• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Reticle replacement.

Dead Eye Dick

Command Spec 4 (formally known as Wiillk)
Supporter
Minuteman
May 18, 2020
North Louisiana
Have an older Leupold 6.5-20 VariX 3. It has MOA elevation and windage knobs but a MIL-DOT Reticle. A gift from our son and I put it on my RPR and despite its age, it has functioned perfectly. However, I would appreciate having a reticle match the dials. Even more so, I would really like to have a reticle that offered a MOA markings and possible with windage marks as well (As in the Leupold PR2 reticle).

First contacted Leupold. They reported back in a timely fashion that their custom shop was closed at this time and would notify me when it reopened. No real answer to my question but at least they did respond. I did an internet search looking for scope repair/restoration services. and like most internet searches it was all but a huge waste of time. I found quite a few business that refurbished older scopes but mostly much older than the Leupold and only one offered custom reticles. I left them a message to call and also an email message, but no response.

So, outside of calling it quits does anyone have any thoughts as to where else I might turn too or know of any people providing this service?

last thought, ordinarily the easy way is to sell and get something else, but it is a gift of sorts and as a rule, I don’t like to sell gifts.

Sadly, I have a similar problem. I bought a rifle and scope from a guy on arms list with a Leupold VX 5HD with BDC reticle that was not matched to the rifle (yea I know, I should have known better but that was the last time and I learned my lesson). Scope is pretty much useless and impossible to determine what rifle the BDC was originally matched. Leupold told me the same thing about the shop being closed 2 years ago. They said it didn’t make sense for them to run the shop given the demand they have for new scopes and I could check back with them to see if they ever reopen it. I love the scope, great glass, but I can’t even sell it ( unless I wanna be one of those guys on Armslist ). I could not find a scope shop that would respond and I was hoping someone had a response to your post that would help us out here.

Sadly, I have a similar problem. I bought a rifle and scope from a guy on arms list with a Leupold VX 5HD with BDC reticle that was not matched to the rifle (yea I know, I should have known better but that was the last time and I learned my lesson). Scope is pretty much useless and impossible to determine what rifle the BDC was originally matched. Leupold told me the same thing about the shop being closed 2 years ago. They said it didn’t make sense for them to run the shop given the demand they have for new scopes and I could check back with them to see if they ever reopen it. I love the scope, great glass, but I can’t even sell it ( unless I wanna be one of those guys on Armslist ). I could not find a scope shop that would respond and I was hoping someone had a response to your post that would help us out here.

There's this thing called a tall target for tracking testing. It would be super easy to measure your reticle.

Only bdc reticle I've seen in the vx5 is the Boone and Crocket. There's a handful of others but they're just moa or mil sfp grids.

Educate your kid about mil/mil optics so it doesn’t happen again.

To my knowledge there’s nobody doing this anymore. The best work around I’ve found is to just have moa data for elevation and mil data for wind holds.

Educate your kid about mil/mil optics so it doesn’t happen again.

To my knowledge there’s nobody doing this anymore. The best work around I’ve found is to just have moa data for elevation and mil data for wind holds.
My son purchased this scope twenty years ago and has long since educated his own self. Then made sure, I got educated, and dropped moa from my thinking. (Snipershide helped quite a good bit on this endeavor as well) It was his first ever high dollars scope. He’s now got a whole bevy of mil/mil FFP scopes.

Check out customturretsystems.com. I ordered these turret labels for my old MOA turret/Mil reticle Leupold scopes. They turned my scopes into usable Mil/Mil scopes. Very inexpensive. Try it out.