• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Results with 300gr 338 Accubond

.375Mojave

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
I have been travelling for 3 weeks and may have missed some posts, but has anyone been working with the new 300gr 338 accubond in a Lapua Mag?

Mine loves both 300ge SMK's and 300gr Scenars (both around 1/2 MOA with H100) and I am thinking about going to the Accubond for hunting elk this fall. Just wondering what kind of accuracy guys are getting out of this, compared to other projectiles.

Thanks

Re: Results with 300gr 338 Accubond

I was also planning on loading these up for an elk load. I am going to pick some up and give em a whirl.

I know they are not "designed for hunting" but don't you think a 300 grain bullet with 4800 ft/lb would do the job? I load light for mine and at 640 yards the exact muzzle energy is what a .308 Winchester is point blank. Elk are big , never taken one much less hunted one, but I would think the scenars would do it..... No offense intended, just meant it almost as a curious comment.

I have asked that question over a few forums in the past. Some people have had good results others not so good. I have done a lot of elk hunting and for me personally I wouldn't use a match bullet. I want to ensure it's as clean a kill as possible especialy at long ranges. These new Accubonds at first glance seem to be perfect for just that as it is a tried and true hunting bullet with no sacrafice in BC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aimsmall55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know they are not "designed for hunting" but don't you think a 300 grain bullet with 4800 ft/lb would do the job? I load light for mine and at 640 yards the exact muzzle energy is what a .308 Winchester is point blank. Elk are big , never taken one much less hunted one, but I would think the scenars would do it..... No offense intended, just meant it almost as a curious comment. </div></div>

Actually, the Accubond was designed as a hunting bullet. They just happen to shoot almost as well or as good as match bullets.

a friend of mine took a 7x7 elk with a 300 scenar 338 lapua mag at 942 yds, it took a few steps and dropped dead.
shoot what you have, it will work.

I agree that the Accubond is, at first glance, an excellent choice for a 300gr hunting bullet for .338 LM. But, after picking up mostly intact, expanded, bullet core & jacket fragments from the dirt at 1K, many still bonded together, I would not hesitate to use the 300gr Berger to hunt at extreme range. Before seeing this, I would not have advocated the use of a match bullet for hunting.