• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Reticles- specifically mil-rad line

SgtMayhem

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2011
I am looking for a scope that has a mil-rad line reticle instead of the typical mil-dot reticle. I know Leupold makes some with the tactical milling reticle, but I am trying to see what all is out there with such reticles, as I like to be able to consider all my options.
Below is what I would like to have in a scope:

I prefer a 30mm tube (larger is A-OK lol)
First Focal plane is a definite
Max power at least 16x, no more than 24x, min power between 3x-6x
Obj lens at least 44mmm
Illum reticle would be NICE to have but not required
availability of sunshade and/or killflash type device
Zero stop is nice to have but not required
Mil adjustments is an absolute must
Ability to work with front mounted NOD is a plus, but again not required.

Budget is $1750 for the scope, eligible for military discount as well, and FFL holder.

Re: Reticles- specifically mil-rad line

Here is a list of reticles that meet your description (tactical milrad hash).

Leupold TMR
Nightforce MLR & MLR2
S&B P4 & P4F
Vortex EBR-2 & EBR-2B & EBR-3

I'm not going to bother listing actual scopes. You can spend days if not weeks reading old threads by using the search engine (or Google Discussions search).

I will say this, Leupold by FAR has the most generous LEO/MIL discount program. It will pay to give them a call for a quote.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AnthonyL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a list of reticles that meet your description (tactical milrad hash).

Leupold TMR
Nightforce MLR & MLR2
S&B P4 & P4F

I'm not going to bother listing actual scopes. You can spend days if not weeks reading old threads by using the search engine (or Google Discussions search).

I will say this, Leupold by FAR has the most generous LEO/MIL discount program. It will pay to give them a call for a quote. </div></div>

Could you have hit the nail on the head any harder??? lol

Thanks for the info, this def helps narrow down the search even further... I know that Leupold has a discount program, just never knew how much it was, as I know some places claim to have a discount, though I know I often have been able to find it through resellers with industry discounts for even less... which kinda pisses me off, but that is a whole other topic altogether... I will just say that there are few manufacturers that have true military/LE discounts that are better than dealer/industry prices that I have come across, as I qualify for both... lol

Almost all of the online retailers that support snipershide offer a MIL discount. Usually something basic like 10% across the board.

However you need to call Leupold directly in Bevereton,OR. Ask for the department that handles MIL discount purchases. They will take very good care of you and give you a price nobody else can touch.

I wish I would have served, there are some benefits. At they very least not to mention serving your country!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AnthonyL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Almost all of the online retailers that support snipershide offer a MIL discount. Usually something basic like 10% across the board.

However you need to call Leupold directly in Bevereton,OR. Ask for the department that handles MIL discount purchases. They will take very good care of you and give you a price nobody else can touch.

I wish I would have served, there are some benefits. At they very least not to mention serving your country! </div></div>

I know the best benefits I have gotten so far was the ability to do things that no civilian job offers, the ability to be completely non-PC, and to have a people that have become closer than family, because when you bleed together, kill together, and die together, you kinda become tighter than even your own brother... not to mention the best adrenaline rush you will ever find, because once you get into a few good firefights, nothing stateside just seems exciting anymore... lol

I sent Leupold an Email. Also, is there some list of sponsors somewhere, might as well check with them of course.

I might stop by USO in Brea when I go visit my brother who lives down the street (literally) in a couple months (Labor day) to see what they can do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AnthonyL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a list of reticles that meet your description (tactical milrad hash).

Leupold TMR
Nightforce MLR & MLR2
S&B P4 & P4F

..... </div></div>

Out of this list I'd pick the S&B first, but since it runs well over 3K, I think it's probably out of the game.

The Vortex reticle does seem good also. Fine lines for longer/smaller targets and the plus to be able to switch illumination on, if required in dark backgrounds.

Just my 2 cents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whatever you do, don't search. Even though this question has been asked hundreds of times I know your question is different. </div></div>

Well played sir.

As to an opinion, I prefer the US Optics MPR. About half the guys I shoot with prefer the GAP mil reticle.

In your price range new, I'd try the SWFA SS 5-20. Their reticle is nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattsnuked</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Vortex Razor, enough said.</div></div>

Funny...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rosie Palma</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattsnuked</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Vortex Razor, enough said.</div></div>

Funny... </div></div>

I have heard mixed reviews regarding Vortex... Some have had good experiences, some have had major issues....

I know with Leupold Their discount could land me a scope for right around 5-10% above govt contract on certain scopes, and 20% above cost on others (roughly). The lenses, tubes, and reticles are the most expensive components of any scope, as they require high degrees of precision and quality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joseph Z</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AnthonyL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a list of reticles that meet your description (tactical milrad hash).

Leupold TMR
Nightforce MLR & MLR2
S&B P4 & P4F

..... </div></div>

Out of this list I'd pick the S&B first, but since it runs well over 3K, I think it's probably out of the game.

The Vortex reticle does seem good also. Fine lines for longer/smaller targets and the plus to be able to switch illumination on, if required in dark backgrounds.

Just my 2 cents. </div></div>

I would love to be able to pick up a S&B or Zeiss scope, however they don't really have a good military discount program (they do have a great LEO discount however...) and even their wholesale prices are comparable to retail Leupold scopes.

I am going to see if I can arrange a visit to the USO shop in Brea, when I am in the area to visit my brother around Labor day. I grew up out there and know exactly where they are as well, remember driving by it every day when I worked in Fullerton. My brother also now lives within walking distance... lol