• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Retumbo available anywhere?

Slava Ukraini

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2012
Im really having trouble finding 338 Norma Mag Match Ammo, so I thought I’d just make my own…but damn if I can’t find Retumbo anywhere…I can find H1000 but i’m not sure I’d get the speeds for 300gr Berger OTMs

Anyone know what’s up with this powder unicorn?

The government is buying up every kernel for the new sniper rifles for the Army. N570 has been available and is a good alternative

Reactions: nikonNUT
It has been about 55 to 57 weeks since the last time it was available from the online dealers listed on sites like ShootingBot and AmmoSeek.

What rifles is the army using Retumbo for and why all the demand and what’s the source of this information?

The new Precision Sniper Rifles use RETUMBO exclusively right now. Barrett with their MRAD won the contract. They use .308, 300 Norma and 338 Norma mag. I personally spoke to the engineer and PM that are in charge of the project from the Army Acquisition side and they stated “RETUMBOs ability to remain stable at any temperature and keep the same burn rate makes it perfect”, that’s why they order the ammo using it. The Army actually contracts for SLIGHTLY tweaked RETUMBO but it is 99% identical to the off the shelf stuff.

They have to buy enough for training and war stocks so we are talking millions of rounds.

Don’t forget Retumbo comes from Australia and their lockdowns couldn’t have helped from a production standpoint.

The new Precision Sniper Rifles use RETUMBO exclusively right now. Barrett with their MRAD won the contract. They use .308, 300 Norma and 338 Norma mag. I personally spoke to the engineer and PM that are in charge of the project from the Army Acquisition side and they stated “RETUMBOs ability to remain stable at any temperature and keep the same burn rate makes it perfect”, that’s why they order the ammo using it. The Army actually contracts for SLIGHTLY tweaked RETUMBO but it is 99% identical to the off the shelf stuff.

They have to buy enough for training and war stocks so we are talking millions of rounds.

Don't forget the new light weight medium machine gun.
Any idea if it’s a temperature stable?
It's not. Use it in my .338LM. That said it meters like a dream and isn't too dirty.

Reactions: KYAggie
Im really having trouble finding 338 Norma Mag Match Ammo, so I thought I’d just make my own…but damn if I can’t find Retumbo anywhere…I can find H1000 but i’m not sure I’d get the speeds for 300gr Berger OTMs

Anyone know what’s up with this powder unicorn?
oldnewguy just posted he has some for sale.

Years ago, I used Ramshot Hunter and other grades. They were marked as temp stable. They may have been, but I don't think it was an outstanding capacity on their part. All temperature variability is, well, 'variable'. Ramshot page on Hodgdon page does not reference temp stability.

LRT is one of the very slowest powders, (than H1000), but it meters very well (ball powder), and I depend on charge maintenance to avoid pressure spikes. I intend to use it for my 28" 260 and 140's (140+?), and am not looking for peak velocities. I think I can build a compressed charge that is not 'peaky' enough to spike so badly.My Primary goal with the 260 is long bore life. Also, I live at 4350 ft ASL, and atmo drag is not so much of an issue (85% of Sea Level density altitude), so I get a little bonus.

I use supplemental O2 for myself. BTW; Medical folks have assured me it's OK with shooting (with smokeless) as long as I don't get really stupid about it.

Greg

PS - Hodgdon/Ramshot/Win/V-V, etc. burn rate data, etc., is available at the bottom of the Hodgdon home page under "Reference Data". Ramshot LRT Page. O/O stock at the moment. IMHO, worth some wait.

PPS - LRT is faster than H50BMC, and slower than H-10000, or right in between V-V N568 and V-V N570.

Last edited:
Hodgdon store has Retumbo available in 1-lbers with 5-lb max, of course you're going to pay dearly for it... I have an 8 pounder yet so will wait and see if they get it out in the wild for somewhat reasonable price. But if I didn't have it, I'd jump on it.

Reactions: Matt Moxness
I buy all my powder thru Hodgdon. They are honest. Speer is pretty good, too, but are O/O stock lots. In the interim, I use RMR for bullets. I shop around a lot for primers, and do a lot of prep on one-time (prepped?) bulk brass.

Last edited:
A bit off the subject, and I'll start a new thread if there's any interest...

But what in the world does "RETUMBO" even mean?

The name alone conjures up visions of deepest, darkest Africa or something... Maybe that's the idea.

Anyway, carry on.

Mike

Reactions: Chargerguy
Reactions: Matt Moxness