• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Results Odessa FV250yd F-Class August 3rd

STP

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 9, 2002
Watkins Glen, NY
A very nice day on the range... and another "wind clinic" tossed in.

F-Open

1. STP 198-16V 6BR

F-T/R

1. Andy M. 198-24V 223Rem
2. Dan M. 191-15V 308Win
3. Allan B. 189-10V 223Rem
4. K. Mussack 187-10V 308Win

Bench T/R

Steve 185-10V 308Win

Bench-Open

1. John P. 195-16V 223Rem
2. Tony L. 193-12V 6BRX
3. George S. 191-23V 6BR
4. Greg L. 185-15V 30BR
5. Dewey S. 166-10V 308Win
6. Todd P. 163-4V 223Rem

Regards,

Scott

Good turnout, wish I could of been there, I had to help my dad work on his roof. Hopefully I'l make the next one. Good shooting!

A few of us were left scratching our heads. I think the wind gave us some suspicions about whether or not there was something oddly wrong about our loads. Rethinking all of this, I'm going to leave my current load as is, and see how well it performs under more favorable conditions.

I think we all just keep underestimating how diabolical Odessa can be when the wind is out of the North.

Scotty seems to have a home field advantage, kudos for his mastery of yesterday's conditions; and Andy, heck, he's just bein' Andy again...

Greg

I`ve refrained from saying this, but our range seems to mimmick what we experienced at the Bodines Full Bore Prone League. (2002-2006)

The early relays enjoy somewhat favorable conditions and then the later relays have some "homework" to do during our last 20 rounds for score.

Sure miss the old days....

Regards,

Scott

Most ranges point roughly North to take advantage of the sunlight. Ours points roughly NNW and favors winds from 6 O'clock, or the SSE. When it comes from 12 O'clock, or NNW, it flows over the ridge behind the targets, cascades downward, and funnels down the cut/lane toward the firing line. That was the condition Saturday. All that 'funneling' creates swirls and eddies along the length of the lane, as the wind flags demonstrated, always pointing in different directions, and seldom remaining in any particular configuration.

If there is a strategy that counteracts such conditions, I have yet to find it. My technique is to apply no technique, simply bite the bullet, aim dead center, and shoot through the disturbances. Accept that points will fall, and that everybody has the same problems, so it's still a level paying field. That's what I did, what I suspect everyone did, and I'm still wondering what Scotty and Andy did different. Maybe they'll share. You could wait for calm, but I don't know/think there's enough time in a relay to do that when the wind is as it was Saturday.

When the wind quarters, it spills over the sides of the lanes, creating rolling turbulences somewhat like the currents at the base of a waterfall. There's a lot of lot vertical and horizontal in these air currents, and they tend to be dissimilar across the lane from side to side.

These conditions do, to some degree, mimic Bodines; but they remind me even more of Cherry Ridge NJ.

Model aviators (and full scale aviators as well) recognize the more still conditions nearer sunrise and sunset, and the thermal-driven air currents nearer midday. The earlier we begin our shoots (as was the case at Bodines) the more this time/winds disparity affects our conditions.

Greg

Last edited:
I have always blamed all my bad shots on operator head space....Not intended to rile you..sorry about that...

Reconsidering Bodines, I also recall that the 30 minute time limit per relay was done in association with tended targets, to allow for the added time target pit service requires. Given that our targets are not tended on an individual shot basis, I wonder just how many shooters utilize our full 30 minute time allowance, and whether a reduction to a 20 minute time limit per relay might have some value. It seems to me that we often call time before the full 30 minutes is consumed, anyway.

I'm not intending to shorten the overall match time, maybe the 10 minute time difference could be added to the break between relays, so barrels would still get adequate time for cooling. It could permit for more social time, which has always been one of the highlights of my match enjoyment.

Greg

Last edited:
Reconsidering Bodines, I also recall that the 30 minute time limit per relay was done in association with tended targets, to allow for the added time target pit service requires. Given that our targets are not tended on an individual shot basis, I wonder just how many shooters utilize our full 30 minute time allowance, and whether a reduction to a 20 minute time limit per relay might have some value. It seems to me that we often call time before the full 30 minutes is consumed, anyway.

I'm not intending to shorten the overall match time, maybe the 10 minute time difference could be added to the break between relays, so barrels would still get adequate time for cooling. It could permit for more social time, which has always been one of the highlights of my match enjoyment.

Greg

Greg-------I belive we do have 1 fellow that uses the full 30 minute time allowed...Thought you was going to be there Tuesday?

Ok about the time allotment, I was just thinking out loud.

I would have been there yesterday but either Celia or I have Doctor's appointments and/or family obligations every day this week except Tuesday, and I/we needed to take some downtime to recharge, been going straight every day since Friday.

My Buddy Doc was there (I think) and says his latest scope mount for the Mosin-Nagant 91/30 finally seems to be holding up.

I got a delivery, my new little Ultrasonic cleaner unit, a little after Noon, and tried it out on some of Celia's jewelry and some older cartridge brass with major caked firing residue inside. The jewelry took 10 min, and is much improved. The brass took 1hr to get 'close', and another 30 min to get immaculate. It's really kinda amazing how well this thing cleans the crud off/out of much fired brass using nothing but warm water, some Dawn, and a little Lemishine. The device is small, holds about 100 .30-'06 cases at most, pretty near perfect size for what I need.

Greg

Last edited:
Son Todd came up for some practice this a m befor the rain..we both shot the course of fire only we shot all 20 rounds on the same target..My grandson even gave it a try..we all had fun..

I saw you toss the kites on high
And blow the birds about the sky;
And all around I heard you pass,
Like ladies' skirts across the grass

Robert Lewis Stevenson