemplar Pistol Arken SK Longrange
15. 80 B Matt Dillon Vudoo Athlon SK Bia.
16. 79 A Abigail Murray Bergara Vortex Lapua Super Longrange
17. 79 B Matt Shatto Savage Arken Eley Club
18. 79 A Michelle Murray Bergara Vortex Lapua Super Longrange
19. 78 B Cuda Gatten Savage MK II Arken SK Bia.
20. 78 A Jeff Valentine Bergara Kahles Lapua Super Longrange
21. 76 B Jim Lochary CZ 457 Arken SK Bia.
22. 76 B Kurt Yoder Sako Quad SWFA 20X SK Bia.
23. 76 A Jason Lumbatis CZ 457 AT-1 Vortex SE Eley Semi-Auto Precision
24. 76 B Ryan Parsons CZ 457 Athlon SK Bia.
25. 75 A Charlie Banachoski Vudoo Vortex PST Eley Match
26. 74 B Mike Stewart CZ 457 Arken SK Bia.
27. 74 B Rick Sells Savage MK II Vortex Eley Club
28. 74 B Jerry Galbraith CZ 457 NF SK Bia.
29. 73 B Blake Duncan CZ 457 Arken EP-5 SK Bia.
30. 73 A Chris Baker Rim-X NF Center-X
31. 73 B Jerry Shaw H&R 12 Arken SH-4 SK Bia.
32. 73 B Ted Kernik 10/22 SWFA SK Bia.
33. 72 B Kenneth Triplett CZ 457 Vortex Venum Tac-22
34. 71 B Cuda Gatten Savage MK II Arken Aquila
35. 71 A Kenny Arnold CZ 457 Vortex Center-X
36. 71 B Rob Jackson H&R 12 SWFA 20X CMP Eley
37. 70 B Joe Strizak CZ 457 Arken SK Bia.
38. 69 B Karen Marsh CZ Ultra Lux Vortex CCI Std.
39. 68 B Tom Rayner Rem 513 NF SK Longrange
40. 67 B Tom Triplett Bergara Trijican Eley Target
41. 67 B Chuck Wagner H&R 12 SWFA RWS Rifle
42. 67 B Frank Rose H&R 12 SWFA CMP Eley
43. 66 B Jake Slyder Ruger Precision Bushnell SK Rifle Match
44. 65 B Randy Gaus Ruger Precision Bushnell SK Rifle Match
45. 64 B Shannon Shatto Tika SWFA Eley Club
46. 62 B Dan Steyaert Savage MK II Arken EP-5 Eley Club
47. DNF B Butch McCort CZ 457 Bushnell CCI Std. He had a great run going but pain in his neck and shoulder caused him to stop.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrienM and BillOH
I spotted for Chris when he shot the peep sight gun. It was awesome to watch. I saw the whole thing from when Bob left the rifle to Chris trying to get the sights to move. After Chris shot, I shot the gun at 50 yards. I could get hits on the bigger sighter target, but I didn't hit the regular peep target. That target is tiny looking through the sights.

Alas, I did NOT know my limitations when I shot my match. :)

This is always a fun match.

Reactions: Topstrap
I spotted for Chris when he shot the peep sight gun. It was awesome to watch. I saw the whole thing from when Bob left the rifle to Chris trying to get the sights to move. After Chris shot, I shot the gun at 50 yards. I could get hits on the bigger sighter target, but I didn't hit the regular peep target. That target is tiny looking through the sights.

Alas, I did NOT know my limitations when I shot my match. :)

This is always a fun match.
Those peep targets look big but they are deceiving when peering thru the sights. It also don't take too many shots to get eye fatigue, especially after spotting for three days. Just another challenging part of shooting.

I think the KYL racks add some fun, hope others think so. Let me know of any ideas to help spice it up.

Thank You for the help painting targets and spotting/scoring.

Topstrap

Reactions: BillOH