• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reticle size

MALLARD

none
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2009
Mcdonalds
Hello.
I have a nf 12-42 with a npr2, says 2moa at 22x. So i used this formula i saw where in order to determine the distance between hashes at 42x , 22/42*2 = 1.047 moa. So roughly 1 moa per hash. I set a zero at 200y, then holding over fired a group at 300y and it was 3.25 inchs low , almost 1 moa. So i hold over to the hash below it and fire another group, now the group is 2.25 inch high, and the ideal hold from the 200y zero is more or less between the two hashes at 42x. I performed this several different times on different days and got the same result everytime. This distance between the two groups is 5.5inch.

So why is this happening ? why isn't the hash below exactly 1moa down or close to it ? Having no clue wtf im doing i have 1/((5.5-3.2457)/3.2457))=1.439moa between hashes and not 1.047.

What is the distance between hashs at 42x if the np-r2 is set to 2moa between hashes at 22x ? Any input or formula's would be appreciated. Sorry if this belong in the optics section. Thank you.

You do understand the difference between first focal plane and second focal plane right?

the reticle is only accurate at full magnification.

Reactions: MALLARD
You do understand the difference between first focal plane and second focal plane right?

the reticle is only accurate at full magnification.
yes i do. If it was a ffp it's be 2moa regaurdless of magnification, that is not my question. My question is what is the moa between hashes as 42x.

yes i do. If it was a ffp it's be 2moa regaurdless of magnification, that is not my question. My question is what is the moa between hashes as 42x.

According to night force there is 20 MOA below center. That means each hash is 2 MOA at 42x

According to night force there is 20 MOA below center. That means each hash is 2 MOA at
Thank you for reading my post. Thats 2moa at 22x, im asking about 42x.
n
https://www.nightforceusa.com/nightforce-scope-reticles.aspx
1626047720612.jpeg

Ah ok. Didn’t realize the optic had a specific range mag. Usually it’s max for a 2FP.

So if we apply a simple ratio formula since this is linear if it’s 2 at 22 it’s x at 42 so that would be 84/22= 3.81. which is just a hair under double since it’s only 42x not 44. Does that track?
thank you again. The formula i seen posted here would be (magnification/22)*2moa = moa from 1 hash to the next

so (22/22)*2 = 2 moa per hash, makes sense
therefore (42/22)*2=1.047moa per hash

but like i said when i fire using center reticle the hit is 3.25inch low at 300, when i move to the hash directly under it, the hit is now 2.25 inches high, giving a total of 5.5 inch between groups/ hashes at 300y, which equates more to 5.5inchs / (1.047 inch or 1 moa *3 for 300y) = 1.75 moa per hash.

if your calculation of 3.81moa per hash was correct then the groups should have been 3.81 moa * 3.141 inch being 1 moa = 11 inches apart or so. Does that make sense ?
Thank you again.

Don’t worry about what the formula is.

Go to the range, shoot at different distances and magnifications, and enter the actual data into a log book and use that for reference

Don’t worry about what the formula is.

Go to the range, shoot at different distances and magnifications, and enter the actual data into a log book and use that for reference
i agree and have done so, but i'd like to know the actual distances for wind , angle to target , or other conditions i havn't tested.

thank you again. The formula i seen posted here would be (magnification/22)*2moa = moa from 1 hash to the next

so (22/22)*2 = 2 moa per hash, makes sense
therefore (42/22)*2=1.047moa per hash

but like i said when i fire using center reticle the hit is 3.25inch low at 300, when i move to the hash directly under it, the hit is now 2.25 inches high, giving a total of 5.5 inch between groups/ hashes at 300y, which equates more to 5.5inchs / (1.047 inch or 1 moa *3 for 300y) = 1.75 moa per hash.

if your calculation of 3.81moa per hash was correct then the groups should have been 3.81 moa * 3.141 inch being 1 moa = 11 inches apart or so. Does that make sense ?
Thank you again.
So let me just suggest this and put this to rest. Make a target with either 1” grids or 1 MOA grids at 100 yards. Then zoom in to 42 and see what you see.

So let me just suggest this and put this to rest. Make a target with either 1” grids or 1 MOA grids at 100 yards. Then zoom in to 42 and see what you see.
hi i did that already , looks to be 1moa @ 42x, but that doesnt explain the 5.5" between groups

hi i did that already , looks to be 1moa @ 42x, but that doesnt explain the 5.5" between groups

Ignoring my earlier math......

at 100 yds, the first hash is 2 MOA or 2.094". at 42x, that same hash mark is roughly 95% of that, or 1.099" (just a hair more than 1 MOA). so at 300 yds and 42x, the first hash is 1.099*3 = 3.297".

42x is roughly 95% more of 22.

This is why 2FP sucks, especially one that ranges at a mid power and not max (and one where max isnt exactly double the ranging magnification)

Id also like to reiterate the distance or group size in inches is irrelevant. we measure misses and corrections in MOA or mils. But then agai, not being at all familiar with BR, maybe the inches are important (my wife says they arent, is she lying?)

Ignoring my earlier math......

at 100 yds, the first hash is 2 MOA or 2.094". at 42x, that same hash mark is roughly 95% of that, or 1.099" (just a hair more than 1 MOA). so at 300 yds and 42x, the first hash is 1.099*3 = 3.297".

42x is roughly 95% more of 22.

This is why 2FP sucks, especially one that ranges at a mid power and not max (and one where max isnt exactly double the ranging magnification)

Id also like to reiterate the distance or group size in inches is irrelevant. we measure misses and corrections in MOA or mils. But then agai, not being at all familiar with BR, maybe the inches are important (my wife says they arent, is she lying?)
ya , 1.099 is close to following the formula 22/42*2=1.0476 moa between hashes , at 100y 1.0476 *1.047in per 1moa = 1.0968" which is pretty close to what your saying.

the group sizes themselves are .75 inch at 300 , but this distance between the two different groups is 5.5inchs / 1.75moa when switching between hashes , and it should be more like 3" or 1 moa , but it's not. I guess the only logic is the groups are coincidental , and if i fired 20 shot groups the distance between groups would be closer to 1moa instead of 1.75

Thank you very much for your replies and reading my post.