• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Review - IOR 2.5-10x42 (Newer Model)

AJBello

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2008
Salem, OR
I had a great time at the range today with my new IOR. VERY pleased with this little scope.

I called Scott up last week and chatted with him about this scope. Well, he sold me, and I sure am glad he did. It arrived yesterday, and apparently shipped directly from Valdada. The box / packaging / instructions are nothing exciting, but I suppose that's not what we buy a rifle scope for. Pics:

IOR10.jpg

IOR11.jpg

IOR12.jpg

IOR13.jpg

My initial impression of the scope was very good. The glass looked as favorable as it could just peeking through it indoors and down the street while dark. I was extremely impressed with the turret feel. This is my first IOR, and had no idea what to expect (except what was relayed to me by others). After a brief initial inspection I put it away in anticipation for today's range trip.

I woke up this morning and loaded 50 rounds (why do I always wait until the last second to load???). Loaded everything up and headed to the range, which is about 45 minutes away. A short side stop was in order though. Scott was still out of Seekins rings so I had to get something to mount this bad boy. It just so happens that US Tactical Supply is more or less on the way to the range, and they had one last set of Badger 30mm standards (.823” height). I swung in and picked those up, and hit the range.

I got the IOR mounted all up and am very pleased with the “aesthetics” of it on the LTR. It's a good fit for a shorter barreled rifle, and doesn't overpower the gun like some larger scopes I've had on it. It also feels great as it is relatively light weight (the spec sheet claims 18 oz, I didn't confirm that). After mounting I got it zeroed up, ran a reticle / tracking check, and burned the rest of my rounds just getting used to the scope.

For the reticle / tracking test I randomly placed 5 target dots on a large piece of paper. I then shot 5 3 shot groups, all using the lowest dot as my aiming point. This was to ensure that the reticle and turrets were true and corresponded with each other. After shooting the last group I returned the turrets to zero and shot a 4th shot into the original dot, ensuring return to zero. The turret cranking ended up going like this:

ZERO ---> FIRED 3
UP 2.2 – RIGHT 1.2 ---> FIRED 3
BACK TO ZERO
UP 3.6 – LEFT 0.7 ---> FIRED 3
BACK TO ZERO
UP 5.2 – LEFT 0.3 ---> FIRED 3
BACK TO ZERO
UP 6.0 – RIGHT 1.8 ---> FIRED 3
BACK TO ZERO ---> FIRED 1

Picture of the target:

IOR_TARGET.jpg

I would say the scope passed with flying colors. I think the small amount of error there was, was certainly due to my mediocre (at best) milling. The last shot after return to zero was smack dab with the first 3. This exercise is definitely a confidence builder.

Regarding the glass, it definitely gave me that “WOW” factor. Crystal clear edge to edge, bright, vibrant... what else can I say, it's really nice to my eye. As good or better than anything else I've looked through. Even on 10X, I didn't find shadowing due to head position an issue at all. It was fairly forgiving and took a distinct movement to lose any sight picture.

Regarding the reticle, I like it. I'm not sure if I like the “dot” style better or an open center design better (Leupold TMR style), but I'm pretty sure I prefer both to a run of the mill “crosshair”. One of my few complaints about the scope is you really lose sight picture diameter from 4X down to 2.5X. A bunch. The reticle is also really small on 2.5X. Due to those two things, this will pretty much be a 4X-10X scope in practical use for me. Here are some pictures of the reticle (target boards are at 200 yards):

2.5X (Note how much smaller the sight picture is within the tube)
RET25X.jpg

4X
RET4X.jpg

6X
RET6X.jpg

8X
RET8X.jpg

10X
RET10X.jpg

Re: Review - IOR 2.5-10x42 (Newer Model)

The illumination is quite nice, only lighting up the “dot”. The illum knob is nice and positive... I don't see it getting accidentally turned on. Picture of that (10X on max illum):

RETILLUM.jpg

Another through the scope (10X - 200 yard target):

IOR4.jpg

Some more random shots:

IOR6.jpg

IOR5.jpg

IOR3.jpg

IOR2.jpg

Knob close ups:

IOR7.jpg

IOR8.jpg

IOR9.jpg

AJ,

Nice review, and you covered everything. I have that scopes big brother the 3-18x42mm FFP MIL/MIL and I'm very pleased with it.

I really like that reticle, the modified MP-8. The more I use it, the better I like it. Having a full 15 mils of hashs under your zero, means never having to dial a 308, if you don't want to.

Best of luck with yours,

Bob

One of my biggest concerns about ordering the IOR was the unknown of the turret "feel". I had never laid hands on an IOR before this and had no idea what to expect. Personally I can't stand "mush" between clicks and appreciate a nice positive audible / tactile *CLICK*. While on the phone with Scott, he compared the knob feel to a Leupold M1... I don't think you're giving them enough credit with that comparison Scott. The M1 knobs I've had experience with left a little to be desired. The clicks were there, but there was some "mush" or "slop" in between (maybe I just felt a couple of bad apples).

For me, Nightforce has the optimal knob feel and clicks. My USO EREKs were right there with it, and so is this IOR. There is no slop between the clicks, just a nice crisp movement when you reach the required pressure. Kind of like a nicely tuned trigger with no creep!
grin.gif
Here's a quick video of the elevation knob (windage is equally positive):

The only nitpick I have about the knob at this point is a slight (and I mean <span style="font-weight: bold">SLIGHT</span>) inconsistency in the resistance throughout the entire travel. The clicks are always positive and nice, but they do feel just a touch heavier at points. It's so slight it's hardly worth mentioning, but I did notice it.

With my factory LTR and a Seekins 20 MOA base I have 19.7 mils of "up" from my zero. With my 175 SMK load JBM says that will get me out to 1300+ yards.
cool.gif
That's way more than I intend to shoot with this rifle, but it's nice to know it's there. That's not counting the 15 mils built into the reticle. In theory between the two I could get out right around the one mile mark.

Again, very happy with this scope so far. More updates to come after some more trigger time with it...

Great review. I have one older, non exposed knob version of the the scope and love it. It sits atop my SPR clone. IOR has put out some decent product at an affordable price. I am contemplating it's bigger brother for my 308. Need to see how the Viper PST's look but that 3-18 seems to be calling my credit card.