• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Returned Form 1 Supressor - Help

vvillium3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2010
Stevensville, MI
Hello All,

Had my form 1 suppressor returned for incomplete/inaccurate firearm description with section 4a highlighted (name and location of original manufacturer). I filed under a NFA trust, and entered the name of my trust and address in this section.

It appears to me that I filled this out correctly by the description and other examples. Any ideas what I did this wrong? Seems an odd reason to return the form.

Thanks,
Jason

Re: Returned Form 1 Supressor - Help

Original manufacturer would be the company that made the suppressor.

Section 3b is where the trusts name and address goes.

Since this is a form 1, the application to make the supressor. I would be the manufacturer, correct? Now if it was for a SBR, you are correct, this is where the original manufacturer would go. Maybe I'm missing something?

Per note 2i I would enter my info in 4a, and enter my assigned serial number in 4g. I'm stuck, and dread having to call them for help

Can you actually make a suppressor? Because that is out of my engineering wheelhouse. I misunderstood and thought you bought a suppressor. But, if you did make it, then I guess as long as you put your trust name and not your individual name it should be right. Im thinking you will have to call and find out what specifically they want.

Of coarse you can build a suppressor.

Op, I have a form 1 in process on a trust as well. When I filled in manf info it was
Xxxxxx x xxxxxx revocable living trust
City, state.

I'm not sure what you put. How exactly did you fill it out? When did you send your forms and pending date?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MisterFistHer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you actually make a suppressor? Because that is out of my engineering wheelhouse. I misunderstood and thought you bought a suppressor. But, if you did make it, then I guess as long as you put your trust name and not your individual name it should be right. Im thinking you will have to call and find out what specifically they want. </div></div>

Yes, you can actually make a suppressor, after the approved Form1 comes back though.

I don't see anything wrong with the situation. I think you will have to call the ATF for clarification.

This is odd.

Jason -
Call your examiner. I've had forms returned to my dealer where they said addresses weren't correct or other small items. When we reviewed them, they were actually correct. Seems like the examiner assistants are making lots of errors like this.

The assistant is probably thinking that you;re making SBR from an existing lower, not that you're actually making your own suppressor.

I know you "can" build a suppressor if so mechanically inclined. I build GREAT things out of duct tape...just not metal. I was making sure that was in fact what he did.

And to build on StalkingRhino's point, when I built my SBS I had to send all the plans and dimensions and then wait until form returned to actually build it. Guess more info is needed as to what Jason C did.

Thanks guys for all your input. Looks like I will have to call in as suggested. Unfortunately I have filled it out as every has said here and hopefully they have made the error.

I cant remember the exact date I sent it in, but the day I signed it was the 27th of July. My checked cashed a couple weeks later, and get this in the mail on Friday. Haven't tracked it at all as I have tried to forget about the wait time.

Thank you all again

You don't submit plans to the batfe to build a suppressor. All you submit is the length and caliber. You seemed to not know you can build a suppressor by your first response sorry if I confused it with inability.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys for all your input. Looks like I will have to call in as suggested. Unfortunately I have filled it out as every has said here and hopefully they have made the error.

I cant remember the exact date I sent it in, but the day I signed it was the 27th of July. My checked cashed a couple weeks later, and get this in the mail on Friday. Haven't tracked it at all as I have tried to forget about the wait time.

Thank you all again </div></div>

Hmmmm..must be on their end then. That's the way I filled mine out so will see if I get kicked back too.

Mister,

All I have read suggest you do not have to send in designs. As long as you fill out the caliber and the overall length in the 4th section, all will be okay. If they need drawings I can supply without issue, but this extra delay is killing me. Have my baffle stamping press all ready to go and ready to "get my can on!"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killswitch Engage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You don't submit plans to the batfe to build a suppressor. All you submit is the length and caliber. You seemed to not know you can build a suppressor by your first response sorry if I confused it with inability.
</div></div>

I do NOT know how to build a suppressor. I just buy them and turn in the form 4. The SBS I was referring to is a Short Barreled Shotgun which you do have to submit dimensions for. Was not trying to stir shit... only trying to clarify.

They don't require drawings for suppressors and since they don't I damn sure wouldn't send them any. You may change it during the build process.

The "design" mister is probably talking about is the length of the barrel and overall length of the SBS.

They require nothing more but if you volunteer it they will file it away accordingly for 'future purposes'

A little update for everyone. This was an error on the examiners side, as she was unaware what I was trying to accomplish with my form!!!! So she highlighted this section and assumed I would call to discuss and straighten out.

Once I discussed that I was making my own suppressor to her, she seemed to understand. She must have been a new examiner, so at least that is a sign that they are upping their staff. Hopefully the turnaround will be quick and I can get to building this puppy.

Thanks again for your input,
Jason

When did you send in your form 1?

That's good news I guess!!! Hopefully you get it turned around quick!

I want to and can make one, so all I need is the #1 form for making my own suppressors, I looked at the ATF site and got no answers.

I take it the wait is just as long as buying one ????