• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Reusing a previously bedded stock

Barney88PDC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2009
Ft.Worth, TX
If you buy a stock that has been bedded for say a 700. How effective is it if you put a different barreled action in it. Now I know there can be variables and depending on how close action 2 is to action 1 but in general. Will it work well or should it be rebedded?

I guess for tighter tolerance actions swapping may be more effective?

What is the general concensus?

Re: Reusing a previously bedded stock

Always rebed. Make sure to remove enough of the old bedding material to get a good stress free fit and make sure your new bedding material is compatible with the old. I just can't think of single situation where a previously bedded stock precisely fits a different action..

I'd try it first to see how it shoots.

I dropped an action in a return stock without re-bedding it and it shoots incredibly well.

Maybe I just got lucky.

I had the same experience. I bought a barreled action on here. I didn't have a spare stock so I pulled my .308 out of the A5 and dropped the new barreled action in. Went shoot 5 different charge weights and 4 of them shot just under 1/2". The fifth one was in the high 2's. I may have got luck as well hence the question.

Heh, it shoots that well but you were still wondering if you should rebed? The general rule of thumb is yes, unless it shoots amazing already. 1/2 MOA sound pretty darn accurate. It's your choice though.

To clarify, I'd shoot it first as well but if you're after a true stress free bed then i wouldn't depend on a previous bedding job. All that being said, I've bolted a couple into bedding block type stocks and had them shoot extremely well...then skim bedded them later on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hookturnr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To clarify, I'd shoot it first as well but if you're after a true stress free bed then i wouldn't depend on a previous bedding job. All that being said, I've bolted a couple into bedding block type stocks and had them shoot extremely well...then skim bedded them later on. </div></div>

Did you notice any improvement in accuracy after bedding?

Don't mean to jack the thread but I didn't think my question was significant enough to make a thread of my own.. If you bed a rifle and pull the action out of the stock and see a couple of small air pockets where bedding compound did not actually make contact with, is it ok to simply add more of the compound the next day and repeat the bedding process, or should I grind it all away and start over again?

(sorry for the random question, I'm a noob..)

It will be hard to get the right amount to fill the void. If it isn't in a spot around the recoil lug or for a customer, you could leave them. They won't effect anything. If it is for a customer and you are going for looks, I would take it all down and re-bed.

Next time, apply compound to the action too before you put it in the stock.

Wasn't doing it for anybody but myself. I appreciate the info. Again, my apologies for taking away from the OP's question.

When swapping out identical actions, does re-bedding help? Say I'm going from a Rem 700 with a .260 barrel to a Rem 700 .308 SPS Tactical AAC-SD barrel. With both barrels mounted on the identical factory actions (for a given value of 'identical', within manufacturing tolerances), would a re-bedding be required?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sentry1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When swapping out identical actions, does re-bedding help? Say I'm going from a Rem 700 with a .260 barrel to a Rem 700 .308 SPS Tactical AAC-SD barrel. With both barrels mounted on the identical factory actions (for a given value of 'identical', within manufacturing tolerances), would a re-bedding be required? </div></div>

No two Remington actions are identical.
The general recommendation is to re-bed.

Yea, remove .020 or so and re bed, a stock that has been bedded for another action could put torque on the action thus being worse off than a non bedded stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd try it first to see how it shoots.

I dropped an action in a return stock without re-bedding it and it shoots incredibly well.

Maybe I just got lucky. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sentry1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When swapping out identical actions, does re-bedding help? Say I'm going from a Rem 700 with a .260 barrel to a Rem 700 .308 SPS Tactical AAC-SD barrel. With both barrels mounted on the identical factory actions (for a given value of 'identical', within manufacturing tolerances), would a re-bedding be required? </div></div>

I would remove any contact area under the barrel and see how it shoots.