• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Results Odessa FV200yd F-Class November 28th

STP

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 9, 2002
Watkins Glen, NY
We had an interesting day on the range. Three of us made the journey to shoot in some variable winds from the northwest...as forecast
shocked.gif

As it turns out, there are no formal scores to post. Greg fired 2 targets worth, and Sled had a most unfortunate scope failure shortly after he started shooting for score. I elected to let Sled shoot my .260 Remington the second relay, so I did not finish 40 rounds for score.

Sled`s scope failure was something I`ve never witnessed at a match before...he had but 2 or 3 rounds on his first target for score after sighters and had his side-focus dial on his scope seperate from the body of his scope...resulting in an impossible situation, no ability to focus to see the target!! So he was finished shooting the Rem700 .308Win for the day.

On a positive note, Sled kicked my butt with my own rifle, shooting a much better score in his second relay than I did in my first.

At first I was a bit saddened that there were only three of us. Having read the match announcement follow up comments while I was busy at the load bench as soon as I got home (loading the 6BRX), I see that there should be a few more guns for next week.
whistle.gif

All said, we each had a good day. Greg tried a few different loads using the 95gr bullets while Sled experienced a scope failure and at the same time, got to "finish" with the RO`s rifle. Dunno if he has ever used a home-brewed Savage, but he sure did shoot well with it!

Thanks to Greg and Sled for attending!

We shoot next Saturday, after the club meeting.

Scott

Re: Results Odessa FV200yd F-Class November 28th

Checked my log book when I got home - 661 rounds thru that rifle/scope combo. Once I get things with that squared away I'll post pics of the carnage. First I want to talk with the dealer and find the course of action to correct the issue. Maybe that new scope is sooner in my future than I expected?

Regardless, it was a fun time. It was my first time ever behind a Savage of any kind. Also my first time using a rest. Certainly a different technique than the bipod.

It was also good to shoot a different style stock. The more I shoot mine, the more I'm not sure I like the shape at the pistol grip. The shape of the stock just seemed more natural/comfortable in my hand. Not that it translates into anything downrange....

Is there a 22LR class? Last time I had mine out I could hold just about 1 inch at 100 yards. Never had it to 200 yards. And in winds like today, hitting the backer board would be a challenge in itself!

I'm still in a bit of shock over that scope. I've never seen any complaints about that issue online. Other issues, yes, but not this. In a way, it served it's purpose. I wanted to try a lower end scope to see if I was going to like this precision long range stuff without sinking too much money into it. Well, I like it. And, I learned a bit about what I want in my next scope (besides knobs that stay where originally installed).

Thanks for a good day at the range!

No windage for me either. I had placed wind streamers at 75yd and 150yd, and they (as usual) never moved in unison. I also made a conscious effort <span style="font-style: italic">not</span> to try correcting for wind effects, rather to see where they were going relative to the wind streamers. FV200 is supposed to be training event, right? All I can say is, even that's not fully explanatory about what's happening at Odessa when the headwind blows in the slot. As usual, wind flags on 'interesting' terrain are often more confusing than informative. I need a lot more of them, and I also need to do some serious investigative work with them.

I intend to do some .22LR experimentation, with wind flags all the way out, to see if I can mine that mass of data for some useful corrective measures; but that will come after my return from Orlando in the Spring.

The ones in the slot (narrow, farther region) showed a headwind, and the ones in the field (nearer region), showed a left wind. Horizontal deflections never exceeded what I had expected for a 10-15mph crosswind, yet forecast winds were 15-20MPH with gusts to 33. Again, vertical oddness accompanied the headwind, much as I am coming to expect; i.e. headwinds at Odessa equate to vertical oddness, an' dat's da name o' dat tune...

In truth, having fired a full hundred rounds yesterday, I can see now that about half of the horizontally dispersed rounds got there purely through my own ineptitude. But the exercise also taught me volumes about what approaches/techniques work and which don't work.

Do we have a .22LR class? Good question, would you like there to be one?

We could discuss it here, and make some moves toward formulating an event concept if response warrants. This much I can tell you right up front, I'll be running it. I have zero intentions/tolerance of/for dumping any additional loads on Scotty's generous, if heavily loaded, shoulders.

Greg

PS Edited to add: Comparing a .308/175gr 200yd drop of 10+ inches to a 10+ inch drop on a std velocity .22lr, the corresponding distance for the .22LR would work out to 75yd. Why equate according to drop distance? It's TOF. The same drop equals the same time of flight; .24sec for the .308, .25sec for the .22LR. More simply, at 100yd, 10MPH windage for the .22LR is over 11MOA, and that's ridiculous.

May I ask the size of the "10" ring you use on the 200 yards F-Class match?

We don't have a 10 ring on our club FV200 target. It is based on the old-style V/5 target.

The scoring rings are 5, 4, and 3 points, with a V-ring. The 200yd V-ring is 1", 5-ring is 2", 4-ring is 4", and 3-ring is 6". There are two 6" scoring shapes arranged side-by-side landscape style on a 14" x 8 1/2" legal size paper sheet, with a 1/2" border. Anything between the border and the 6" 3-ring is 2 pts. All rings are bold black outlines on white paper, with a 30% gray 5-ring. The gray allows spotting of hits.

It's a club match, fired on our own proprietary club target, not endorsed outside the club by any organization. Rifles and rules are according NRA F Class Fullbore comp, except that we allow brakes. 40 rounds for score in two 20rd/30 minute stages, with unlimited sighters on separate 5/vring sighting tagets, within the 1/2 hour stage. A possible is 200/40V.

Why do you ask?

Greg

Greg,

I haven't been ignoring your question about the 22lr class. My first inclination is to say "sure, more shooting is better". But, given the attendence levels, I'm not sure it's practical. And honestly, I'm not sure I could free up more days a month for it.

Honestly, I'd be content with just adding 22lr to the current setup. Are good scores likely to be posted? No. But, it would be a big learning experience for reading the wind. If you did pull them closer for 22, I'd go no closer than 100 yards. But, I am looking at this as a learning experience, not getting perfect scores.

Just something to think about.

Some years back we ran a Parent/Youth match, with adults shooting a target with C/F at 100yd, and kids shooting the same target at 50yd with R/F, off mats on the grass to the right side of the regular line. Worked great.

I figure we could do something simultaneously with FV200 C/F, and RFV alongside at 75yd. Take turns C/F-R/F on alternate relays. No additional time, no conflicts for targets. Believe me, 100yd is too big a stretch for the .22LR when the wind is up; and if you don't think 75yd on our target is a challenge, I remind you folks said the same thing about that target with C/F at 200yd, and we all know how <span style="font-style: italic">that</span> turned out, don't we?

Greg