• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Retrofitting DI System with a Piston System

Re: Retrofitting DI System with a Piston System

The Adams Arms piston conversion has been around for a few years and has been getting great reviews. I ran one on a RRA for a while, running a POF now which uses a piston system of similar design. You can notice a major difference in how much less fouling is introduced into the receiver/bolt so reliability is improved. I did notice a very slight decrease in accuracy going to the piston system vs DI on the same rifle, it was overlooked due to the improved funcion of the rifle.

Kirk R

not that theres really anything wrong with them...but i dont see the point. the DI system is inharently more accurate, what the rifle system was desgined for, and is perfectly reliable as is. I'v run 1500rounds of tula through my patrol rifle in a day with no malfunctions.

I agree with overkill. Why? How much more reliable can a rifle be that will run 1200 rounds without a cleaning and never miss a beat. I have ran my DI Colt guns hard in LE training without any issues.

Piston AR - gimmick to sell more guns. Don't do it.

Piston AR = waterbed...remember in the 80's there was a water bed store on every corner?

Okay. You guys have talked me out of it.

BTW; I had a water bed in the 80's... ;-)

shoot with a suppressor for a few hundred rounds with a DI system and let me know how your gun looks. I agree with the guys above that a piston system on a non suppressed gun is pretty much a waste of time but if you run a suppressor they are so much cleaner than a DI system.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">shoot with a suppressor for a few hundred rounds with a DI system and let me know how your gun looks. I agree with the guys above that a piston system on a non suppressed gun is pretty much a waste of time but if you run a suppressor they are so much cleaner than a DI system. </div></div>

Agreed - except that - the piston system is MUCH louder to the shooter's ear than the DI system - in my opinion. With the piston system, gas is vented at the gas block which is right in front of the shooter's face. With the DI system, the gas is vented out the right side of the bolt carrier. To the shooter, the piston sounds much louder when suppressed.

I use the piston and DI setups in the opposite way of the above poster. On an M16 that gets lots of hard use, the piston system is wonderful. The chamber and barrel stay cool and everything is clean. But when I want to shoot suppressed semi-auto, I use the DI system. Sure, it gets really dirty, but it's quiet too. And I don't shoot near as many rounds suppressed as I do full-auto.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: colt933</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">shoot with a suppressor for a few hundred rounds with a DI system and let me know how your gun looks. I agree with the guys above that a piston system on a non suppressed gun is pretty much a waste of time but if you run a suppressor they are so much cleaner than a DI system. </div></div>

Agreed - except that - the piston system is MUCH louder to the shooter's ear than the DI system - in my opinion. With the piston system, gas is vented at the gas block which is right in front of the shooter's face. With the DI system, the gas is vented out the right side of the bolt carrier. To the shooter, the piston sounds much louder when suppressed.

I use the piston and DI setups in the opposite way of the above poster. On an M16 that gets lots of hard use, the piston system is wonderful. The chamber and barrel stay cool and everything is clean. But when I want to shoot suppressed semi-auto, I use the DI system. Sure, it gets really dirty, but it's quiet too. And I don't shoot near as many rounds suppressed as I do full-auto.</div></div>

very good point, I just hate how dirty it gets after a few hundred rounds with DI and a suppressor

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">shoot with a suppressor for a few hundred rounds with a DI system and let me know how your gun looks.</div></div>

<---- Shoots a suppressor on DI M4 as my duty rifle.

It gets filthy at the end of a training day. A quick blast with some brake cleaner and an air hose does the trick.

I ain't looking for pretty. Just reliable. DI works fine for that.