• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Results of Long Range Shooting With Small Caliber Rimfire Ammunition

rick137

All rig and no target.
Supporter
Banned !
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2014
OR
Come one, come all, it is a big tent. The purpose of this thread is to record the results of long range shooting with small caliber rimfire ammunition. Long range is what the shooter considers long range but a minimum distance of 200yd and a maximum distance the maximum distance of the bullet should correspond to what most people consider long range.

Just post in this thread the following basic information:
1. Distance
2. Target size and shape
3. Number of shots
4. Number of hits/impacts
5. Caliber and bullet type: lead, copper jacketed lead, solid copper

An example could be 723yd, disk with 15” diameter, 35 shots, 17 impacts, 22LR lead bullet.

Any distance, target size and shape, number of shots and caliber and bullet type is fine, no restrictions. No time restriction but reasonable to say all shots in one session.

Examples of target size and shape could be disk with 5.0” diameter, square with 10” side, or rectangle 12” high and 7” wide.

Any additional information is at your discretion. Additional information could be photo of the target, photo of your rig, environmental conditions particularly wind speed and direction, type and lot of ammunition, support, barrel accessories such as muzzle brake, silencer, tuner, …... Support could be anything from rail gun to standing offhand.

The eye and ear of the shooter, his/her spotter or both determine the hits/impacts. For paper/cardboard targets best edge scoring is reasonable with shooter determining if the best edge of the bullet hole cut the boundary of the target.

The goal is to record more information than simple I shot at 1300 yards and made several hits. More information will give other shooters a sense what can be done, or perhaps more to the point what has been done to date, and if you are competitive what you have to beat to be the best.

If no one is interested, this thread will die a justifiable death. It is an experiment focused on ends rather than means, that is results rather than gear.

40747A3E-335C-469B-A7CD-C9B00E706C71.jpeg

300 yards 22lr
Circle sticker 3”
40 grain sk long range match
5-8 mph winds
20” vudoo 360 mtu barrel

Another episode of 50@350. A buddy loaned me a 20" by 20" steel target and I set it at 350 yards beside my other targets. I got there fairly early before the wind picked up and worked with my 10-22 getting windage and elevation settings. I was shooting several shots in a row trying to see how many hits I could get off before I heard the ring of the first shot of the string. I couldn't always hear my hits, so when I went downrange to paint, I was pleasantly surprised with the number of hits. I decided to try again. I videoed it but the ringing of the hits on the target are heard to hear. I loaded two 25 round mags and went to work. I could hear 2 and 3 hits and sometimes 4. On the second mag I concentrated harder and had at least one string of 5 hits in a row. The Kidd 2 stage trigger didn't hurt. When I went downrange I was surprised to find 49 distinct hits on the target with 50 rounds fired, so I was getting nearly all my hits.

Distance: 350 yards
Target 20" square
50 shots with 49 hits
I was shooting a 10-22 that had been worked on by CPC.
This was rapid fire shooting SK Biathlon ammo. 40 grain lead at 1100 fps.

attachment.php

Reactions: mrt949 and rick137
Took along my Remington 40X to Rayners and tried stretching its legs a bit. Was a bit breezy but at times held steady for a while. After working my way from 235 out thru 400 yards we moved over to the 500 yard target. Took a couple shots to get the wind right due to facing a different direction than the previous distances. Shooting at a 16 inch i connected 2 in a row and told my Son we needed to film it. Got the next three hits then a dropped round. The wind picked up a bit and the next one went off the right side, made a correction and got the next hit. So far it was 6 for 8. Let my Son try and got the next two in a row. After that the wind picked up a tad and we never touched it again that session. 8 for 10, I'll take that any day. Wish all the shots had been filmed.

If you notice at the beginning the close windflag was blowing pretty stiff right to left and towards the end you can see the leaves in the trees to the right start to move more. Sure don't take much to mess with these 22s. They say it isn't true with no pictures but video don't lie. This was a few years ago, now 500 isn't such a big deal, have done it with my ELR pistol and others are doing it everywhere now.

Topstrap

Last edited:
1. Range = 300m (328 yards)
2. Target = 300mm x 300mm square (12"x12") (yellow is ~ 4" x 4")
3. Shots = 8
4. Hits = 5
5. Ammo Eley Standard, 22LR, Lead Round Nose

CZ 457 MTR 20"
Vortex PST Gen 1 4-16x44mm
Area 419 50MOA rail

Prone
Harris bipod / rear bag

13-15 kmh wind (8-10 mph)

Was struggling to see hits to fine tune windage - time for a scope upgrade ;)

IMG-1232-4.jpg

IMG-1179.jpg

August last year.
200 yards
24in round steel.
CCI SV from a stock Ruger 10/22.
Held 8 mil and shot #1 went high, just off the plate.
Held 7.5 and shot the other 9, should have held 7.3

IMG_4057.jpg

Hope to do better and further in the near future.

Reactions: obx22
PXL_20220327_040559956.jpg

Yesterday
100meters
75mm steel plate
15kmph crosswind
Browning T bolt sporter 17hmr
Hornady 17gr VMax

Bigger white gong is just for sighting in.

Reactions: obx22 and lash
Tikka T1X
300yds
2/3 IPSC sillouhette
CCI SV
Shot suppressed even though it doesn't sound like it. Not sure if that's due to the altitude or temp/humidity. Hit 8/10.

Reactions: obx22
This from a few years ago - 2018. Son was 8yr, daughter 11yr.

Skills are coming along. Both able to go 5 for 5 at 100m on a 8" roumd plate. All shots were inside a 4" centre zone. A little bit of wind around and first time doing some positional work. Both also were able to first round hit, and go 5 for 5 at 170m on the same plate (this from bipod prone position). Lithgow LA101, Geco Red standard velocity ammo.

I was able to hit 10 from 10 at 250m on same plate - 8" round.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1648488702683.jpg
    FB_IMG_1648488702683.jpg
    423.7 KB · Views: 39
  • FB_IMG_1648488697363.jpg
    FB_IMG_1648488697363.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 41
E7D4534C-1B9B-4ED0-9DB0-43C7FA4E8A6F.jpeg

The target/info:
Geco Bolt Rifle
Lead Round Nose, waxy lube.
On this day- 1065FPS
Sighter to gauge wind deflection and app error. Centered group after elevation adjustment and holding for wind.
Bottom group fired by a friend holding low with the reticle.
Target was the back side of two calendars stacked up, and the 1” pasty.

Last edited:
Reactions: HPIguy
3364B2CB-3F5A-4AF3-925B-8A0E18DC5422.jpeg

The set-up:
In Dec. met 5 friends for practice in wind and tweaking our apps. out to 500yds. Everybody else was moving on thwacking steel, I wanted to see my groups.
2019 Bergara B14-R dropped in their BMP stock. Factory trigger, Vortex SE 5-25 in MOA resting in MPA-BA mount on a 40MOA steel NightForce rail.
The Geco Bolt Rifle wears the RWS headstamp, cycles well, with no duds. I did finally connect at our 500yd steel- but my dope past 300 was way off.