• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Review: Kahles 624i vs Trijicon AccuPower 4.5-30 FFP: FOV vs CA vs $$

RoninISC

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2011
As title states these were the big variables IMO.
I am not a scope expert. My experience is comprised of older Nightforce, Triji ACOG’s, Horus, and looking through lots of random tier 2/3 scopes at counters.
The testing was done on a mostly sunny day, viewing buildings, various urban objects, brick chimneys etc, from 100-300m, occasionally w semi obscuring foliage. I have not consulted specs, it’s all subjective. These were done non-mounted.
---------------
I did not love the CA on my Kahles, and read good things about the Triji—a LOW with great bang for buck-- so went for a replacement. I realized before I sold the Kahles I could do a comparo for people, so this. This may be moot, as the 525i has replaced the 624i, but wth.

Major differences:

FOV: Kahles >>Triji. Very evident. FOV is one of the things you think you don’t care about, until you start peering around for your target at high mag. I appreciated it.

CA: Triji>Khales. No surprise. I guess I am just very CA sensitive, as I noticed it on the Triji as well. The 624i center is decent, but worse farther towards edge you look. Even the reticle has mild CA.
Revelation: The 624i does have more CA everywhere, BUT if you only focus on center, it is not horrible. You can think of the extra FOV as a ‘bonus’, albeit with CA. If you are not CA sensitive, it may be a non issue. I think other scopes handle CA by just cutting the FOV.

Cost: Triji>>Kahles by $1200 on Europtic.

Minor differences:

Eye Box: Kahles>Trij. The Kahles feels a lot easier to get behind, it has a less extreme 'fuzzier' cutoff when off align. If you have your rig setup properly, perhaps this is a non issue.

Eye Relief: Trij>Kahles See above re setup. Since everyone likes pics, I’ve included one.

The only issue I can imagine w the Kahles is w shorter relief and shorter rear tube, you may have to get a closer cheek weld. The Triji is better for this and fore scope accessories.

Elevation Turrets: Triji>=Kahles. The Trij is slightly more distinct/firm. Same .1 clicks. Khales has the 2nd turn popup. Windage not tested.

Mag Range: Triji>=Kahles . Things get exponential at high mag, and 6x more is not as dramatic as it sounds at that level. I didn’t feel like the 24 was much of a handicap compared to the 30. The next significant step would be a 50x for me.

Parallax: Kahles>Trij. Kahles puts greater difference where you need it: further away. The Triji dial focuses closer. Both scopes required careful focus of the parallax not just for parallax, but for clear image.

Resolution: Kahles>==Trij. Very similar! I didn’t conduct any chart/reading tests, so take this w even smaller salt. They both had that bright white LOW look, and it was very hard to see much difference at center image.

Reticle: Kahles SKMR3>=Trij. I’m all about dots and green, so I was hyped about this ret. It is good, but I think a touch too thin. Illumination not tested on the Trij(no battery); maybe w illum its perfect. The dots work better at high mag, lines better at low/mid. The Kahles ret was slightly easier to read at all mag ranges.

Weight: Khales>Trij. The Triji is more compact but heavier.
-------------------------
So like everything, it depends on your application, eyes and preference. Hope this adds one more data point to the decision matrix.

Thanks for the review. The more I use my 4.5-30FFP trijicon the more I like it. At what power did you compare the FOV to the Kahles?

Thanks for the review. The more I use my 4.5-30FFP trijicon the more I like it. At what power did you compare the FOV to the Kahles?

Mostly at 24 but also 10 and I think even 6. The Trij certainly tunnels.
I agree its nearly impossible to beat at that price.

Interesting. There is no tunneling at all on my scope.

Perhaps tunnel is the wrong term then. I mean it has lower fov, even more noticeably imo at higher mag, vs the khales.