• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

resurface porcelain old tub

oneshot86

Minuteman
Jul 13, 2001
citrus park ,fl
i have an old claw foot cast iron tub in my master bath, it deep wide, perfect for a bath, she we care to.
you cant buy new things like this any longer so, i believe i would like to re porcelain it.

looking for guidance and opinions, please

I dropped a heavy (hot) cast iron skillet on my kitchen sink and chipped the porcelain badly. In looking for a repair I learned that the chemicals to do that are extremely hazardous and can only be purchased if you have a license. But it can be done. talk to your local stone and marble countertop guys, maybe they can help.

Reactions: oneshot86
Maybe see if a powder coating company can recoat it. Not sure if it will work just and idea.

i have an old claw foot cast iron tub in my master bath, it deep wide, perfect for a bath, she we care to.
you cant buy new things like this any longer so, i believe i would like to re porcelain it.

looking for guidance and opinions, please
Get it done professionally. There are companies out there that specialize in restoring these types of fixtures

I had one done years ago, make sure to get a guarantee on the work, mine turned out very nice, just look on the internet or contact a commercial plumbing supplier, if it a 6 foot tub they are rare, nice new faucets are expensive.

i dont usually take a bath, but when i do, i enjoy how tall and long this tub is, and the tub is bullet proof.
my thought is, its foolish to replace the tub, even if i have to send it off.
i just want a real porcelain job on it not some faggy, no last paint

I had one done years ago, make sure to get a guarantee on the work, mine turned out very nice, just look on the internet or contact a commercial plumbing supplier, if it a 6 foot tub they are rare, nice new faucets are expensive.
you said years ago, but, what did you spend, if i may ask.

It was around $400 approximately 10 years ago, that included doing the feet. The faucet/ sprayer combo was about the same, wort every penny.

Reactions: oneshot86
I found a shop in RIC, VA that did work on tubs. Saw a few that were just dropped off, ones that were cleaned/prepped up, others that were finished for the customers. 100% the finished ones looked DAY 1 brand new. Search your local area, get work references.

Rustoleum has a kit , we redid ours last year. We got the kit at Fleet Farm but pretty sure it’s available elsewhere. The kit was about 70.00. We did the inside and outside and got replacement feet off eBay. We got the plumbing fixture from Amazon.turned out great. We found the date for our claw foot tub on the bottom of the tub, 1921. Pretty easy project really, good luck

Things outside of my skill wheel house I contract to the pros. I’ve never regretted doing that.

Reactions: Nik H