• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Review: Enhanced 9mm Gen. 2.5 Kriss Super V

Strykervet

ain'T goT no how whaTchamacalliT
Minuteman
  • Jun 5, 2011
    Pierce County, WA
    Finally got to pick it up, damn WA BS law requires us to wait an extra two weeks or so in order to run yet another background check.

So I wanted something as a host for a Mystic X can I had laying around and no use for, wanted something non-AR or derivative as it seems that's about all I have, and wanted something still "solid" despite being novel. I'd had my eye on the Kriss but was actually going to get a CZ EVO3 but a misunderstanding about suppressor compatibility led to the Kriss instead.

There are 3 different models, gen.1, 2 and 2.5. This one is the 2.5.

First impressions? It's heavy. It's bulky. But it has a decent trigger that I understand the slack can be taken out of rather easily, can be fired rather quickly, has almost no recoil in 9mm, like firing a .22, seriously. Basically doesn't move and followup shots go the same place with no effort from the shooter, first time I shot it a big grin spread across my face and that never happens anymore. Ten shots in a silver dollar group twenty or thirty feet away just fucking around with zero effort or skill employed! Ergonomics is great if you're holding it like it was designed to be held, although the new ones come with a small rail section that allows a more traditional grip (or SBR/AOW it and you can install a grip). It also allows for an additional inch of barrel, coming in at 6.5 vs. 5.5, which is tipped with loooong threads on the muzzle and a nice, large and easily gripped thread protector. I should also mention it's front heavy like a motherfucker, you can see this in the pictures but I figure I'd point it out anyway.

I got this one as a pistol, it was just faster that way. I considered Form 1'ing it soon but I think a nicer, thinner and more solid "brace" than what it came with would may be more ideal because it would keep the pistol designation and a fore grip isn't necessary really given the way the whole front of the weapon can be gripped and pulled in. But who knows, I may SBR it anyway and just rig up something else. I do think it would shine better with an appropriate hook style minimal stock that clears the trigger well and a fore grip, well, can't hurt. As for the folder, the hinge is solid but I'm not a fan of the rubber brace and though it'll accept AR stocks I don't think many of those are suitable save the minimalist designs due to the position of the trigger and safety with respect to the stock in the folded position. But folders are really meant for storage anyway and I can't imagine a situation where you'd fire this with the stock folded anyway so maybe it doesn't matter that much. Still, I think the original factory Kriss stock looks ideal, not sure about the new folding model.

Everything seems well made. It has a polymer housing, but it's all pretty much metal lined. It's solid, it doesn't move or creak or any cheap shit like that. Takedown is easy, maintenance is simple although it will take some learning to perform properly. Again, this is NOT your average SBR/SMG/PCC, whatever. Bolt throw it all of about one inch, seriously. All controls are factory oversize and what you'd want. Charging lever is long and folds and easy to operate and if you grip it close it'll lock back the bolt at the same time. Safety is a 45deg. throw. There is some use of polymer parts but I assume they were doing what they could to keep weight down, it is heavy. Interestingly, for a novel weapon, replacement parts aren't too badly priced from the looks of it. And believe it or not, there are aftermarket items for this including a binary trigger (that only fires binary). Not a fan of those but I gotta admit, it looked fun. I got most of the full auto shit out of my system in the army, still, given the way this thing works firing one of these FA would be a ton of fun (especially considering they spit 'em out at 1200rpm!). Since it was designed to do this with no recoil in a .45 you can imagine how gentle a 9mm semi is.

Sights, it comes with polymer Magpul/Defiance sights. They're okay, metal would be better IMO but I stuck a Mepro MOR I had laying around on it. It really is served best by some kind of reflex or small dot optic. Mepro MOR was designed for Israeli SF use on the Tavor I understand, but with the dual 5mW slaved IR and red lasers to a tri power dot sight, it really kicks ass on the Kriss (thank god because it was another expensive item that needed a home!). Works great! The Mystic X is long, but hey, it does the job and that was the point, to find a host. Now I find myself wanting a 1/2-28 FBA for the Omega 9k though just because it's shorter; I have a fascination with short cans. With the brace extended and the can on it, it's easily as long and as heavy as any AR carbine. But it has damn near zero recoil and ergonomics that I like and it will still compact down nicely yet open up to a fully functional and useful weapon. It's also a lot of fun to shoot. And I should mention it uses Glock mags, ah glorious Glock factory mags! Came with a 17rd., can always use an extra. I got ten of the 33rd. sticks but to be totally honest it just "works" better with the 17rd'er IMO. Nothing sticking out of the bottom and 17rds. ain't shabby. I should mention that yes, it'll accept a Beta C-Mag, and if you had one of these in FA it'd probably be a solid buy.

That front rail section comes on and off with four screws and they make a small rail section that'll attach to the weapon directly as well as three other rail modifications in different lengths and styles but pretty sure the one that comes with it will be the one you want. I put a X200 Surefire on the R side, not sure but it or one like it may be the ideal light for something like this.

Definitely not traditional, but if you want a novel break from all the AR derivatives and want a solid platform you can still depend on, not a gimmick, this one is worth looking into. The unique action isn't gimmicky, it actually works and works well. So far no hiccups, it just works. Accurate and followup shots are tight.

Finally I should mention lowers are available in all the usual pistol calibers. I think a 10mm conversion is on the horizon somewhere. Pop three pins and swap, it's that easy.

As for adopters, Thai SF uses 'em and Panamanian police use 'em on motorcycles. Arms rooms around the world will stock 'em for special guys doing special jobs, but given the novelty of the action it's not a mainstream weapon and probably never will be. Still, I could certainly see myself choosing it over many other options available including UZI and pretty much all the post war designs.

So here's some pictures:

Brace folded, can removed. The KAC panels fit well without modification and provide a much better grip. That sight actually works really well on a weapon like this. Note the stock's position through the triggerguard. This brace will rotate some but you can see how many stocks would be problematic and where a minimalist type end or hook would shine.
    IMG_1208.JPG

Extended with can attached, it's pretty long. And bulky. But it feels and shoots great.
    IMG_1209.JPG

Extended, can and 33rd. mag installed, all the shit together now. Surefire X200 visible from this side.
    IMG_1211.JPG

Sweet blaster man congrats! Looked at these so many times and never pull the trigger. Let me ask you this- I have a plenty good 9mm AR integrally supressed with a 5" barrel. Does this do anything better or is it jest a cooler toy? I keep wanting a Kriss and keep talking myself out of it saying it wont do better than what Ive got. Sucks that semi auto only takes out one of the biggest deciding factors for sure. Bet these rock on FA.

Now when they come out with the 10mm version I may throw in the towel anyway! Thanks for the review....

Reactions: Strykervet
    Sweet blaster man congrats! Looked at these so many times and never pull the trigger. Let me ask you this- I have a plenty good 9mm AR integrally supressed with a 5" barrel. Does this do anything better or is it jest a cooler toy? I keep wanting a Kriss and keep talking myself out of it saying it wont do better than what Ive got. Sucks that semi auto only takes out one of the biggest deciding factors for sure. Bet these rock on FA.

Now when they come out with the 10mm version I may throw in the towel anyway! Thanks for the review....

Umm, you mean something like this 10mm Kriss?
    IMG_1491_sm.jpg

Honestly? For a serious PDW? I'd probably still break out one of my SBR'd .300BLK AR's. Your AR is probably a better tool at the end of the day? I did get it as a cool toy, but one that is still functional, something you can depend on even if it ain't quite choice number one. Not JUST a range toy, still reliable and functional enough to depend on. I just didn't want another AR, that was the number one criteria.

It'll fire pretty fast on semi, the trigger ain't that bad for a weapon like this. 5lbs? Take out the slack and it'll be even better. FA would be the titties for sure and they do make a binary only trigger for 'em if you're interested in one of those. The 10mm conversion is something I'll probably consider later, I love my tens and already have a bag full of G20 mags like I do G17 mags.

IF you wanna get something fun but still handy and useful, this is it, if you want or need something totally dependable in 9mm and the best rational choice I'd have to say stick with traditional designs and get the APC9. Or stick with your AR. A Stribog A3 would be a good cheap alternative too.

There's a reason it's not adopted by more nations, and that's mainly due to some small but hard to overlook issues in a weapon you intend on issuing. For the individual aware of these though it's a different story. This one ain't made to please the masses or get a contract even. It's a unique and functional novel weapon that you'll either like it or not. I'd seriously recommend trying one out before buying it, or at least handling one first, because I promise you've never held or shot anything like it before.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Crang
    Umm, you mean something like this 10mm Kriss?
    View attachment 7168477

Sweet, I didn't get any color options, I guess I was lucky Rainier had what I got in stock while I was there!

I bet it's a blast in 10mm, does it retain any recoil? The 9mm is like firing a .22, tiny groups rapid fired aren't a problem at all and are effortless. It's the biggest thing this weapon brings to the table.

Yeah, I’ve take to ordering thing like this as not many local shops stock much variety.

Recoil on the 10mm is reduced, just not as low as 9mm you noted got down to 22 levels. It feels less than my scorpion though.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Crang
    Yeah, I’ve take to ordering thing like this as not many local shops stock much variety.

Recoil on it is reduced but not down to 22 levels. It feels less than my scorpion though.

I'm talking about the 9mm, it's very tame, at least mine is suppressed (only way I've fired it). The group was just insane for not even trying.

I did notice a few other issues though, like lack of a sling and the fact when you cradle it right handed, it's almost impossible not to drop the mag. You gotta be careful or mindful. I can only wonder how this would work if it were slinged (if you could sling it, another issue). Then there's the problem with the folding stock, pretty much anything but the most minimalist design is going to impact grip/trigger engagement folded and get in the way. Of course folding is mostly just for stowage, it's still nice to be able to use it that way.

I seriously considered SBR'ing it, was shopping for a stock, then came across the Sabertube Tailhook. Costly for what I wanted to spend on this, but it's made of aluminum and I couldn't find a stock or a brace that really fits the bill the way this one does. I should have it in about a week and we'll see how it fits but I can't imagine a lighter or a more minimal setup for one of these.

They make a sling loop that replaces the stock release button, seriously considering that and it should just come with it. A one point sling in the back is probably one of the better options and truth be told, there are no other sling options really unless you make your own and those are limited.

So damn cool sir.. you plan on running anything besides the 180gr subs? Ya oughtta take advantage of that 10mm and run some Lehighs or whatever your preferred projo at a screamin MV like it was meant to man!
    oh, yeah, no point in having a 10mm without getting the most out of the cartridge. I just wanted to see how 'quiet' it could be with subs on the TiRant on there. I'll be ordering some hotter loads to try out. just need to find the time to shoot it more.

I did notice that the damn Holosun magnifier sucks, or maybe is just defective. I cannot get enough tension on it to keep it from flipping out on each shot. Even with the Kriss' reduced recoil. So that's been removed and I don't think I'm really missing out on too much. I just wanted to give it a try. I'll contact holosun on fixing the tension and then I'll sell the magnifier. no real need for it.

Still waiting on the tailhook assy. More I think about it, unless SBR'ing it (and maybe even if doing so) that tailhook and sabertube assy. just seems like the perfect size and setup for one of these. And unless you NEED that front grip, and the more I mess around with it the more I feel I don't, it just seems the tailhook and sabertube assy. is gonna be hard to beat. Also gotta admit, that front rail is a damn nice piece of gear and if you own one of these and don't have that rail section, I'd get one, even if it is for a barrel that's one inch longer. Modified KAC rail covers really make it feel and handle better too. Makes it handle a lot better. Biggest gripe is still fact mag drops easy if you cradle it a certain way and the fact it has no sling accommodation but I think that folding stock screw that has a built in sling loop is going to do the deal just fine. Weight sucks but I got to looking at various sub guns and it's actually sorta average to high average regarding weight. In other words, it's "normal" in the weight department it seems, and this is compared to some quite archaic and older designs as well as newer ones. And it still brings to the table attributes those others can't.

Yeah, it has it's drawbacks. But I still want a 10mm conversion. And after making such a big deal out of finding a Mystic X host, I think I'm gonna wind up getting an ASR mount for an Omega 9k and a 9mm ASR flash hider anyway (considered/considering 3 lug but ASR is much better). Fuck. Now I still need a decent host for the Mystic X. I'm thinking something like an SBR'd traditional carbine like a Marlin Camp 9 or some shit like that may be the solution. I don't know. Maybe I should just leave that long bastard for use on a handgun, I don't know.

As for suppressing 10mm, how's that working out for 'ya? I decided to avoid it despite liking 10mm due to the fact 10mm has increased case capacity (more powder = more gas when burned) more pressure and increased gas volume at pressure when fired. Basically it's loud as hell on paper. 9mm is high pressure but very low case capacity and gas. .45 has a little more gas volume but at a drastically reduced pressure. 10mm is the worst of both worlds, suppressor wise. Or so I read. So how's it compare?

And piss on 180's, if I had a 10mm pistol caliber carbine with reduced recoil like this one I'd be using 200gr. XTP's, velocity dependent on whether a can is being used or not. OR possibly use 165gr. GD's loaded pretty damn warm for best efficiency, 155 XTP's loaded hot work well too and achieve high velocity without coming apart. Those fancy brass bullets are just too damn expensive for me to work up a load, practice enough to be efficient and confident in their reliability, and then stock enough to both shoot and have on hand. I can load way more XTP's and those are a very solid bullet, especially in 10mm.

For 9mm I'm currently using 147gr. HP's, Winchester. I'd like to find some kind of 158's if I can.

On the 9, just go with a 3-lug on the barrel. Hansohn Brothers has some well priced 3-lug muzzle devices. I did that with my micro and so can use either my TiRant 9M or my Omega 9k easily. and quickly.

For the 10MM suppression - I always shoot with ear pro and so its not bad either way. There is a noticeable difference between suppressed and un-suppressed, it's just not nearly the reduction as on a 9. And, yeah, still loud.

It's growing on me, I'm getting more used to it's nuances. It is a totally different weapon than anything else I've used. Heavy and awkward, it's actually very comfortable to shoulder and use.

Well, I got that Tailhook/Sabertube assy. Wow, what an improvement. Closest thing to a minimal folding stock, no rubber or velcro, one side flips down and forms a cantilever brace you can put your arm in, so as far as a brace goes, it's the best one I've seen. Locks up in place. They ain't cheap but if you want a solid and minimalist type brace then this is it. Almost weightless.

I went with a 9mm ASR mount and got the parts for the Omega 9k. It wasn't too bad all said and done. I still have the boosters and I think I have a fixed barrel mount somewhere too. Nice can. I thought about the 3 lug, Sico was out of some of the parts at the time. I kinda like the ASR though truth be told. I have a couple Saker's that'll be using those when the stamps come back.

The Mepro Mor seems to be the way to go but who knows, I may change that in the future since I don't really need the 5mW red/IR slaved laser system. An EoTech or MOR or Aimpoint would suffice I think. Mepro Mor doesn't work well on AR's though so not many options unless I get a Tavor and I'm not so sure I will.

Anyway, this is what I ended up with and note how in the folded position the trigger is totally unobstructed, like it was made for it:

IMG_1238.JPG

IMG_1237.JPG
    IMG_1241.JPG

Reactions: Cheyenne Bodie
    Do they have any more aftermarket trigger options for these yet? Last time I checked there was only one or two and they didn't sound quite up my alley. I heard they made the factory one a little better but haven't tried it again.

If I didn't have to give a left nut to own machine guns I would have one of these things in a heartbeat.