• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reusing decapped primers

Backcountryj.laf

Private
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2021
Alberta Canada
I rebarrelled my 300prc and I have around 100 rounds I’m disassembling. Normally I’d just throw the primers away and start over but with them being so difficult to find right now I’m considering re using them. Anyone have any experience with this? Worth doing or just throw them out and bite the bullet.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Why would you throw them out?

Disassemble, pop them out then reinstall when ready. I’ve disassembled hundreds if not thousands of rounds over the years and reused the unspent primers - never had any problems.

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
I had a 100 round lott that I screwed up the headspace for a new barrel. (Forgot) all of a sudden would not chamber. Arg

Popped them reworked brass and reused them. Had 1 FTF

I was supprised.

One piece of advise, remember to clean out other spent primers from your collection devise first. Lol

Reactions: TommyD11730
Reuse them, I've never had a problem with using decapped primers. They seem to still have the same MV and POI as new ones.

Remove the decapping pin from your die before you resize them. Primers stay in place.
Easy peasy
That would work if you make sure not to get lube in the case .

Then run a mandrell to set neck tension.

I've have come to this crossroad myself CCi Br-2 primer measures .210 of an inch as well as a decapped one. If you measure in mm a virgin Br-2 primer measures 5.35 mm and a decapped ones measures 5.33 mm. " a taste smaller" I'm going to take NN8734 lead, load up 4 or 5 and try it.

while I only reloaded 15 primers so far and re shot them the rounds did go off and the bullets did hit the target as intended the numbers were not great . I know far too little about what I was doing for it to be fun you can reuse primers . I am keeping all the once fired primers just in case I need to try and remake them again if need be . Rather than just waste them by trashing them all . It wasn't that hard to do just very tedious and slow for me as it's tiny and I don't have the greatest finger dexterity as well as everything I did was guessing I would much rather it be a dud than over pack them and see if it blows up . I used one of the toy paper snap things split in half and a tiny amount of ramshot in between it made a nice little spark on practice it was enough to ignite powder , so I just repeated the process then tried at the range . best of luck to you if you do try it or if you decide not to I just had to find out for my self if it could work or it was just bs .

I've re-used hundreds of decapped primers over the last 35+ yrs of reloading. No problems whatsoever and performance was the same as new primers AS FAR AS I COULD TELL. I've never done any in-depth testing to see if accuracy or consistency suffered because I never saw the need for it. Y'all act like a bunch of Covidians with all this useless hand-wringing and worry. ;)

I sheepishly reused some.

No problems with them.

I reuse. i keep them separate and mark my notes for those loads as using reclaimed primers. The same as bullets, powder etc. I have not noticed a difference.