• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Results October Topstraps Longrange (midrange) Rimfire Challenge

Topstrap

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2009
East side of Ohio
I know, match report is late again. Been a busy week after the shoot trying to get a lot of small excavating jobs done for folks that see Winter coming. It was absolutely beautiful for the four days of my last shoot this year. Leaves were very vivid and colorful, slight breezes had the leaves falling like giant rainbow snowflakes. Some shooters had a slight shifting breeze making shots on the smaller high value targets hard to hit but other times it was dead calm and allowed for some high scores.

I'm not sure what it is about shooters when you mention "timed" match but it sure seems to scare them off. I had 11 entries which would have paid someone $100.00 if they won that part of the match and beat last years Match Winner. I messed up and allowed 100 shots in the bowl this year but last year only allowed 90 shots so I had to recalculate last years score to be even with this year. I did put in some different racks for the timed even which eliminated some of the harder to hit racks which would slow a competitor down.

You still were precision shooting but just at a faster pace which I think is good practice especially if you're shooting somewhere that has wind problems. Get on target, shoot the shot and move on. When I recalculated last years score after adding the 10 additional rounds the top score was really close to being the same as this year. Chris shot in the middle of the day with some wind and had three other competitors watching. He hadn't shot it previously (except for last years match) and didn't know what the targets were before he started. That gun is crazy accurate and uber fast, I'd still like to see some of the local fast NRL/PRS competitors come try it just to see how they would do. Easy to be fast on a stage or two but try 15 racks at varying distances with only 1 10 round mag and the timer running. Fun to say the least.

OK, scores continue to increase as more shooters with only a couple targets dividing the top finishers. I have a few racks where a shooter can choose to gamble (their choice for a smaller target worth more points) their shots but it can also be the target that cost them the win. Nearly everyone is still using SK Biathlon which is one of the most consistent ammo I've seen used, I spot for most shooters and can see the difference it's been making.

I want to thank everyone that came down this summer to shoot, I appreciate it and hope you had fun. I don't have the distances the other local matches do but do hope the variety and challenge of the targets keep it fun for everyone. If I'm still here next year and we still have guns and ammo and are allowed to use them I'll be here but probably won't start up until at least April. It'll still be the second weekend and probably Fri, Sat and Sunday.

october2020fullrangepicture.jpg

Timed Event scores first. Might be a bit confusing but it's all calculated in and no matter how we experimented the fastest, most accurate with the most rounds left over wins. I didn't film any of the competitors but am going to get Chris to shoot thru the match again and post up a video of his whole run from start to finish. The targets used are the exact same as were used last year to keep it all even.

I'll try to show the time, targets hit, rounds left over and targets not hit in the timed event results.

Time will show minutes and seconds (00.00) used out of 20 minutes allowed. There were 75 targets to hit.

Score Name Gun Scope Ammo Time used Targets Hit Rounds Left Targets left

1. 149.15 Chris Kirkpatrick Izhmash SWFA SK Bio 9 min 50 sec 75 13 0
2. 116.54 Kurt Yoder Sako Quad SWFA SK Bio 13 min 18 sec 75 18 0
3. 113.07 Dave Callipare V-Gun NF SK Bio 13 min 16 sec 75 15 0
4. 103.27 Jerry Galbraith CZ 457 NF SK Bio 15 min 39 sec 75 23 0
5. 101.53 Bill Nesbitt 10/22 Vortex SK Bio 15 min 07 sec 75 11 0
6. 87.96 Dave Callipare V-Gun NF SK Bio 15 min 55 sec 75 9 0
7. 79.09 Bill Nesbitt 10/22 Vortex SK Bio 18 min 20 sec 75 12 0
8. 75.00 Karen Marsh CZ Ultra Lux SWFA SK Bio 20 min 0 sec 73 19 2
9. 70.83 Shawn Lutey V-Gun Vortex Norma 20 min 0 sec 72 16 3
10. 55.00 Bob Merillat Kidd 10/22 NF SK Rifle 20 min 0 sec 62 16 12
11. 48.33 Butch McCort Volkuartzen SWFA CCI 20 min 0 sec 58 12 16

Some shooters tried to be more accurate and have rounds left over, others used sighters as needed to get on target and get hits, others just went for it. Chris got hung up on a bowling pin and sent 7 rounds at it before finally shooting a sighter and seeing he needed to hold more wind. I did not call misses, only hits.

OK, on to the regular match results. Good shooting by everyone, Tim Humphrey won the match with his one gamble shot on the 1/4" wide bowling pin at 100 yards, sometimes it pays to gamble and other times not. Peep sight shooters don't have a gamble target but our targets are a bit bigger out farther but I think it evens out, makes those scoped guys work for it though. Everyone had 85 targets and 3 bonus hits for a total of 88 points if you shot all 1 pointers and no misses. Had a couple new shooters that shot very well and got some good settings for next year. I was the lone peep sight shooter using my BSA Martini International and got lucky to clean the course and all three bonus shots on a clay pigeon at 195 yards, I just love shooting that old gun, hope I can continue next year but you never know with 66 year old eyes and small targets.

Wanted to also thank Bob Brown and others for helping me spot and paint targets during relays, it sure does help and I appreciate it a lot. Don't be bashful about jumping in to spot, you can learn nearly as much by spotting as shooting if you pay attention. It's not easy and we all miss a call when they are close but everyone understands that and life goes on.

All ties decided by reverse count.

1. 89 Tim Humphrey V-Gun NF SK Bio
2. 88 Dennis Kirkpatrick BSA Martini Int. Peeps SK Bio
3. 88 Dave Callipare (1) V-Gun NF SK Bio
4. 86 Jerry Galbraith CZ 457 NF SK Bio
5. 86 Jim Lochary (2) V-Gun March SK Bio
6. 86 Jim Lochary (1) V-Gun March SK Bio
7. 86 Mike Moore (1) Anschutz Bushnell SK Bio
8. 85 Mike Moore (2) Anschutz Bushnell SK Bio
9. 84 Carl Duvall (2) CZ MTR Vortex SK Bio
10. 84 Celia Callahan V-Gun NF SK Bio
11. 84 Dave Callipare (2) V-Gun NF SK Bio
12. 81 Dan Bartok (2) Anschutz NF Fed
13. 81 Rube Perkins Kidd 10/22 NF SK Bio
14. 81 Kurt Yoder Sako Quad SWFA SK Bio
15. 81 Bob Brown Rem 40-X Weaver SK Bio
16. 80 Dennis Lawrence V-Gun Bushnell SK Bio
17. 79 Dan Bartok (1) Anschutz NF Fed
18. 79 Jerry Shaw H&R 12 SWFA CMP (Eley)
19. 78 Cody Bell-Sharp CZ 457 Vortex Fed
20. 78 Carl Duvall (1) CZ MTR Vortex SK Bio
21. 78 Dan Bartok (1) Anschutz Pistol NF SK Bio
22. 76 Chuck Wagner H&R 12 SWFA SK Bio
23. 75 Butch McCort Rem 40-X Bushnell SK Bio
24. 73 Dan Bartok (2) Anschutz Pistol NF Fed
25. 69 Bob Ellwood Rem 40-X Athalon SK Std.
26. 69 Shawn Lutey V-Gun Vortex Tac-22
27. 54 Lester Sharp Ruger RPR Vortex CCI Std.

Topstrap

Reactions: JKW70