• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rethinking HD gun- SBR ballistics better?

Crang

What me worry?
Minuteman
  • Apr 13, 2006
    Texas Hills
    Been enamored with my AUG for HD for awhile and have it setup for such. Recently built an AR Colt Commando clone and its roughly the same length with a 11.5" barrel instead of the AUGs 16.25". Its also 3lbs lighter not that that matters for this discussion although the Colt is 1 in 7 vs the AUGs 1 in 9 twist. Lets just assume length wise they are identical. Anyway it got me thinking for an HD gun in suburbia where overpenetration is a factor- is the shorter barrel better? Since all shots will be 10 yards max the velocity with either is plenty however slower with less expansion vs longer with better expansion got the wheels turning. Curios what the hive mind says? I do like the fact the AUG has 42 round mags that function 100% but is the couple hundred fps it brings actually a detriment? I also have to keep my ammo to 69grs or less with the AUG due to barrel twist vs going to 75 or 77 with the Colt.

Basically 2500+ FPS is what’s. Ended and you can get that from 10.5 and above. Especially in home defense situations.

Either way no one is gonna take a rifle round in your house without getting somewhere. If you want to build another gun then do it. If you don’t want to keep the aug.

Basically 2500+ FPS is what’s. Ended and you can get that from 10.5 and above. Especially in home defense situations.

Either way no one is gonna take a rifle round in your house without getting somewhere. If you want to build another gun then do it. If you don’t want to keep the aug.

Already have both. It makes no difference to me which I use- not like its a difficult shot either way. Started thinking knocking 200 fps off might be better since Im in a neighborhood. Then wondered if the slower speed actually would keep rounds more intact and penetrate more and end up being worse for overpenetration. Probably overthinking it.

Probably overthinking it.

Yes, lol. There are a lot of good youtube videos where testing in done in ballistic gel using an SBR. I want to say some are under the arfcom channel over there. IIRC, the cheap winner for HD was the Frontier 62 gr. SP, which will work out of either of your rifles. If you're concerned about over penetration you can always buy something along the frangible lines.

Seems like sometimes we're more concerned about what happens after missing the threat rather than what the threat does if we miss.

Think about accuracy.. do drills. Build up confidence in ability to hit what you aim for in any position/situation.. then over penetration doesn’t matter. Or if you really want to up your hd/security then plan on getting out of suburbia.

Think about accuracy.. do drills. Build up confidence in ability to hit what you aim for in any position/situation.. then over penetration doesn’t matter. Or if you really want to up your hd/security then plan on getting out of suburbia.

Yeah I hear that. Next move is a homestead property but going to take me a few more years to get my ducks in a row. Its defintely the plan though.

Yeah I hear that. Next move is a homestead property but going to take me a few more years to get my ducks in a row. Its defintely the plan though.
    You can do a lot by changing to a different caliber to. Won’t ease your fears of over penetration though. 458 socom can be pretty close to max velocity at 12” and 300blackout has impressive numbers out of short barrels. Another thing to think about is a pistol. I am admittedly better with a rifle than a pistol (muscle memory) but if dealing with a threat or threats in a building that’s not wearing armor then I will grab a pistol first. The important thing is understanding the strengths and weaknesses of what you have at your disposal.

I think that the OP's worries can be solved with bullet selection.

Having touched off an M4 several times inside a building without hearing protection I can attest that one's sense of hearing will be shot for a day or so. Going to an 11.5" barrel is only going to make it worse. I wouldn't worry about me, but my family perhaps.

I live a LONG way away from any law enforcement, so my home/family defense is solely on me. I have more than one gun loaded and ready, but my 16" AR has Speer 55gr Gold Dots in it. To me and my particular situation, the ballistics of a bonded 55gr soft point are better than both varmint style and deep penetrating bullets. YMMV.

I would say that your situation should dictate what kind of ballistic performance that you require. Kids potentially downrange? Neighbors close by? You can get any kind of performance you want in either barrel length from ammo selection.

Reactions: LeadZeke