• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Reusing a factory Rem 700 recoil lug?

SuperSeal110

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2005
Michigan
Any reason not to use a factory remington 700 recoil lug take off?

This will be used on a .223ai.

Thoughts/opinions Please.

Re: Reusing a factory Rem 700 recoil lug?

ideally I'd spend the extra $30 and buy a badger lug.

If you have it far enough apart to make the question logical, it pays to spend the few additional bucks for a better part. Factory parts are the most cost-effective (read: cheapest) parts capable of doing the specific job, so once you've got yourself in a position to replace one, it almost always works better to make the additional investment.

IMHO, the most labor-intensive part is the barrel, so that's where I'd be putting my primary investment, because where the labor is, the cost cutting gets most intensely applied on factory products.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuperSeal110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any reason not to use a factory remington 700 recoil lug take off?

This will be used on a .223ai.

Thoughts/opinions Please.

</div></div>

No problem, so long as its surface ground. Alot of my rifles have surface ground factory lugs. Like SDWhirlwind said measure it a few places and if its a turd toss it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They seem to have worked for a long time on USMC rifles. </div></div>

Thats true!

I reused my factory recoil lug recently. Just ground the face to make sure everything was even after truing the action. I have experienced no problems in using them over.