• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Reticles: thru scope pics! ZCO, TT, NF, S&B, Minox, Horus, Steiner, Kahles, March, Vortex, and More!

Squibbler

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2014
Anyone able to post real life pics of these reticles thru the scope? Trying to find out which my eye prefers. Post what ya got. Thank you!

Edit: Anything you want posted let me know, will edit in. Otherwise if you have better pics or illuminated pics of a certain reticle posted, send them my way.
Currently:
Tree reticles-- Post #8
Traditional reticles-- Post #9
Horus reticles--Post #11
More reticle pics on following pages of thread

Last edited:
I wish I could help you, but I do not have the pictures. I have seen all three in a scope and I really prefer MPCT2 and Gen3 XR to the Mil-XT. Mil-XT is a big improvement over the Horus mesh, but I still found the center a little too busy and the tree extending down too far.

ILya

This is my take on them:

Mil-xt: extremely similar to h59, but a bit less clutter. .05 center dot. If you like the .05 size and something like an h59, this is your baby.

Gen3xr: if you like dots on whole mils and a larger center dot (.075), it’s perfect.

Mpct2: skmr3 perfected. Is .036 (or .035, I can’t remember off the top of my head), and has a lot of room on the center as the tree doesn’t start until 2mil. Also has a lot of open room in the tree.

All three are very nice, but IMO, very different as far as how they will appeal to your eyes and brain.

Reactions: Squibbler
Thanks to @Lowlight, @NoLegs24, @NGCSUGrad09 , @rydah, @Danrobberg, @Dthomas3523, @D_TROS , @hic28 @gconnoyer , @MarkLeupold , @arm017 , @lancetkenyon @J-Fonz for posting these pictures. I magnified them and posting them side by side for simultaneous viewing. As I get more pics will edit post.

Tree Reticles

Kahles SKMR3

-----------------------

Minox MR4

-------------------

Nightforce Mil XT

-------------------------

Schmidt & Bender GR2ID "Grid" Competition

---------------------------

Steiner SCR3

------------------------

Tangent Theta Gen 2 XR

Tangent Theta Gen 3 XR

----------------

Vortex EBR-7C

----------------

Zero Compromise MPCT2

Last edited:
Traditional Style Reticles

Kahles SKMR

-----------------------------

March FML-1

---------------------------

Nightforce Mil C

Nightforce MOAR

----------------------

S&B H2CMR

S&B PM2 LRR-Mil

-----------------------
Zero Compromise MPCT1

Last edited:
So what’s the logic, for instance in the ZCO MPCT2, of varying along the X-axis the .2 milhash stadia between having [every .2 on the bottom and .5 on the top] to [.2 & .8 on the bottom and .4 & .6 on the top] as shown in the Christmas tree portion of the reticle?

So what’s the logic, for instance in the ZCO MPCT2, of varying along the X-axis the .2 milhash stadia between having [every .2 on the bottom and .5 on the top] to [.2 & .8 on the bottom and .4 & .6 on the top] as shown in the Christmas tree portion of the reticle?

My understanding is for quicker reference points. The .5 mil reference point in your main work zone on horizontal line with dialing. And then quick .2 mil references for holdovers on the tree.
But let's bring in an official response... @gebhardt02

Last edited:
The 0.5 mil mark is only within the first mil both left and right. This was for those shooters that like a super fast 0.5 mil hold reference. The lower portion within that first mil has increasing line lengths to help draw your eye to the center.

Also, by having both 0.2 mil marks as well as the single 0.5 mil you can do all your reticle ranging for width (easy to see a 0.1 mil breakdown) right in the center of the FOV, instead of looking out to the 4-5 mil.

Everywhere else is all 0.2 mil marks.

In addition to what was posted above, the above and below hashes in the tree allow for more perceived (or real, I dunno) FOV within the tree.

Look the mpct2 vs my upgraded skmr3 design below. While logically I like the consistency of the same format throughout, I perceive mpct2 to be “cleaner.”

F292EA3A-E55C-4DF1-9A34-938039583C02.jpeg

For a guy like me who doesn’t generally like a tree reticle but am making the move, I have to say the MPCT2 is about damn perfect. It’s very clean and starting the tree at 2mil really cleans up the reticle.

The Kahles SKMR3 is really nice looking too. A bit basic compared to the MPCT2 but incredibly clean

The Gen3xr looks nice, it may be unpopular but I don’t like Mil dot.

MPCT2 gets my vote for sure.

Squibbler, any chance you can add the new Vortex EBR-7C reticle, once we get a good through-scope pic?
There's also the Minox MR4.
So far, my favorite is also the ZCO reticles.
Thanks for putting all these together.

Last edited:
Squibbler, any chance you can add the Vortex EBR-2C reticle, once we get a good through-scope pic?

Will do.... If by chance you find any good thru scope pics direct me to them, and I will add!

Reactions: StrayDog
Squibbler, any chance you can add the Vortex EBR-2C reticle, once we get a good through-scope pic?

Would the EBR-7C not be a slightly better comparison?

Whoops! Good catch boomslang. Edited for accuracy--the new one in the RzrII with the dot and holds from the AMG

Reactions: boomslang
Skmr3 and gen2xr

Attachments

• B1C06329-C4D9-45D6-9255-3B23C872E561.jpeg
    B1C06329-C4D9-45D6-9255-3B23C872E561.jpeg
    767 KB · Views: 282
  • D6ACBA32-126D-4B3E-905B-FD93480B0806.jpeg
    D6ACBA32-126D-4B3E-905B-FD93480B0806.jpeg
    195.1 KB · Views: 297
  • 149E91C8-FC00-4C4B-8CCD-6CB7F1F9AA93.jpeg
    149E91C8-FC00-4C4B-8CCD-6CB7F1F9AA93.jpeg
    824.7 KB · Views: 274
  • 81F80116-D630-4D37-89F7-9440EFCEF6E8.jpeg
    81F80116-D630-4D37-89F7-9440EFCEF6E8.jpeg
    310.9 KB · Views: 291
K, boys. Decided to make this a sticky worthy thread of thru scope pics of reticles. Keep sending me pics of what you want posted and I'll keep editing them in as my schedule allows. Going to try and organize it for ease of viewing.

Reactions: LG65CM
Interested in the grid reticle from S&B, I’m in the market for a PRS scope and I’m between it and the zcom scop and mil c from nightforce

K, got some more posted. Trying to alphabetize by company name. Also separate tree reticle from standard. Found limitation of only able to have 10 attachments per post.

Good job taking pictures everyone. We used to have a through the scope thread on the old hide and I believe the scout hide as well. Unfortunately that thread never made the transition to this hide and now its gone. This would be a nice replacement through the scope thread though.

Good job taking pictures everyone. We used to have a through the scope thread on the old hide and I believe the scout hide as well. Unfortunately that thread never made the transition to this hide and now its gone. This would be a nice replacement through the scope thread though.

@koshkin

Have room on your site to make a page where you have a list of reticles, click on it and it shows a page with pictures of said reticle?

I’m still learning/setting up a website. I’ll do it at some point if not.

Seems easier than scrolling through a thread.

@koshkin

Have room on your site to make a page where you have a list of reticles, click on it and it shows a page with pictures of said reticle?

Agree, anyway for ease of comparison and well organized

In addition to what was posted above, the above and below hashes in the tree allow for more perceived (or real, I dunno) FOV within the tree.

Look the mpct2 vs my upgraded skmr3 design below. While logically I like the consistency of the same format throughout, I perceive mpct2 to be “cleaner.”

View attachment 7027966
Im comparing all the ret and dnt you think .5 mil hash for 1 mil subten elevetion would've been nice for hold over for the mpct2?

@koshkin

Sure. I can set-up a page for through the scope pictures quite easily with a link back to this thread.

E-mail me the pictures and I'll put them up. The way I usually do this is upload the pictures to my SmugMug account and from there I can embed them anywhere I want.

What I can do is as follows: send me a picture with the name of the scope, name of the reticle, approximate date when it was taken (month and year is fine) and your name if you want me to add it.

I'll upload it to my SmugMug account and when I embed the picture on the webpage, I will also add a link to where it is on SmugMug in case you want to link it somewhere else in the future.

Naturally, I will retain the picture backup so if something happens to SmugMug, the pictures are not lost.

ILya

Reactions: Dthomas3523
Im comparing all the ret and dnt you think .5 mil hash for 1 mil subten elevetion would've been nice for hold over for the mpct2?

You mean having the tree start at 1 mil and go .5 out?

For me, absolutely not. The point of starting the tree at 2 mil is to give the shooter as much open area as possible to see your shots while at the same time providing a tree.

If you’re holding 1mil, and need any type of wind hold, you should be able to easily use the main windage and the 2 mil windage to bracket.

I’d take having to do that and having a clutter free center over having .5......all day.

It’s one of the things that helps the mpct2 stand out from other reticles. They realize most people dial and the tree is more of a utility.

If you like a grid and hold almost everything, the Schmidt grid reticle or any Horus is the way to go.

Reactions: gebhardt02
If I was forced to find a flaw in the mpct2, it would be no numbers above on the vertical above the main stadia. That’s only if you twisted my arm.

Overall, the mpct1 and mpct2 are the perfect reticles for me, personally speaking.
Do you need another LRR for one of you zcomp :)