• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Reticle Focus problems with F1

Mead

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Wyoming
I went to the range the other day hoping to get everything on my new rifle set up. After fooling with the reticle focus for about 10 minutes, I gave up. Any tips? I've read the manual, and gone through both extremes of focus. The reticle isn't clear at all anywhere...am I doing something wrong?

Re: Reticle Focus problems with F1

Are you using the Diopter or the Parralax adjustment to bring the reticle in focus?

No, just rotating the eyepiece. It *seems* to get slightly better at the maximum forward position, and *slightly* worse when it is completely rearward. It looks a lot better at 3.5 then it does at 15. The parallax is set at infinity, like the directions say, and I have tried adjusting it at both 3.5 and 15x (though the directions say adjust at maximum power).

yeah, they can be kind of confusing to a first time user. you are adjusting the magnifcation ring, not the diopter.

The diopter has a lock ring. first, you have to unlock the ocular (diopter) from the magnification. then turn the ocular, independent of the mag ring until it comes into focus. once focused, you will need to turn the lock ring back down on the ocular so it turns as one piece through the magnification range.

My explanation is kind of rough. I'm a better "do-er" than teacher. I've seen a vid on youtube. I'll see if I canfind it so you can see the parts I'm talking about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">let try and guess on what make of scope......... </div></div>

Nightforce F1, sorry, thought that was apparent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah, they can be kind of confusing to a first time user. you are adjusting the magnifcation ring, not the diopter.

The diopter has a lock ring. first, you have to unlock the ocular (diopter) from the magnification. then turn the ocular, independent of the mag ring until it comes into focus. once focused, you will need to turn the lock ring back down on the ocular so it turns as one piece through the magnification range. </div></div>

I have been adjusting the diopter, and double checked in the video (thanks by the way). The way I've been trying to focus the reticle is by starting it in the full forward position (screwed all the way in), and focusing on the reticle. Then I unscrew the eyepiece and stop when both the thing I'm aiming at and the reticle come into focus. Problem is, it doesn't happen. Aggravating to say the least

Well, I apologize. I don't have any advice then. Sounds like you are doing it correctly!

The only other thing I would suggest it to try doing it at a long distance object (1500 meters or more) or while looking at a wall right in from of the scope. It takes out the natural eye adjustment problems, sometimes your eye can play tricks on you and natural focus on close objects rather than the reticle.

Worst case scenario, it may have to be looked at. Mail order or can you take it back to a local shop?

point it at a blank wall or sky and adjust the reticle to be crisp (looking away often and only briefly looking at reticle to check its focus).
You will go nuts trying to focus on a reticle and a target when setting your scope up, and will have a maladjusted scope to boot.

Haha thanks sobr, I thought I was losing my damn mind

And know that on a NF a lot of turning of the diopter is a little adjustment. Do not look too long at the reticle or your eyes will be doing focusing that you should have dialed in.

After you think you have it right, walk away for 10 minutes or so, then peek through it really quickly, if the reticle's not crisp immediately you still have some fine tuning to do.

Sobr is right. Gotta do it in "little peeks" Otherwise it gives your eyes enough time to adjust naturally and you'll be chasing it.