• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Reticle focus / diopter shift In LRHS scope .

Clearlight

Minuteman
Jul 23, 2014
Brisbane Australia
I’ve noticed that when I have the diopter set a long way out, to focus the centre of reticle for my aging eyes, the edges
get quite blurry . For those experienced with optic design , is this a common thing ? If I run the diopter further in, the
issue disappears . I use 1.5x to 2.0x glasses for reading, but my long vision is perfect, so I don’t use glasses for
shooting with optics . This is not a dig at the LRHS scope, it’s good value for the $, more an optical design question .

I've had 4 of the LRHS/LRTS and none exhibited the problem you're describing - I don't however wear glasses of any kind. Contact the vendor and send it back - or try and get behind another LRHS and see if the issue persists.

CL, are you overlooking that the diopter is there to adjust for eyesight? It is for focusing the entire reticle and not just the center. I'm hoping it is just you getting senial.

if the issue is disappearing when you run the diopter setting further in, then why not adjust further in?
When it is adjusted further in, is the whole reticle in focus, or just one of the stadia?
For example, vertical stadia is clear but the horizontal is not. If that is the case, it is usually caused by astigmatism.
Another cause of your difficulty might be cataracts.

No doubt my eyes are going downhill . The reticle is blurry unless I run the diopter a long way out . With
elevation maxed out , the reticle is still very blurry on the edges . Turn the diopter in , and whole reticle
goes blurry . With the diopter out , there’s a bit of parallax error too .

Today at the range , I ran a Hensoldt ZF 16 thru the same test , max elevation and diopter out and no
such issues . The guy on the next bench had a Nightforce competition model , tried the same thing .
Reticle stayed mostly in focus , but there was massive parallax error when target was in focus ....

Think I need to look for some tech vids on scope design : there are obviously many factors in optic
design that have interlinked effects . Short term solution may be to run glasses while shooting , and
run diopters in rather than out .

I've been wearing bifocals for close to 15 years. Back in my 40's, I could, like you, get by with cheaters for reading and had perfect long vision. Nowadays, my long vision is still good but needs some correction. I've learned to shoot with glasses.

It might be time to visit an optometrist.

How are you setting your diopter? Are you doing it looking at clear sky or a white wall? It doesn't work trying to focus on a target down range, or really if there is anything to "look at". You need to be focusing it when looking at nothing but the rheticle. This may be your problem if I understand, but I'm not following anything in this thread...

Also, you shouldn't be adjusting it while looking through it. It's best to hold it up, look quickly, and then look away and adjust, and keep repeating this till it's perfect. I'm not sure of the medical reasons of how the eye works, but it doesn't work well trying to readjust it while you're looking through it. Quick snapshots through it works best.

Once the diopter is set for your eye the reticle should be clear at all ranges, it should never need to be touched or adjusted again unless someone else is going to shoot it...

I have never heard of using it as a focus. Your paralx adjustment should be the only focus you use. Clearly I'm not understanding...

I’ve noticed that when I have the diopter set a long way out, to focus the centre of reticle for my aging eyes, the edges
get quite blurry . For those experienced with optic design , is this a common thing ? If I run the diopter further in, the
issue disappears . I use 1.5x to 2.0x glasses for reading, but my long vision is perfect, so I don’t use glasses for
shooting with optics . This is not a dig at the LRHS scope, it’s good value for the $, more an optical design question .

Some eyepiece designs are not very well optimized at the edges of the focus adjustment. See if you can try with another LRHS some time. If it does the same thing, there is a design issue.

ILya

I had a similar experience with one the early Burris XTRII. If I understand what you are saying. My eye sight is pretty good still, but I had to run the diopter all the way out to focus the reticle, then 0 parallax would be drastically out of focus. Looking for resolution, I just got a bunch of guff on how to focus the diopter. So I sold it. I bought another but honestly sold it before I used it. I have a 5-25 on the way right now. I would have to suspect there was something wrong with the first one, looking back on it. I will see when this one gets here. I suppose its possible some eyes don't play well with some scopes.

Thanks Ilya and Supercorndogs , you have understood the issues perfectly . I think the culprit is the
eyepiece , That design has quite a reasonable field of view for a small scope . A less ‘ wide angle ‘
eyepiece would possibly improve this issue .

Ilya , I’ve seen a video or two of yours , the way the light/ image path is processed in telescopes /
riflescopes is sensitive to many factors . Elevation travel, and diopter length seem to be the two
major culprits affecting edge image quality . I’m just going to run my diopters further in than ideal :
as long as parallax is eliminated, and I can reliably hit targets, perfect reticle focus is not a big deal .