• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Reticle shift vortex viper pst

Defusion

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2008
Netherlands
I have recently received a replacement vortex viper pst scope (ffp, 6-24x, erb-2c reticle).

I noticed that if I turn the windage adjustment, the reticle in the scope actually moves.
Somehow I would have expected it to always remain centered.
I haven't noticed it before with my first scope (it was replaced under warranty), but never payed attention to it either.

Since I don't fully understand the internal workings, I'm not sure if it is normal behavior.

With the windage adjusted all the way to one side, the reticle has shifted right: shift right.jpg

and with it turned the other way, reticle has shifted left: shift left.jpg

Can someone confirm this is either normal behavior or if it is defective?

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, but would like to be more sure about it.

After some research, it would seem this is actually normal behavior.
I've been watching some youtube clips with people doing tracking tests on FFP scopes. Seems like the reticle also ever so slightly moves off-center while turning the knobs.
SFP scopes don't show the same behavior.

Can I ask anyone do do the test for themselves on any FFP scope (though preferably the viper pst)?
Turn windage turret completely one way, and check how many mils/moa you have visible on either side.
Then turn the turret completely the other way, and check if it is the other way around (and the reticle has thus shifted the other way).

If the pictures you posted were oblong or not a perfect circle I would say you are right. But from the pictures it looks like you got it perfectly centered and at the correct eye relief so there is no black obstructing the Image. Therefore it is not normal for the reticle to be off center. The reticle should always be in the center. I just went and bottomed out my windage and elevation and the reticle is still is still in the center of the image

Last edited: