• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Review: Bushnell HDMR

Cuban Croc

Petty Officer Third Class
Minuteman
May 11, 2005
Dallas, Texas
3.5-21x50mm Non-Illuminated Rifle Scope

2c3bc3a0.jpg

c18edfed.jpg

Love the scope...but there are a couple of gripes:

1. The elevation does not bottom out. It just spins. I'd have to see if this affects my zero when I go shoot again.

2. When you zero the scope...the elevation lines are where they are. I don't know the correct way to state this. So what I am going to do is take a sharpie and black out the lines underneath my zero. If anyone has any better ideas let me know.

3. The locking elevation knob does not lock into place in the up position. There is a vacuum due to the o-ring that pulls the knob back down. I would have like for the knob to have a locking up position. (When you dial and take your hands off of the knob and then reach to adjust your elevation...then you will have to pull the knob up a little to turn your elevation and/or it feels like you have continue to hold the knob up to turn the elevation).

4. Last, 5 mils per turn is a little of a whoop.

Pros:

1. Horus

2. Length of the scope.

3. Construction of the scope.

4. Tracking was on the money!

5. Clarity of the glass.

For those that don't like the Horus. It has its purpose.

Moving Chaos or any other multiple engagements = Horus.

Known distances = Dial

Will post groups at a later time...really not necessary...it is money.

-Al

Re: Review: Bushnell HDMR

for point #3 - did your's fall right away? or while you were shooting? Mine actually stay up when i pull them up. I haven't shot it yet, was going last sunday but couldn't get to the range with it.

I'm hoping to go this weekend. Good news about the tracking! I too noticed that when you get to either end, it starts getting harder to turn the last few clicks. I didn't want to stress or push it so i didn't go all the way to stop - if there is a stop.

adam,

i am not a glass expert.

i will tell you that i hate numbers on parallax.

from my observation it was fine.

i put it on 21x and adjusted my parallax by sight and it was pretty clear.

i have had USO, Lepy, and and IOR. the clarity at 21x was fine IMO.

i would like to hear if anyone else has had an issue at 21x...but mine was fine.

shot a five shot group at it was basically one "big" ragged hole. I will post pictures later.

i only have a 200 yard range at my house. I will have to venture to Tac-Pro and stretch it out a little.

Yeah - i think that happened to me too when i was trying to count the total windage and elevation. I remember having to hold it out and turn a little otherwise it would start to hit the locking.

Good to hear about this optic...mine should be here by Thursday.

Mine is clear on 21 power but the eye relief is not as forgiving at that power.

My knob falls a little also (vacuum) but I think it is still technically in the up position because mine adjusts in the "lower" up position.

I shot the scope this week end. Out of the box it was 2mils low and 2mils left POI. I dialed two up, two over and it was dead nut zero.

held over at 4,6,8,& 1K then dialed the same money every time and back down to 100 gtg!

I would be nice if the revolution lines were all different colors but I can do that my self.

kt

Note: This would be the least of my concerns. Not really even a concern...more of a thought.

Since this scope is made for a military application...I'd like to see an ARD made for this scope instead of a sunshade.

Thamks for the write-up Croc. In regards to the locking turret, there are some existing patents that I am aware of that your desire would conflict with.

We are working on the more mils per revolution, but one of the fallouts of that is lack of a tactile click between mils. We are evaluating this right now.

Differentiating the elevation lines on the turret post by color is a good idea, I'll have to see if I can get that incorporated.

Horus was tasked with the ARD component of this scope, I haven't heard anything out of them on it yet though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have 4 of these scopes and my only gripe is that they are just a small bit hazzy at 21X, other than that they rock </div></div>
4? You're a lucky man Adam. I'm still working on getting my first!

I light of presence of the Horus reticle, aren't the complaints about the knobs/zero-stop/markings somewhat inconsequential?

I just did a quick search but couldn't find it, how much does it cost?

Scout,

Great question. This is just my opinion and something discussed w/singleshot85.

Let's use the example a person is taking a 1000 yard shot and uses the Horus reticle. That person will be holding on let's just say ...the 10 mil line. If he/she misses the shot it would be harder to follow the shot up because he/she is not using the full view of the glass.

example #2: Dial a grand. Miss the shot but because the full view that person saw where the shot impacted an then could use the horus reticle to make the adjustment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SingleShot85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would be nice if the revolution lines were all different colors but I can do that my self. </div></div>

Note: I don't think color coding the lines is the fix. Just saying. I believe that would be a waste of Bushnell's time in R&D and money. Still thinking about a fix. Not even a scope guru...just like participating.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I light of presence of the Horus reticle, aren't the complaints about the knobs/zero-stop/markings somewhat inconsequential? </div></div>

That is the same argument that Horus will give you if you call suggesting something about how the knobs work.....bad

You must have functioning adjustment knobs and internals relying solely on the reticle in not practical.

Grendel 6.5 The only thing I'd really change on the scope is; swapping the slot to a hex/allen head on the turret caps.

Do the knobs function properly and the scope track?

We are researching a 2nd revolution visual indicator. R&D stages now, not sure on timeline. The coin slot on top was a military request. It eliminates the need to carry a special allen wrench or anything...just need a coin or any flat-bladed device to remove the turret.

Scout, the scope tracks perfectly and the mil increments have a good positve feel to them.

The scope rocks.

When I purchased the scope. I told Bushnell that I would give them positive and negative feedback on the scope.

I plan on playing w/the scope more this afternood after I get off of work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grendel 6.5</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> We are working on the more mils per revolution, but one of the fallouts of that is lack of a tactile click between mils. We are evaluating this right now. </div></div>

Would not a larger diameter, flatter elevation knob (not taller) allow for more mils per revolution? I was thinking more on the line of the EREK knob.

Now, according to singleshot85....his S&B elevation knob is smaller and has more elevation than 5 mils per turn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SingleShot85</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The only thing I'd really change on the scope is; swapping the slot to a hex/allen head on the turret caps. </div></div>

Torx T25 would be nice.

The coin is a little old school.

While I don't see haze at high power, I do see some tunneling at it's lowest setting. The black ring returns to normal at 4X.

The locking turret is nice but I'd like to see it snap in place at the top when it's pulled up - it would make the turret elevation lines more reliable. the adjustment mechanism is pretty beefy when you take the knob off. You can see where some of the weight comes from.

The coin turret screw doesn't really bother me. I set my zero and change it really only when my loads change (POI). Whether it's a slot or hex doesn't matter to me.

Glass is nice and the reticle is as well. the Horus website does not really represent it at high power. It's not nearly as cluttered at the website view would lead you to believe.

I hope Bushnell offers an MP-8 type reticle when its finally released to the public.

T

Update-apparently it was a combination of my contacts and the Kansas prarie that made it hazy, and no it wasn't a mirage. Now that I am back in Michigan and have switched out my contacts they are all clear now, weird.

I wonder how the glass compares tot he SS 5-20x50HD that just came out... about the same price

The glass appears to be the same quality as the new 4200's - which is very good for the price.

The amazing thing is you have four quality scopes available right now that are FFP with matching turrets for under a grand: Bushnell, Vortex, Weaver and Super Sniper. And don't forget that Sightron FFP's are going to be available shortly as well.

To me this is a win/win for the tactical/precision shooter and scope manufactures who have found a new niche market. This is pretty cool.

T

Just got mine, feels like you could pound nails with it. Glass looks good to me but I'm no expert by any means.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder how the glass compares tot he SS 5-20x50HD that just came out... about the same price </div></div>

Hopefully i'll find out soon once they ship it to me.

1. The elevation does not bottom out. It just spins. I'd have to see if this affects my zero when I go shoot again.

When you say bottom out do you mean max elevation or do you mean going below your zero? Using my friends his elevation goes almost 3 complete turns and stops no spinning.

2. When you zero the scope...the elevation lines are where they are. I don't know the correct way to state this. So what I am going to do is take a sharpie and black out the lines underneath my zero. If anyone has any better ideas let me know.

His elevation lines exactly line up with each turn. His 100 yd zero is right exactly 2 lines up.

3. The locking elevation knob does not lock into place in the up position. There is a vacuum due to the o-ring that pulls the knob back down. I would have like for the knob to have a locking up position. (When you dial and take your hands off of the knob and then reach to adjust your elevation...then you will have to pull the knob up a little to turn your elevation and/or it feels like you have continue to hold the knob up to turn the elevation).

What we found was that you need to pull the knob up 2-3 times to let out the air that gets trapped inside because of the o-ring. after doing that it stays up, also this is crucial when zeroing. We found that if you didn't pull the knob up 2-3 times that it would sit slightly lower than it should be and the elevation lines wouldn't line up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. The elevation does not bottom out. It just spins. I'd have to see if this affects my zero when I go shoot again.</div></div>

for mine - the knobs got harder to turn, and i didn't want to force anything... i was about at 3 turns.

Just gor mine in. Feels like a solid scope. Don't have any damn
34 mm rings yet so I will have to wait till they come in.
Scope is very clear. I love the knobs. I think they have a very good feel to them.

Just got my scope too...this thing is hefty...and it's a perfect fit for the Seekins 34mm rings I bought from LO. I really like this scope...everything people have said about this scope is spot on. The glass is clear.

I finally have a worthy optic for my TRG 42

In all of the excitement, I just noticed that Horus never included a manual for my scope. I will be calling them up to have one sent out to me.

Figured I'd edit instead of having three posts in a row.

I just got off the phone with Horus...apparently the HDMR scope doesn't come with a manual, but the manual is on their website. Guess I'll just print it off to have a copy of it.

Horus has the information on their website on how to use the reticle, You can download it there. The Blackbird has the same reticle.

The info on the website isn't that great...I was hoping to have a manual just for the HDMR. I haven't quite figured out the knobs...I am under the impression that you turn it with a coin or something flat counter clockwise and pull the knob outward to make the adjustments. Does the knob just push back in and you tighten down the screw?

I am just going back and read that long post about this scope for more info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. The elevation does not bottom out. It just spins. I'd have to see if this affects my zero when I go shoot again.

When you say bottom out do you mean max elevation or do you mean going below your zero? Using my friends his elevation goes almost 3 complete turns and stops no spinning.</div></div>

Could not repeat this situation. I took the elevation back down and it did stop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2. When you zero the scope...the elevation lines are where they are. I don't know the correct way to state this. So what I am going to do is take a sharpie and black out the lines underneath my zero. If anyone has any better ideas let me know.

His elevation lines exactly line up with each turn. His 100 yd zero is right exactly 2 lines up.
</div></div>

My elevation was at 3 lines w/a 20 moa base at 100yards. What I was trying to say is if your friend starts cranking up and down on the elevation knob it is possible to become "lost".

So, what I did was blackout the bottom two lines on mine to know when I am at zero.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3. The locking elevation knob does not lock into place in the up position. There is a vacuum due to the o-ring that pulls the knob back down. I would have like for the knob to have a locking up position. (When you dial and take your hands off of the knob and then reach to adjust your elevation...then you will have to pull the knob up a little to turn your elevation and/or it feels like you have continue to hold the knob up to turn the elevation).

What we found was that you need to pull the knob up 2-3 times to let out the air that gets trapped inside because of the o-ring. after doing that it stays up, also this is crucial when zeroing. We found that if you didn't pull the knob up 2-3 times that it would sit slightly lower than it should be and the elevation lines wouldn't line up. </div></div>

Good to know. Thanks for the input.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any idea what butler creeks to get for this scope? </div></div>

44 and 19

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aubie515</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The info on the website isn't that great...I was hoping to have a manual just for the HDMR. I haven't quite figured out the knobs...I am under the impression that you turn it with a coin or something flat counter clockwise and pull the knob outward to make the adjustments. Does the knob just push back in and you tighten down the screw?

I am just going back and read that long post about this scope for more info. </div></div>

To make elevation adjustments...Just pull the knob all the way out and turn the knob left or right. Pushing knob back down "locks" the elevation knob into place.

Zero the scope. Hold the knob down and use a coin to counterclockwise take off the cap. Take the knob off and reposition the knob to zero. Put the cap back on and tighten it down. GTG.

Hope this helps.

i was zeroing my scope in yesterday... kinda rainy in MN but the scope performed great. I didn't run into that suction thing with the turrets you guys were talking about. Maybe it's because i didn't tighten those cap screw as tight as they could go... I would have, but it started to make a mark with the coin - so i backed off. That metal on the top is kinda soft?!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyrekzz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It started to make a mark with the coin - so i backed off. That metal on the top is kinda soft?! </div></div>

The metal is soft. I marked/indented/scratched mine up pretty good.

I was thinking of having my 'smith make me one w/the torx...just so it would match my seekins rings...it is still just a thought....
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">have to say the objective still looks odd. If it works then I can take "odd"....
smile.gif
</div></div>

it really is an "odd" looking scope but...so far so good.

going to the Spanish Gourd this weekend w/singleshot85. i will test her out to at least 700yards.

It definitely looks more balanced with the sun shade on it. Overall, the length is good.

IMG00177-20110523-1520.jpg

T