• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Retumbo Availability?

vh20

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2012
I'm sitting on at least two unopened 8-pounders, so I'm good for now and haven't been paying attention to it lately. I'm currently shooting Ramshot Magnum in my 338NM but I started thinking of working up a new load with Retumbo and I remembered how hard it was to get during the Great Shortages of the last Administration. I figured there wouldn't be any problems now, but I've been keeping an eye out for it and haven't seen an 8-pounder for sale anywhere in the last couple months I've thought to look for it. So, to you guys who are still shooting it regularly, is it still that hard to come by? I expected they would have fixed all the supply issues from the past. I know it is manufactured and imported from Australia and when the supply runs out here there isn't anymore until the next shipment arrives - is that where we are now? I ask because I haven't seen anyone else mention anything about it.
Thanks

I saw some at my LGS. I too stocked up on it for my .338LM during the last pResident. On another note, how is that Ramshot working in your NM? Im shooting 215 berger ammo in mine, and about to try some 230s in my AI. The amoo shoots like a dream, so I am trying to figure out what powder is in it. Its spherical, like I guess Ramshot is.

I use Retumbo in every caliber I load. I stocked up last summer with 40#. I just broke open my last 8 pounder the other day. I'm starting to get concerned!! These cheytacs eat it like nobody's business! Hopefully it comes back in stock soon or I'm in trouble.

I saw some at my LGS. I too stocked up on it for my .338LM during the last pResident. On another note, how is that Ramshot working in your NM? Im shooting 215 berger ammo in mine, and about to try some 230s in my AI. The amoo shoots like a dream, so I am trying to figure out what powder is in it. Its spherical, like I guess Ramshot is.

I believe you are talking about a 300 Norma and I'm shooting 338 Norma. That said, the Ramshot is very accurate and has good velocity in the 338, but I'm struggling with getting a decent SD and it's more temperature sensitive. I believe I'll lose a bit of velocity with the Retumbo, but if I can retain the accuracy while improving the SD and temp sensitivity it will be a worthwhile trade. At 1000 or less the Ramshot is money, but I only shoot at 1000 to gauge my wind call, then I move out farther almost immediately and the SD begins to show up. Yes, Ramshot Magnum is spherical.

I use Retumbo in every caliber I load. I stocked up last summer with 40#. I just broke open my last 8 pounder the other day. I'm starting to get concerned!! These cheytacs eat it like nobody's business! Hopefully it comes back in stock soon or I'm in trouble.

Yep, even the 338 eats 90gr a pop. I can shoot a while on what I have on hand but part of my figuring whether or not to work up a Retumbo load is whether or not you can still get it. I hadn't realized it was scarce again. How long has this been the case?

Just started reloading for the 338 LM using H1000. No Retumbo at the LGS. Going to share an 8lb keg of the new Ramshot LRT with a buddy who's also got a 338. Supposedly, comparable to Retumbo/RL 33. I've read positives/negatives about it, so we'll see.

I'm sitting on at least two unopened 8-pounders, so I'm good for now and haven't been paying attention to it lately. I'm currently shooting Ramshot Magnum in my 338NM but I started thinking of working up a new load with Retumbo and I remembered how hard it was to get during the Great Shortages of the last Administration. I figured there wouldn't be any problems now, but I've been keeping an eye out for it and haven't seen an 8-pounder for sale anywhere in the last couple months I've thought to look for it. So, to you guys who are still shooting it regularly, is it still that hard to come by? I expected they would have fixed all the supply issues from the past. I know it is manufactured and imported from Australia and when the supply runs out here there isn't anymore until the next shipment arrives - is that where we are now? I ask because I haven't seen anyone else mention anything about it.
Thanks
On a side note... WC857 powder is shockingly similar in appearance and performance to Magnum... speaking from experience and other information I've accumulated through assorted phone calls and emails.

Last edited:
On a side note... WC857 powder is shockingly similar in appearance and performance to Magnum... speaking from experience and other information I've accumulated through assorted phone calls and emails.
Any data from reloads, calibers and velocities?