• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Return to zero mounting/swapping; QD needed or just good rings and a torque wrench?

Joeymac

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2019
Say I want to set a rifle up for use with a pair of scopes, interchangeably...

Am I pretty much relegated to be using QD Rings that advertise return to zero? Because the only rings out there I've found are Warne, Talley and Larue. I really like the LaRue LT719 ones (light and horizontally split and repeatable) but $260 is a bit pricey considering I plan to fit 2 scopes, here. I've had Warne QD Maxima rings, but they're a bit of a hassle and I don't really want heavy steel. The Talleys look OK, but really that much different than the Warnes other than being alloy. I haven't found any 30mm one piece mounts low enough; pretty sure I need .870-1.00 center height (or .280-410 ring base).

However, can I just use a set of quality precision rings - and as long as I reinstall each scope in the same rail slot with the same torque (using a good wrench) will it return to zero reasonably well (sub MOA RTZ)?

Last edited:
QD rings aren't necessary. If you get quality rings like Nightforce, Seekins/Vortex, Badger Ordnance, etc...you can take the scope off, remount it in the same location with a quality torque tool, and you can reasonably expect the zero to be dead on or fairly close. Quality rings don't need to be lapped either.

Reactions: Rob01
Your on the right track, I think. I have changed to ARC rings over the last couple yrs. In the past I have pulled scopes and later changed my mind so I reinstalled the original. Usually RTZ was very close. I have not taken the time to test but if you process is repeatable, and set up correctly with good components I think you would be GTG. My only concern is how often? The fasteners on mounts being reused and torqued to spec repeatedly would be my concern if swapping all the time.

QD rings aren't necessary. If you get quality rings like Nightforce, Seekins/Vortex, Badger Ordnance, etc...you can take the scope off, remount it in the same location with a quality torque tool, and you can reasonably expect the zero to be dead on or fairly close. Quality rings don't need to be lapped either.

Just quoting this in case anyone missed it.

You don't need to lap your rings, if you are using quality rings and a quality rail lapping rings is no longer necessary.

You can just use normal rings and don't even need a torque wrench.
I've tested a bunch of different rings for return to zero and found everything but Burris XTR rings to return perfectly.

My favorite rings are the NF ultralites due to only having the single screw.
I've swapped scope dozens of times and always have a reliable RTZ, I share some scopes between rifles and have some rifles I use two different scopes on.
Of you remember the offsets for each scope/rifle combination you can switch to your hearts content.

If you have an important shooting match or hunt coming up you can obviously confirm your zero before hand.

Reactions: 1moaoff
Cool. I use a beam style inch-pound torque wrench so it’s pretty darn accurate.

I’m thinking I’ll stick with some Vortex Pro Series rings. 4 screws on the rings, proper recoil lug, 7075 Alloy, printed torque values, nice and streamlined, and usually <$70. Maybe some used Seekins or Vortex Precisions if the right size comes along.

The Vortex Pro Series are pretty nice for the money. I have a couple sets on PST scopes. They work.

Honestly, QD mounts are actually more practical when *not* swapping the optic to different rifles.

You’ll likely need to mess with the tension from rifle to rifle and many times take more time than torquing screws.

I break my entire rifle down to clean. Including removing the barrel. I leave the optic in the rings. Put it all back together. So thats action screws, barrel reinstall, and ring base screws…..

After fouling shots, it’s usually within .2 or so from the last zero.

I have QD on an AR set up for coyotes and what not. I can swap from the day optic to thermal with just the throw levers without tools.

Aside from that I’ve taken guns apart many times and when using quality rings and same torque they return to zero (ish)

I have NF ultralights on my fclass rifle. NF competition on that. I take the scope off for testing other rifles. Set dials back to zero and remount for a match. I’ve proned out in the 1,000 yard line several times without rechecking the zero. Never an issue

I have QD on an AR set up for coyotes and what not. I can swap from the day optic to thermal with just the throw levers without tools.

Aside from that I’ve taken guns apart many times and when using quality rings and same torque they return to zero (ish)

I have NF ultralights on my fclass rifle. NF competition on that. I take the scope off for testing other rifles. Set dials back to zero and remount for a match. I’ve proned out in the 1,000 yard line several times without rechecking the zero. Never an issue
That's exactly what I'm looking to do: day optic and night optic among a few rifles. Each rifle has it's normal day optic and then the night optic has it's saved zero profile for whatever rifle it's going on.

That's exactly what I'm looking to do: day optic and night optic among a few rifles. Each rifle has it's normal day optic and then the night optic has it's saved zero profile for whatever rifle it's going on.
ADF7B765-0395-48AD-A8E6-97F8517E57FF.jpeg
0F747B3A-663E-499A-B286-66C9712DBFD9.jpeg
9BD9DAD0-F5AA-4D6E-8148-21A6C7B3B3C8.jpeg